The Will of Mordor: Iron's Army Blog

For all painting related discussions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Re: The Will of Mordor: Iron's Army Blog

Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:24 pm

Update: April 17, First Test-Orc Painted

A number of obnoxious exams and papers kept me fairly busy for the past week, but nonetheless I managed to do some painting. It felt really good to paint again after maybe 3 or 4 months off, even though while he didn't turn out that great. Also, I'm just getting adjusted to the (limited) palette I brought with me to my dorm... it's a real change from having a couple hundred colors at your disposal at home!

Some pictures of the orc:

From the front:

From the back:

And both side shots:

I didn't have enough colors to really do much with his hair, so I think I'll try and get my hands on some different neutral shades and redo his hair at some point. It's also probably worth mentioning that -- albeit unusually -- the color scheme for my army is going to be blue.

Other than the hair, this guy is pretty much done in my book. His eyes are a little freaky, but I couldn't figure out a way to fix them well.

Comments and criticism are much appreciated!

--Iron

Standard Bearer

Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:29 pm

Ironhorse106 wrote:Other than the hair, this guy is pretty much done in my book. His eyes are a little freaky, but I couldn't figure out a way to fix them well.

I think they look good - Orc-like.

I also think that Blue is a good change from the normal brown colour schemes.

Keep up the good work.

Standard Bearer

Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:09 pm

I like the paint job, but I feel the blue is a little too bright. The head is great, looks very Orc-like (although the eyes make it seem a little zombiefied -quite fitting for cannon fodder :p)
Armies:
Kingdoms of Men(Minas Tirith, Fiefdoms, Arnor), The Free Peoples(Durin's Folk, The Fellowship, The Wanderers in the Wild, The White Council), Mordor, The Fallen Realms(Isengard, Harad and Umbar, The Eastern Kingdoms), Moria & Angmar

Squire

Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:53 pm

This is very, VERY good! XD
Double thumbs up and a bronie point for you dear sir. :lol:
"The Great Alrucard, oh it's been so long since I last had my ass kicked by you!"

Cult of Contradiction Shinigami and Religion controlor.

Standard Bearer

Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:42 pm

Nice! 8-)
http://bdhobbymadness.blogspot.co.nz/

May the wind under your wings bear you to where the sun sails and the moon walks!

Villager

Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:50 pm

Thanks for the positive responses guys! I'll surely find some time in the next couple days to crank out a couple more test-orcs, and I'll keep you posted with some pictures as I complete them. I'm still getting warmed up, having failed to paint anything for a couple months, so expect this to be the sloppiest job I'll do -- I hope? ;)

GrashnarTheSecond wrote:but I feel the blue is a little too bright

Yeah, I'd tend to agree, although it does show up a couple shades brighter than in real life due to the lighting on the shot. I'm used to painting fantasy minis, where bright colors are standard, so adjusting to LotR's more realistic painting style might take me a while. I might throw a couple light washes on there though, we'll see.

Standard Bearer

Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:12 am

Great painting in everyway.
The only thing is that the colour of the skin is quite like, which makes him look more like a zombie than an orc. But maybe thats what you were going for XD

Standard Bearer

Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:14 am

I'd like to see some of the converted orcs get painted up now!
http://bdhobbymadness.blogspot.co.nz/

May the wind under your wings bear you to where the sun sails and the moon walks!

Squire

Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:45 pm

The skin is nice. He looks like a zomby because of the eyes. Just two tiny black dots and they will look more lively

Villager

Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:01 am

Lord Hyper wrote:The only thing is that the colour of the skin is quite like, which makes him look more like a zombie than an orc.

Yeah, having never painted an army with more than one skin color, I'm really stepping out on a limb here. I'm hoping to vary the skin colors across all my orcs, as they are pretty convincingly depicted in the movies as having all sorts of skin shades, from dark grey (think ugluk in "what do you smell?" "manflesh!") to pale (sharku, in the warg attack scene). I've already started some work on the second test orc, and I'm going for a brighter-green skin tone. We'll see how it turns out.

Blue Dragon wrote:I'd like to see some of the converted orcs get painted up now!

Hah actually that one was converted -- minorly. He had a head swap from a two-handed-weapon orc and had all his hair resculpted. Granted, that's not much, but the orc I've been working on since isn't converted at all. :( They'll come, when the time is right.

PreviousNext
Return to Painting