Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Re: The Siege of Minas Tirith COMPLETE WITH PHOTOS

Postby stickybottle22 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:21 pm

haha yeah I get carried away with talking about things that aren't relevant xD
stickybottle22
Squire

Postby JornOvera » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:58 pm

That's ok. From what I've seen on most posts, if this site had a catchy slogan, it would be "The Last Alliance - Masters of Tangent".
"That's impossible, there's no such thing as trolls."
"Then how do you explain all the dead unicorns?"
JornOvera
Squire

Postby anton » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:45 pm

great! tell me, how did you build that walls, they are fabulous ;)
Let's get this started
anton
Villager

Postby Eldarion Telcontar » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:10 pm

@Stickybottle2 & JornOvera.

Having Sauron make a personal appearence at the Battle of the Black Gate would have just twisted the story almost beyond recognition. Not only would it have completely contradicted the books, I think it would also have detracted from the Heroism of all who volunteered (because Aragorn would only take willing participants in the final battle) to stand with Aragorn & co. at the Black Gate.

The War of the Ring couldn't possibly have been won through conventional strength of arms - Saurons Legions were simply far too vast to defeat outright; and the armies of the Free Peoples were too exhausted and depleted after centuries and millenia of warfare. The army of Free People who defied Sauron at the Black Gate faced certain death and they knew it. The battle was essentially a last gambit, a "Hey Sauron! Over here, look at me!" to draw Saurons Legions out of Mordor and give the Ringbearer the chance to fulfill his Quest.

Having Sauron personally appear at the battle would have totally undermined that heroism and sacrifice, because then the Battle would have been about Killing Sauron (or otherwise defeating him in person) to win the war; as opposed to deliberately and knowingly fighting to the death on the slim chance that it would help the Ringbearer.

Its a case of Bravery in the face of apparent hopelessness (something which is touched upon in the Extended Edition DVD appendices; versus Killings Sauron himself and ending the War by cutting off the head of the snake (the quick and easy way).
Eldarion Telcontar
Standard Bearer

Postby JornOvera » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:03 am

That's a great way of looking at it. And I must say I totally agree. I can't really stress how glad I am that they didn't do the Sauron version.
"That's impossible, there's no such thing as trolls."
"Then how do you explain all the dead unicorns?"
JornOvera
Squire

Postby Lord Hyper » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:27 am

Thanks! I used styrofoam as the main 'flesh' and shape of the walls. The as the 'skin' I used foamboard to make sure it was completely flat. Then I cut up LOTS of cardboard rectangles and glued them on the wall.
Lord Hyper
Standard Bearer

Previous

Return to Battle Reports