The Siege of Minas Tirith COMPLETE WITH PHOTOS

For all your heroic war stories.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Re: The Siege of Minas Tirith COMPLETE WITH PHOTOS

Postby Gondoristhebest » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:50 pm

ik. in the book when he's even within a hundred feet everyone falls to the ground half dead with fear and anyone he actually touches or gets close enough to gets black breath and dies.
"Never underestimate the stupidity of a human being" - Matthew Klein
Gondoristhebest
Squire

Postby stickybottle22 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:13 pm

plus he beats Gandalf in a fight! that's in the extended version but even that one is kind of anti climactic. and doesn't Merry kill him in the book?
stickybottle22
Squire

Postby JornOvera » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:32 am

A great battle report, very enjoyable to read.

stickybottle22 wrote:plus he beats Gandalf in a fight! that's in the extended version but even that one is kind of anti climactic. and doesn't Merry kill him in the book?

I know! I was expecting at least some swordplay, or something akin to the fight between Gandalf and Saruman in the Fellowship. Not just a bit of banter and some sorcerous hit and run! And no, I'm pretty certain that Eowyn killed him. I think Merry helps though. It's an important moment where the two most unlikely soldiers take down the enemy commander together. Love and compassion overcome physical strength and martial prowess, etc.

Eldarion Telcontar wrote:As I understand from the extended edition special features, that character was supposed to be Beregond but the part ended up so minor that it did the character no justice at all and so they just made up a name for him. So in the end, hes neither.

That's correct. The only thing I can add is that his name is 'Irolas'. I think it's a shame Beregond didn't get included. I rather like the chap.
"That's impossible, there's no such thing as trolls."
"Then how do you explain all the dead unicorns?"
JornOvera
Squire

Postby Gondoristhebest » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:52 am

he only beats Gandalf in the movie. its kinda unrealistic since gandalf is a maia and on parr with a balrog (who is waaay more powerful than a ring wraith.
Gondoristhebest
Squire

Postby stickybottle22 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:57 am

but I thought the Witch-King was like the 2nd most powerful evil character besides Sauron himself? with him being his chief lieutenant and all. and yeah, the fight was pretty crappy. seemed very boring.
stickybottle22
Squire

Postby JornOvera » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:41 am

Yeah, well it kind of explains why it's only in the extended edition. And come to think of it, it was barely even a fight. Just..."Hey Gandalf, nice staff!" "Huh?" "Ha!" "NOOOOoooOOOOooooooo".
JornOvera
Squire

Postby Gondoristhebest » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:52 pm

no the balrog is more powerful than the which king and gandalf is more powerful than the balrog. ergo, Gandalf is more powerful than the witching.

in the book he actually gets him to go away from the gates of minas tirith. (gandalf gets the which king that is)

P.S. have you guys even read the book?
Gondoristhebest
Squire

Postby JornOvera » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:20 pm

Gondoristhebest wrote:P.S. have you guys even read the book?

Steady there, patronising tones never lead anywhere good!

And I don't think that logic really applies. Firstly, I don't think Gandalf was more powerful than the Balrog. Considering they both died, at best they were equal. And if Gandalf wasn't protecting Frodo and the others, I doubt he would have dared fight the Balrog. Not so much a typical day-in-the-life, so to speak.

And hey, it's not like everyone's walking around with Power Levels. Different characters draw power from different sources. For instance, the Witch King's power is drawn from Sauron's will. So close to Mordor, he was extremely powerful. In my opinion, the whole idea was that Gandalf and the Witch King were quite evenly matched for this battle. I have in fact read the book, and I know that it never said anything like "The Witch King was leading the army of Mordor against Minas Tirith, defended by Gandalf. Luckily enough, Gandalf had previously killed the Balrog, who was blatantly more powerful than the Witch King, so no need to worry here guys. Everything's going to be fine."
JornOvera
Squire

Postby stickybottle22 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:35 pm

Gondoristhebest wrote:no the balrog is more powerful than the which king and gandalf is more powerful than the balrog. ergo, Gandalf is more powerful than the witching.

in the book he actually gets him to go away from the gates of minas tirith. (gandalf gets the which king that is)

P.S. have you guys even read the book?

that's a little patronizing isn't it?

and I myself haven't read the book, but my uncle has read it several times and told me lots about it, he even said that the Witch-King was mega powerful at Minas Tirith while he was very weak in the Shire. so I think JornOvera is right here, there isn't any set power levels or anything. plus doesn't Gandalf say that he hasn't fully tested his power against the Witch-King or something? a bit like going into a test you don't know anything about, you're not going to do very good.
stickybottle22
Squire

Postby Gondoristhebest » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:36 pm

sorry for being patronizing i didn't mean to be.

you should read the book its my personal favorite in the world!

the only problem i really have of it is that in the book gandalf actually scares the witching away from the gate. whereas in the movie the witching defeats him and is about to kill him but then has to go becuz of the rohirrim.

i think that is true however, that the witching is more powerful near mordor.
Gondoristhebest
Squire

PreviousNext

Return to Battle Reports