Murin and Drar Scenarios

For all your heroic war stories.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Squire

Murin and Drar Scenarios

Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Here are some scenarios i made up involving Murin and Drar. They are linked together to form a campaign. It may seem a little like battle companies but its not. My friend and i played them once to figure out the problems which i fixed. We are going to try them again and hopefully get the battle reports on here. I had some pictures to help explain the layout and set up but i cant find a way to upload them.

Bitter Consequences

Murin and Drar were travelling through a forest when they came upon a group of rather helpless looking men from Dale. They said they were travelling to the Blue Mountains to trade with dwarvish inhabitants when they had been ambushed by a band of Haradrim. They said the Haradrim were led by a Hasharin who killed their leader and made off with their treasure. Murin and Drar decide to help them out of sympathy. After travelling all night Murin and Drar catch up to them on a road.

Layout: The battle is played on a 4’ by 4’ board. It is scattered with rocks and trees with a road travelling from the southwest corner to the northeast corner.

Starting Positions: The Haradrim deploy first in the 8” box in the northwest corner. Murin and Drar may deploy anywhere at least 24” away from the haradrim.

Objectives: Evil: The Hasharin must escape the board edge inside the red circle on the southwest of the board. Good: Must kill the Hasharin and retrieve the treasure. The game ends when the Hasharin either leaves the board or is killed. If the treasure is on the board and not in evil hands at the end of the game, Murin and Drar successfully retrieve it.

Special Rules:
The Forest: The Haradrim are afraid of the forest and what might lurk inside. If a Haradrim model wishes to leave the road, he must take a courage test. If he passes he may move into the forest. IF he fails, he will move his full distance towards the end of the road. If a Haradrim model starts his move off the road, he must take a courage test. If he passes he may move normally. If he fails he must move his full distance towards the road.
Treasure: The Haradrim are carrying a treasure token.
Forces:
Good: Murin, Drar, and Company
Evil: Hasharin, 4 Haradrim w/ spear, 2 Haradrim with bow, 1 Haradrim raider.
Rewards:
If Murin and Drar get the treasure, then one of the men of Dale joins them:
Bänar
Move F S D A W C
6” 4/4+ 3 5 1 1 4
Wargear: Heavy Armor, sword, and bow.
If Murin and Drar kill the Hasharin, then they are joined by an elf:
Iliun
Move F S D A W C
6” 5/2+ 3 3 1 1 5
Wargear: Elf bow, throwing knives, elven cloak.

Troll Season

Murin and Drar had travelled many days without running into any trouble. One day, during lunch, they heard what sounded like a battle not too far off. They stopped lunch, much to the dismay of Drar, and started heading towards the noise. By nightfall, they had reached the source of the commotion: a small town under attack by orcs. The town had a substantial garrison but it was getting obliterated by the orc captain’s pet troll. Murin and Drar saw that the only hope for the town was to kill the troll.

Layout: On the top half of the board there are houses, barricades and some ruins. ON the bottom there are some trees.

Starting positions: The town garrison sets up on the top of the board 12" from the board edge. Murin, Drar and company set up on the bottom 6” from the edge. The evil side sets up in the middle.

Objectives: Evil: The evil side must kill the entire town garrison. Good: The good side must kill the troll. The Game ends as soon as one of these is completed.

Special Rules:
Night Fighting

Forces:

Good: Murin, Drar and Company
Town Garrison: 1 Captain of Men (use Rohirrim) with Heavy Armor and shield. 4 men w/ armor and bows, 4 men w/ throwing spears, 8 men w/ swords and shields.

Evil: 1 Orc Captain with armor and shield, 1 orc Shaman, 8 orcs w/ shield and sword, 8 orcs w/ shield and spear, 4 orcs w/ bow, and 4 orcs w/ 2-handed weapon.

Rewards: If Murin and Drar lose, they are joined by 3 men from the town:
Townsmen
Move F S D A W C
6” 3/- 3 5 1 1 3
Wargear: Armour, sword, shield.

If they win, they are joined by 3 warriors from the town and a knight from the town:
Rūmar
Move F S D A W C
6” 4/- 3 6 1 1 4
Wargear: Heavy armor, shield, horse.

Hunger Pains (I made the name up on my own even though it is the name of a GW scenario w/ Murin and Drar already)

Murin and Drar haven’t met any friendly people for a while and are starting to run low in food. They have a group of people who fight alongside them and they must eat if they are to continue to rid Middle Earth of the evil of Sauron. They have discovered an old ruined outpost filled with food but manned by evil men. Murin and Drar know it is victory…….or hunger and NOTHING will stand in the way of their dinner.

Layout: The board is scattered with ruins and trees and has a large hill/ruin/building in the center of the table.

Starting positions: The Easterling Captain starts in the center piece along with 6 Easterling archers and 3 Easterling swordsmen. The rest of the Easterlings are scattered around the board on sentry duty. They are always at least 8” from the edge of the board.

Objectives: Good: Murin and Drar must get at least 2 barrels of food and bring them back to their deployment zone.
Evil: Must kill 25% of the good side.

Special Rules:
Sentries: All the models outside of the middle ruin count as sentries. The models inside of the middle ruin may not do anything until the alarm is raised.
Barrels of Food: There are 4 barrels of food scattered across the board. They count as a heavy object for the purposes of carrying.

Forces:
Evil: Easterling Captain with Easterling pike and shield, 12 Easterlings with bows, and 8 Easterlings with swords and shields.

Rewards: IF Murin and Drar get 2 barrels, then anyone in their company who died during the game stays in their band. If they get 3 barrels, then they may spend up to 30 points on a model from the Free Peoples book. If they get 4, then they may spend up to 50 points on 2 models from the free peoples book.

The Challenge

Drar and Murin were in a town in Rohan trading rabbits for arrows for Murin when they were approached by a hooded dwarf. He said he had heard about their travels and would like to join their band but they would have to prove their greatness. He said that the villagers around the area were constantly being attacked by giant spiders from Mirkwood. He said in order to stop the attacks they would have to kill the spider queen. They happily agreed and, after a snack, got their band ready to go spider hunting.

Layout: The board is covered with trees with a ruin in the middle of the board.

Starting Positions: The evil side sets up in the ruin in the middle. The good side sets up on any of the board edges.

Objectives:
Good: Must kill the Spider Queen.
Evil: Must kill Murin or Drar. The game ends the instant one of these are completed.

Special Rules:
Unending Swarm: Every time a giant spider is slain, it reenters the game from the ruin the next turn.

Forces:
Evil: Spider Queen, 2 bat swarms, 4 giant spiders.

Rewards: IF Murin and Drar win then the dwarf joins their band:
Etako
Move F S D A W C
5” 5/4+ 4 7 2 1 4
Wargear: Dwarf Heavy armor, axe, throwing axes, 2 handed axe.
Special Rule: Etako may throw his throwing axes even if he is engaged in combat.

Damsel in Distress

Murin and Drar are travelling through the woods when they hear the screams of a lady. They hurry towards the sound and reach a haradrim encampment where they have a prisoner. Murin and Drar know they have so save her or they will kill her, or worse.

Layout: The board is scattered with trees and rocks with a camp on the top. The camp should have lots of buildings maybe some berricades...

Starting Positions: The Haradrim set up in the camp with the prisoner 18" from the board edge. Murin, Drar and Company set up 12” from the edge on the bottom.

Objectives:
Good: The good side must rescue the prisoner by having her leave the board from their deployment edge.
Evil: Must kill 25% of good side. The game ends when one of these is completed.

Special Rules:
Prisoner: The prisoner is unconscious. You may either carry her or wake her. If you carry her, she counts as a heavy burden. If you wake her, roll 1 dice for each good model not in combat in contact with her. If you roll a 5 or a 6, she is awake. She may then move on her own. If an enemy model comes into contact with her they win and knock her out.

Forces:
Evil: Haradrim Captain with bow, 12 haradrim w/ bow, 12 haradrim w/ spear, 1 Watcher of Karna, 3 half trolls.

Rewards: If Murin and Drar rescue the prisoner, she joins their band:
Illana
Move F S D A W C
6” 2/5+ 3 3 1 1 3
Wargear: Spear, bow.
Special Rules: All models within 3” of Illana, count as being in range of a banner. (everyone wants to impress her)

And so does her friend:
Drajan
Move F S D A W C
6” 4/- 5 5 2 1 6
Wargear: Heavy armor, 2 handed sword.
"I WANT YOU TO MAKE THEM BLEED OUT THEIR EAR HOLES". -JC

Villager

Re: Murin and Drar Scenarios

Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:32 pm

good ideas there. if i can get murin and drar off of ebay cheap i will try it out :)

Squire

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:50 pm

They are loads of fun.

Squire

Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:42 pm

Thanks for this. It appears GW is taking a lot of the old articles off the site, or at least making them harder to find. :geek:

Squire

Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:54 pm

No problem.

Villager

Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:51 pm

Great ideas u make me want to run single heros the same way but doing like battle componys great work :D

Squire

Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:59 pm

Thanks

Villager

Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:29 pm

Its good to have them with GW making all the changes on the site i want to go try one out now :-D

Squire

Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:36 pm

Theyre tons of fun

Villager

Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:52 pm

Just to ask have u done any other Scenarios u have made

Next
Return to Battle Reports