Standard Bearer

Re: Coëns topic of things - Here be Trolls.. (just one actua

Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:12 am

The middle one looks quite nice!

Standard Bearer

Re: Coëns topic of things - Troll, shieldbearer and stormcal

Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:04 pm

Finally, time for stuff!

As it turns out, I agreed with Lord Hyper's comment above, and tried to replicate that 'nice' look. On a larger scale, it looked a bit boring, so I added some chain as 'decoration'. More will be added, including some spiralling around the shaft.

Some excess putty was used to restore the Troll's neck:

And as it looks now, temporarily assembled:

Other than that, I also finally continued on a simple stormcaller, mostly simple because it seems to work and probably won't see too much use. Note: very early WIP, staff should at least get a good bit more exciting. And he will get his hands back:

And finally (for now), something I've been planning to make for a while now: a Dwarf shieldbearer. Actually started on him quite a while ago, but was never too happy with how he looked, so decided to strip the existing putty of and start over again. He's mostly done now, just a bit more on the cloak obviously (just used some excess mixed clay to make a good structure for the weak free-flowing part of the cloak, on which the final cloak could be build) and the shield needs finishing too, a pyramid-shaped boss and triangular fastenings on the edge, to make it in a larger version of the normal Dwarven shield.

Top part of the helm was replaced with that of another warrior (not that anybody will notice), and while hiding the gap I added a barely visible 'E' rune at the front (for Erebor). Shield foundation (as visible at the back) was a 1st Corps Greek Aspis (Hoplite shield), domed front is Procreate molded in shape with the backside of my modelling drill handle (just the right shape and size), that putty was used because it barely sticks and as such would give a nice smooth finish/easy removal from the mold. Sword and right hand from a Gripping Beast plastic Viking, but the blade was of course shortened to fit the new owner.
May add a full-face mask helmet as Iron/Khazad Guard have, not sure yet.

Squire

Location: Angband, building an army of Balrogs to crush the Noldor and Gondolin

Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:07 pm

That troll weapon is awesome. Realy brutal and troll-like! It would be cool to add a recently pulverised foe on his base, just to show he means business :twisted:

That stormcaller looks very nice as well. I am sure your capable hands will turn it into another wonderful masterpiece.

That dwarf is nice. I think the face mask would look good.

Fantastic modelling once again!
"I am fire. I am... death"

Check out my commission service:
http://terranovaterraincommissions.wordpress.com

Standard Bearer

Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:38 pm

The weapon looks very good indeed, awesome! Seems very suitable.

It looks like the Elf will be a cool conversion. Will you keep all the armour?

The Dwarf looks excellent so far. I was also planning to convert a Warrior into a Shieldbearer, should start on that sometime.
The chain mail looks very well done by the way. Awesome! Looking forward to see him painted. :)
Also known as "Fëanor, the mighty elf"

Standard Bearer

Re: Coëns topic of things - Shieldbearer finished (really!)

Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:27 pm

Thanks guys, I've shelved the face-mask idea for the time being, so that I can use it on a future captain or shieldbearer (probably the latter) - this guy looks special enough already! And yes, the Stormcaller will keep the armour - after all, he's supposed to have the same amount of protection as an ordinary Galadhrim, and besides, I'm not going to spend too much time on him.

As the title may have given away already, the Shieldbearer is completely finished now - the first painted LotR model in 2.5 months!

And in comparison to the model it used to be:

Also stringed some bows with a new (and possibly improved) technique:

These last two guys are for a new project (don't want to get bored now, do I?), getting all the required models for the Scouring of the Shire scenarios, and from there on building a 500pts Shire army. As there are only 6 Ruffian sculpts, I'll convert more from some spare Corsairs - more on that later.
For two of the scenarios, traps are needed, so I started making those. On top, they all look alike..

..but turned over, half of them show their true nature:

Finally, also started on the first of many conversions of 'Fellowship Hobbits' to Militia and Archers, pictures later...

Squire

Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:50 am

Awesome stuff, no-one can mistake him for who he is - he has a huge shield.

Nice work on the bow strings, care to fill us in on what you used?

Im also looking forward to hearing about more ruffions & SCoTS. I wanted to make a unique dunlending army without the newer models as I don't think they fit. Was going to use ruffians, converted corsairs with a dull scheme - what paint job do you think they will have?
I posted asking some advice about converting hero hobbits to regulars a few months back but never got replies, so please take WIP shots of any conversions you do! Cheers!

Squire

Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:12 am

I like your traps very much and your troll weapon but I really want to know how you made you bow strings ?

Squire

Location: Angband, building an army of Balrogs to crush the Noldor and Gondolin

Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:29 am

I love those traps, very clever! Maybe you could have a sort of plume on your shieldbearer, just to show he is a bit more important than the average soldier.

Those bowstrings look good. Can't wait to see the rest of this new project, sounds pretty awesome!
"I am fire. I am... death"

Check out my commission service:
http://terranovaterraincommissions.wordpress.com

Standard Bearer

Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:43 pm

Awesome! The Dwarf turned out great, and you really finished him quickly. The shield is very well sculpted: it looks exactly like a normal Dwarf shield but then a bit bigger. The cloak also looks fabulous!
Also known as "Fëanor, the mighty elf"

Standard Bearer

Re: Coëns topic of things - Scouring of the Shire

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:11 pm

Right then, the two first Hobbits and some shots of the first Ruffian archer. Especially the Hobbits cost way too much time (considering the fact that a planned 500pts army, mostly composed of conversions, has 5 full warbands), although some will later on be a bit easier with headswaps and and weapons switched with actual Hobbit militia and archers (whenever I get more of those).

First, a Meriadoc turned Tookish hunter. Quiver is part of a skewer, some thread used as a strap. Arrow ends are of a glass head pin (as the arrows on other models are made from as well), green stuff used for fletching, while paper was used on the individual arrow being used. Bow is a shortened version of those sold by Gripping Beast. More greenstuff used for repairing/sculpting the cloak (where a backpack was removed), the arms, right hand and hat - as is quite clearly visible actually.

And number two, 'Attack of the Mad Axe-Sam'. He looks properly mean. Emyn Muil version, so normally drawing a sword. Removing the huge backpack wasn't fun, but the resculpting was done within a minute and a half. Axe from Warlord Games, as kindly donated by Fëanor. Knowing Sam, it probably is no tree he is looking to fell...

And the first Ruffian with bow (WIP!), mostly a matter of carving away and resculpting clothing. With the ragtag appearance and huge variety within existing Ruffians, they should fit in well enough. Most other ones will get whips, as required for many scenarios.

To answer the questions, the Ruffians will be painted in your average dark-age-appearance colours, so dull, earthy greens, reds and browns. Should contrast nicely with the brightly coloured Hobbits.
As for the bowstrings, as done a long time ago, these were made using my own hair. As said, it's a new technique, so have to practice a bit more to see if it works, and if it does, I could share the exact methods in detail. At any rate, it's a matter of looping it around the bow and twisting the two strands - results in a strong and flexible string of pretty much exactly the right thickness.

PreviousNext
Return to Painting