Photos from the Lord of the Rings Cup

For all your heroic war stories.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Site Admin

Photos from the Lord of the Rings Cup

Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:36 am

This year's LOTR Cup was a spectacular 1,000 points, allowing good sized armies with lots of monsters and characterful heroes in support. I took the Fiefdom of Dol Amroth, with the Great Eagle Gwahir allied in (because everybody needs a monstrous flyer, right?)

Photos as promised:

Game one: Civil War in Gondor vs Pete's Army of Minas Tirith

Boromir leads the Armies of Minas Tirith against the upstart rebels of the Fiefdom of Dol Amroth. The mission was the Lords of Battle, fighting to destroy one another's Army, Leader and Banner Bearers.

The Feifdom's march under their blue banner as Boromir and his knights prepare an early charge.

A captain of Dol Amroth takes on Boromir (red shield), and both use the Heroic Strike ability to raise their fighting skill for a single turn. Luck is on his side as the Captain manages to beat Boromir, and Peter decided not use further Might points knowing the Captain wouldn't be able to kill Boromir in a single turn.

The Fiefdom's allied Eagle swooped over both armies and grabbed the enemy banner bearer, hurling it through his friends. Even if this hadn't killed him, it would have robbed them of the banner's rerolls for the turn.

The Banner bearer predictably didn't survive, tipping the balance against the Guardians of the Fountain court on the left flank.

Meanwhile, the Captain decided to kill Boromir's horse rather than attack the man himself, greatly reducing his damage potential in coming turns. Boromir took out his displeasure by fighting back hordes of infantry time and again.

Pete's army of Minas Tirith included Gandalf, who was well positioned to sorcerous blast infantry down the line and assist his allies.

However, even when he was knocked to the ground, to beat Prince Imrahil, Faramir and his supporting infantry would need to roll at least one six. His result?

Gwahir the Eagle joined the fight against Boromir, who managed to beat them back again but was tiring as his Might began to run out.

Even the mightiest of heroes fall eventually, and Boromir was finally swept away.

The result was a major victory, with the leader slain, enemy army broken and banner killed. Great game Pete, as always!

Site Admin

Re: Photos from the Lord of the Rings Cup

Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:36 am

Snapshots from other tables:

Scoju's wicked catapult uses a Mordor Troll both to defend it and to allow it to fire twice per turn. This siege engine was upgraded to throw Severed Heads at the enemy, forcing courage tests for everyone in the blast radius.

Black Numenorians serving the Golden King of Akrhban battle elves and Treebeard.

The Golden King rides into battle on a litter, and as well as being an excellent fighter can bribe enemies to reduce courage rolls.

A game won by treachery - Rick had Grimma Wormtongue infiltrate the enemy army (who have to treat him as friendly as long as Saruman is alive) and take the objective (wounded Boromir).

His opponent managed to kill Saruman, allowing Legolas to take a shot at Grimma at the last moment of the last turn -- only to find out that with Grimma nearby, Legolas was drained of the ability to use one might point to wound and kill him. Excellent use of this dispicable hero by Rick.
"I only serve you!"

Squire

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:45 pm

Great stuff!

Warrior

Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Nice photos as always Matt! Do you have more? I assume it wouldn't be called u CUP it it was only one match? :D

Good to see you still play with that awesome looking Fiefdoms army!
Middle-Earth Monster Mash - 4th (Mordor+Harad)
Middle-Earth Monster Mash II - 4th (Galadhrim)
Middle-Earth Monster Mash III - 2nd (Thorin's Company)
Middle-Earth Monster Mash IV - 7th (Minas Morgul)

Squire

Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:41 pm

Please sir, can we have some more?

Warrior

Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:25 pm

Looks good!
Who ever said swimming was easier then running never swam a 400 I.M.

Proud swimmer and athlete for Queen's University of Charlotte

Squire

Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:32 pm

Really good! Great pictures.
;) ;) ;)

Site Admin

Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:01 am

Denizen of The Deep wrote:Nice photos as always Matt! Do you have more? I assume it wouldn't be called u CUP it it was only one match? :D
Good to see you still play with that awesome looking Fiefdoms army!

Yes, more to come. The pics came out pretty well considering I am just using an iPhone. I think the key is to get down to a dramatic model's eye view rather than just distant table overviews.

Standard Bearer

Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:24 am

Fantastic pictures and I really like the idea of the Gondorian civil war.

Site Admin

Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:17 am

Game Two vs David: The Grey Company and the Eagles

Round two was Domination, with points scored for holding 5 objectives. My opponent Dave had an unusual army, as each Grey Company archer is a hero, and each hero can be deployed independently, he only had to place 5 models by the time I had had to place my entire army. I was concerned about being pulled out of place, so deployed as far forward and as central to the objectives as possible.

With my army placed, Dave proceeded to place the rest of his men, half on a defendable hill with Eagles behind them ready to counter charge, and half in some woods with Aragorn on the far flank. I have to say that the ability to hold so much back until the opponent is deployed is a huge advantage for the bow-armed Grey Company.

My first move was a not very heroic "Heroic Move" to get the heck out of those woods -- his heroes would slice through my own archers like hot knives through butter unless I withdrew and returned en masse.

My archers couldn't see Aragorn due to his stealthy Elven cloak, but you can't blame the petrified troll for trying to point him out :D

[img]With the hill blunting my charge, the enemy eagles and Grey Company begand dismantling the right flank, with men thron through each other or struck down by arrows.

On the left, the Grey company began to kill the troops sent in to deal with them as Aragorn killed my great eagle.

It was looking grim, but I had small groups of men heading to each objective to try secure a win or draw even if the rest of the army died.

Trapping an eagle from all sides, the infantry finally put some wounds on one of them.

With no other way to take out Aragorn without massive casualties, Prince Imrahil had bedudgingly dismounted from his warhorse and dropped his lance in order to enter the small forest. Against the pike supported Prince, even Aragorn couldn't last forever, and was finally struck down. A few men remained on the Well objective while the prince and the rest rushed to help avoid a rout on the other flank.

While my army had suffered far more casualties up to this stage, the heroes of the Grey Company were now growing weary, having exhuasted the supplies of Might and Fate that makes them so much more than average archers.

Dave had played a good strategy with his force on either flank and took full advantage of terrain, but by the end of the game the Fiefdom army held 4 objectives with the 5th contested, and scored a major win.

Next
Return to Battle Reports