Morgoths_crown: from the vaults and beyond! (pic heavy)

For all painting related discussions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Standard Bearer

Re: Morgoths_crown: from the vaults and beyond! (pic heavy)

Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:07 am

The one whos about to kill the girl would make an awesome diorama.

Squire

Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:24 am

I find that I like to imagine a story behind my minis. For instance, the Orc sacrificing model is in bright red and cleanish fur because he has just looted it from his victims. In a few months the same orc would appear dirtier and foul. I also tend to use a lot of contrasting colours so green/red, blue/orange, yellow/purple etc to really make the paint stand out.
I will start a topic in the off topic forum on my none lotr work as well as my military models as well. I do a bit of action figure converting from time to time, mostly Terminator inspired stuff. I agree that it is useful to be as wide as possible in research and find that good painters will look to as many points of reference as possible.
I recommend reenactor books as well on Dark age-Medieval asthey are a great source on colours and weapons. I know i have found them to be invaluable in getting correct colours for cloth.
Til biþ se þe his treowe gehealdeþ, ne sceal næfre his torn to rycene,beorn of his breostum acyþan,nemþe he ær þa bote cunne,eorl mid elne gefremman.

Squire

Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:29 am

Further to my previous posts here is another comparison shot of a figure from 2006 and one from 2011. Plastic Bozza was a second hand bargain of 99p. Have a few plastic hobbits I may be trading soon.

Goldberry 2006

Boromir 2011
Til biþ se þe his treowe gehealdeþ, ne sceal næfre his torn to rycene,beorn of his breostum acyþan,nemþe he ær þa bote cunne,eorl mid elne gefremman.

Squire

Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:23 am

I still think Goldberry looks wonderful. Fantastic painting on both models!
My WIP page: Click Here! -->So It Begins

Current Project: Dragon - Cave Trolls - Goblins

Squire

Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:51 pm

The finished Troll! Huzzah! Many hours have gone into this and I think it is the best thing I have ever painted.

Squire

Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:00 pm

Great painting!

Standard Bearer

Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:30 pm

wow. just...wow. They're Golden Demon worthy I think.

Standard Bearer

Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:41 pm

Wow, that Troll's absolutely stunning! The pose, the sculpting, the painting and the colours: it all fits perfectly!
Awesome job. :)
Also known as "Fëanor, the mighty elf"

Squire

Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:18 pm

Cheers all :D Means a lot to hear great feedback. I am hyper critical of my stuff (for instance the troll has a few issues in the sculpting that bug me) but I have turned a corner with my mini painting recently. I have just bought some Galadhrim so will paint a few forces of good for a change so watch this space! Have a nasty burn on my hand though from trying to cast with Woodland sceneics easy water....not a good idea methinks!

Standard Bearer

Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:18 am

the goldberry is interesting, the shadows and highlights look a bit spotty but that makes it look more realistic because of how candle flame flickers. but for a three+ year old models it is very good.

The Boromir is very clean, but they spent a few months with the elves and I doubt he slept much so I am sure his armour and clothes were pretty clean in those last few days of his life. :) but it definately shows the purposeful strokes of the brush and your stepping up with your own work.

The Troll is great, nice to see the details on him. the sinew on the chest seams off in direction but I have never done an atompsy on a troll so what do I know. the armour and the eyes came out great in the painting, and the cloth color is fantastic. Good work.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

PreviousNext
Return to Painting