Coëns topic of things - King of Harad

For all painting related discussions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Standard Bearer

Re: Coëns topic of things - Scouring of the Shire

Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:45 am

I really like the idea of traps, but how does that play into the game?

Squire

Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:37 am

Love it! I especially love the hat on the first guy but I don't tihnk it really goes with the sam model.
I assume you will leave some packs on, as they would have carried lunch or something when visiting relatives or going to battle. Hobbits can't go hungry now can they?

Standard Bearer

Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:51 pm

The Hobbit conversions turned out great! The recovering sculpting work is excellent, I think you won't spot the difference between the original and sculpted parts. The hats also look very fitting!
I'm glad to see the axe is put to good use. He looks really menacing! Love the conversion. :) Will he be a Shirrif?
The Corsair conversion also looks interesting. He still looks pretty Corsairy to me, but that's probably because I know the model. When painted, it's probably a Ruffian like any other!
Why did you use Green Stuff for these conversions in stead of ProCreate, by the way?
Also known as "Fëanor, the mighty elf"

Villager

Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:50 pm

I LOVE that Sam conversion. Fantastic stuff. The other two guys are great as well :)
Bilbo often used to say there was only one Road; that it was like a great river: its springs were at every doorstep and every path was its tributary.

Standard Bearer

Re: Coëns topic of things - Summer theme: Harad

Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:52 am

Thought I'd get some new pics in - this time Harad related. More to follow!

First another (I've done one before) dismounted Serpent Rider - although obviously also usable as a Serpent Guard.
Paintjob will further differentiate him from normal warriors.

Then two guys made to look like those described in the books, they will be used with housrules more in line with book descriptions - in which case these are dismounted riders or possibly elite guards, althought they could use some more armour for the latter. Plaited hair, scale armour, pointy shields and scimitars.

Lord Hyper wrote:I really like the idea of traps, but how does that play into the game?

As the SotS supplement is no longer sold, and they didn't include these rules in any recent publication:
Traps are placed by the Good player after the board is set but before figures are placed. Traps must be at least 2" apart from others.
An Evil model moving within 1" of a trap triggers it, after which it is revealed - it is usually removed after the first effect.
Snare: Fails on D6 roll of 1. On 2+, model knocked to the ground and may not move further. If snare counter touches a tree, the model is dangling in the air, meaning he may also not move until, at the start of a subsequent turn, he can roll equal to or under his Strength value.
Pit: Works on 2+. Model may not move further that turn. To escape, roll on the table as if crossing an obstacle. Remains in play after it is revealed, requiring a jump test to get across.
Tripwire: On 2+. Evil model is knocked down and takes a Strength 1 hit, may not move further that turn.

Very simple rules, but quite fun too. Descriptions are rather nice as well, e.g. for the pit: 'Being of small stature, Hobbits don't tend to dig very deep pits, and certainly wouldn't conceive of filling them with sharpened wooden stakes, but more than one Ruffian has found himself struggling to escape a waist deep hole in the ground that he would have sworn was not there earlier.'

Hodush wrote:Love it! I especially love the hat on the first guy but I don't tihnk it really goes with the sam model. I assume you will leave some packs on, as they would have carried lunch or something when visiting relatives or going to battle. Hobbits can't go hungry now can they?

Funny that you say that, I didn't really like the hat on the archer! (Altough I did alter it a bit before the GS had completely set, and I preferred the changed look). Good point about the packs, I should leave them on some - whether on campaign or walking half an hour for some skirmish, some food nearby is essential. Unless I can get hold of an army of Bill the Ponies to carry the packs around!

Fëanor wrote:The Hobbit conversions turned out great! The recovering sculpting work is excellent, I think you won't spot the difference between the original and sculpted parts. The hats also look very fitting!
I'm glad to see the axe is put to good use. He looks really menacing! Love the conversion. :) Will he be a Shirrif?
The Corsair conversion also looks interesting. He still looks pretty Corsairy to me, but that's probably because I know the model. When painted, it's probably a Ruffian like any other
Why did you use Green Stuff for these conversions in stead of ProCreate, by the way?

Well, Sam can't be no Shirriff if he has an axe of course! Although he looks ready to be the chief Shirriff with such a warlike spirit. As for the corsair, my main objection to using the corsair as is, would be the clothing, which is removed. After that, he is some unwashed mean-looking bloke with an unfashionable haircut and a nasty knife - as good a ruffian as any! ;)
Regarding the putty, it's mostly a matter of price: if there is no reason to use procreate, I'll stick with green stuff (pun relevant to sculpting properties not fully intentional).

Gangleri wrote:I LOVE that Sam conversion. Fantastic stuff. The other two guys are great as well :)

Thanks - I wish there was a profile for a nameless Hobbit leader, he'd definitely be the model to use!

Squire

Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:28 pm

I like the update, nice work again.

It would be good to have a system where you can use traps as part of the game without the enemy knowing where they are as they can just avoid them, i guess it helps with deployment etc though.

Standard Bearer

Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:23 pm

Hodush wrote:I like the update, nice work again.

It would be good to have a system where you can use traps as part of the game without the enemy knowing where they are as they can just avoid them, i guess it helps with deployment etc though.

Thanks Hodush.

Yeah, I don't think anybody has found the magic system for hiding something in game terms yet. Possible solution is a raster and a battleships system, but at the same time that doesn't at all fit in the gaming mechanism. Depending on scenery, another option is to roll a die for each (Evil) model entering, moving through or starting in a piece of woodland, having that model encounter a trap on every score of X and then randomising the exact effect.

Some elements of these rules and markers do allow for a reasonably good process though:
-Half of the markers are safe. While it is known in what areas there could be a trap, only triggering it will show if it just some disturbed grass, or an actual trap. While obviously still not really hidden, the true nature of the markers is unknown to the opponent.
-It can be impossible not to trigger any traps. With a 1" area of effect, and with them potentially placed only 2" apart from each other, the Evil player may not be able to stay clear of all of them. A row of traps 2" from each other, and another parallel to it, should form a nice barrier that the player is reluctant to cross. The main problem is that, when some have been revealed, they show a safe route - but at that moment, the Hobbits have at least had some extra time to shoot at the intruders! (With the reasonably harmless effects of the traps themselves, disturbing and slowing down groups of opponents is their main goal anyway).

Standard Bearer

Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:53 pm

Coën wrote:Well, Sam can't be no Shirriff if he has an axe of course! Although he looks ready to be the chief Shirriff with such a warlike spirit. As for the corsair, my main objection to using the corsair as is, would be the clothing, which is removed. After that, he is some unwashed mean-looking bloke with an unfashionable haircut and a nasty knife - as good a ruffian as any!
Regarding the putty, it's mostly a matter of price: if there is no reason to use procreate, I'll stick with green stuff (pun relevant to sculpting properties not fully intentional).

Right, of course! Angry Hobbit militia then. And about the Corsair/Ruffian, I'm sure he'll be excellent for the job in the end.
Fair enough, but isn't the ProCreate about as expensive as GS?

The conversions are excellent again, I love them, as I said last time. :)
Also known as "Fëanor, the mighty elf"

Standard Bearer

Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:02 pm

For traps I have always seen the rules use as you make 5 non traps for every real trap and just lay them out all over the field. Then as each trap marker is found it is flipped over to discover if it is a real trap or not. It requires more trap markers to be made, but I have seen a lot of cool ones and they look worth the effort.

Nice Harad conversions BTW.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Standard Bearer

Re: Coëns topic of things - Still summer, more Harad

Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:46 pm

Thanks guys, here another bunch of Harad-related WIP figures.

First an objective marker, a wounded standard bearer. The base shows a trail of how he shuffled through the sand, dropped, dragged himself further and then collapsed to recline against the rock. Leaves most of the base relatively open (any model on the base counts as controlling the objective). Shiney part on top of the banner is a layer of glue smoothening the area where the eye of Sauron is removed - my Haradrim serve nobody but themselves!

Of course, no parts were wasted in the making of that conversion:

Second objective marker is even more WIP - just some work done on the main figure occupying the area. Which, of course.. is a tiny Mûmak. Even smaller than a baby Mûmak realistically will be, but even more cuddly because of it. Core of aluminium foil, skewers used as basis for legs, paperclip for trunk and tail, plastic card (blister packaging) used for ears. Milliput already covering most of the creature, a later layer of green stuff already used on head for details. Skewer points used for tiny tusks. Anatomy a combination of young elephant, adult Mûmak figure and 'thatlooksaboutright'. Scale shot later, but it's about as long as a human-sized figure, roughly reaching the shoulders in height.

Finally, a rather unusal Black Númenórean. It represents a relatively early BN, with extra emphasis on the Númenórean aspect. Houserules will have him with a Ranger of the North-esque profile - and the ability to carry a halberd. Because it looks good.

With the relative scarcity of good ol' metal Fountain Guard, I magnetised the hands to allow him to carry a sword and shield as well (note that this sword will not be the final weapon - just something that lay nearby and was temporarily attached to show this configuration).

Fëanor wrote:[..] but isn't the ProCreate about as expensive as GS?

Not quite sure of the exact amounts supplied, but I think PC is roughly twice the price of GS!

Sithious wrote:For traps I have always seen the rules use as you make 5 non traps for every real trap and just lay them out all over the field. Then as each trap marker is found it is flipped over to discover if it is a real trap or not. It requires more trap markers to be made, but I have seen a lot of cool ones and they look worth the effort.

More neutral markers are indeed the best solution most of the time, but it quickly adds up of course - one scenario in the SotS supplement already requires a total of 24 markers (4/4/4 Snare/Pit/Tripwire, 12 neutral), but since the neutral ones are incredibly easy to make, I'll probably get some extra ones at some point, to have a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio of neutral to real traps.

PreviousNext
Return to Painting