Coëns topic of things - King of Harad

For all painting related discussions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Standard Bearer

Coëns topic of things - King of Harad

Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:59 pm

So, guess it is about time I start a new "topic with random things".
And.. here it is!
With first some pictures of Uruk-hai scout things.

Converted scouts with very, very WIP painting...

Ugluk with a very WIP dead orc (as casualty/disordered marker in WotR, in SBG as marker showing Ugluk used his special rule, or as objective)

Very WIP (will it ever end? :roll: ) Lurtz. Don't want to remember how many layers his skin were..

And the first finished scout (yeah, finished! Really! :D )

Last edited by Coën on Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 26 times in total.

Squire

Re: Coëns topic full of stuff

Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:14 pm

Very nice job on Lurtz's skin, I think that all those layers finally paid off. =P. Just don't accidently put any brown on it now. XD.

I love the highlighting/shading work on the cloth, if all those Uruks end up looking like that it will be brilliant to look at on the tabletop.

Also, good job on the white hand.

Standard Bearer

Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:22 pm

Thanks gilgalad, I'll agree about the layers, takes a while but looks good. Note that the skin just under his right eye is too dark, I fixed that some minutes ago.
I hope all scouts will turn out like this one, at least I'm planning to have them look like him. I had expected the white hand to be tricky, but I think it's nice already. Luckily, for there are many more to be done!

Villager

Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:33 am

Very nice work on Lurtz's skin, it looks terrific (If an uruk's skin can be called that..... :lol: )

The finished scout is also very nice!

Standard Bearer

Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:30 am

good Stuff. I love Uruk-hai, always nice to see someone take the time to make them look good. Keep it up.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Standard Bearer

Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:25 am

Wow very nice work on Lurtz's skin and the uruk-hai scout layers. Did you use a wash? Which colour? My washes seem to have gone shiney like the inks did. I dunno why, I use them the same way.

Standard Bearer

Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:41 pm

So...

Yeah, I'm still alive! And so is my paint etc, but still no updates for.. a long time. Why? Dunno. Here is one though:

-What I've been doing for the past so many weeks: Rohan (Vikings), Uruk-scouts, Goblins.. Cave Troll... Harad. WHFB. Medieval II Total War.. errr....

-Pictures (couldn't get any outside because of the horrible weather, so had to photoshop them to reasonable quality):

No pics of the vikings yet, for the simple reason barely any are actually finished. I should get some completely done this week, and surely you'll see them when that happens.

Here some more scouts instead. All mighty 4 that I did since my last post... :roll:

What's more... Harad. After quite some months of doubting what to do with them, I decided to go with what more or less was my original idea: a neutral faction within the realm, not directly influenced by Sauron. For the eventual army, some ideas will be drawn from the Hashashin guild, which most of you will know from Assassins Creed. They were a muslim order of 'secret agents' who used all kinds of little tricks to get some power, something which proved to be reasonably succesful. Anyway, here's the colourscheme that I thought up for the normal warriors (not the assassins or assassins in training, more like the militia). For once, I'm happy with the combination of colours.

To accompany that army, I needed at least one Hashashin/Hasharin. Because I wanted something special (and because I think the normal model is nice, but not amazing (enough)) I began looking for some kind of robed figure which could become one of those guys. I came up with the following conversion of Glorfindel, which is also my first attempt at sculpting clothing, something which I will no longer do when it's in such weird angles for the next 3 months or so.
Here goes:

And, to answer some previous questions:

Lurtz' skin didn't get a wash, the scouts are made of washes though. After painting and highlighting (once) them in the usual fashion (though a bit brighter for these scouts) they got both a black and, when dried, brown wash, for shading & nice rusty effects. The complete figure got the wash.

Standard Bearer

Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:46 pm

That Glorfindil/Hasharin conversions looks great. Though of course, it isn't painted yet so its hard to see the detail in the sculpting etc.

Standard Bearer

Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:49 pm

That Hasharin looks fabulous! And you were saying that you found it hard to sculpt cloth?! You did an excellent job. ;)
Cheers, looking forward to meet them on the field (next Wednesday thus).
I love the colour scheme on the Haradrim archer. It looks natural and it seems very fitting.

The Scouts also look good. ;)
Also known as "Fëanor, the mighty elf"

Standard Bearer

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:00 pm

Thanks for the praise guys, appreciated.
The sculpting is almost done as you can see, just some minor stuff to be done were his right hand is (under the cloak).
May be able to finish that stuff today.
Furthermore, I'll try to complete two viking warriors paintingwise, possibly also finding some time to go to the local store in order to get my viking leader: Odin himself! The Gandalf miniature (with hat) fits the image of Odin as the grey wanderer, and with some small work he'll be perfect. Here's a quick photoshoppy showing how he should turn out to be...
Note that the staff could become a spear or remain as a staff, and his horse may get some extra legs, if I find a way to make that fit...

Next
Return to Painting