So It Begins...

For all painting related discussions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Re: So It Begins...

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:45 pm

Very nice work on that dwarf. You're quite right - the eyes on the metal dwarves are a pain in the neck. But they came out very nicely and contrast well with the beard. I also like the knight's base.
Bilbo often used to say there was only one Road; that it was like a great river: its springs were at every doorstep and every path was its tributary.

Squire

Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:57 pm

Almost two months has gone by without an update! This cannot be!

Let's see what hasn't been uploaded yet...

It seems I haven't posted pictures of where my Knights of Minas Tirith warband has progressed to. Let's start with that then.

Lately I started working on some orcs as these were among the first models I bought and they've been sitting on the shelf unfinished. So here is the progress on them.

And some WIP's of Gandalf for the October Painting Challenge:

Refer to this page ( That's No Moon! ) for reason of colours and what I'm trying to achieve. :)

And now here are the finished pictures of Gandalf! All that's left is to build the diorama and wait for Gollum and his fishy to arrive. :-D

This is my attempt at sculpting a bird. I then tried to paint it like a White-tail Finch but I didn't have any pictures for reference. My friend says it looks like a sparrow. :? :lol:

So that's where the hobby stands. I've been packing everything up to get ready for my two year stay in Russia so most of my models are in egg cartons and on shelves ( cavalry and monsters don't fit in the egg cartons very well :-D ) so they are out of the way for my family and so my mom doesn't accidentally throw out my materials and tools etc.

Let me know what you think of everything.

Thanks for all the support from the entire The Last Alliance community these past few years I've been on these forums. I will truly miss everything and everyone here. I wouldn't have progressed so much in this hobby without the aid found here. Thank you.
My WIP page: Click Here! -->So It Begins

Current Project: Dragon - Cave Trolls - Goblins

Villager

Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:41 am

Looks fantastic, keep up the good work :)

Villager

Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:23 am

That's a great take on Gandalf. Like the orcy conversions as well.

Why can't you still post when in Russia? They have the internet, you know. ;)

Warrior

Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:19 am

Well it's probally the location.
Lust,Gulttony,Greed,Sloth,Wrath,Envy,Pride.

Squire

Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:51 pm

I'm sure they have internet in Moscow. ;)
But, my church won't allow it. They want us to focus on the work out there. :)

{edit}
Oh, I forgot to explain the reason for the bird! I never intended to actually do that. I just had some extra green stuff from a different project that didn't turn out too well. So I needed to find out what I could do with it before it was unusable. Then I thought "what if Radagast tried to help Gandalf search for Gollum?" He could have sent a bird to help in the search. So I sculpted a bird. It was a small thing of GS so the only base I had to work on was the paper clip it sits on.

I'll try to update a few more times before I leave.

Standard Bearer

Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:32 pm

Gandalf looks really cool - can't wait to see the finished diorama, and those Orc conversions work really well too :) I hope you enjoy your time in Russia :)

Squire

Re: "So it ends as I guessed it would..."

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:53 am

It comes at last to this final time together.
I'd like to relate this quote to how I feel right now. You should all be familiar with it.

Gimli: Never thought I'd die fighting side by side with an Elf.
Legolas: What about side by side with a friend?
Gimli: Aye. I could do that.

I leave tomorrow for this trip and won't be able to post on this site till I return in two years time. Sadly I haven't much of an update as I would have liked. But it is something, right? ;)

Gollum arrived in the mail the other day though I only glued dirt on and undercoated him. And I was able to add more colour on to the orcs.

Here they are.

I bid thee all a fond farewell. Till I return in two years time, enjoy everything Lord of the Rings from The Hobbit to LEGO's to this very hobby!

Squire

Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:12 am

Who does this guy think he is, not writing in his forum for over two years?

But guess what? I'm back! :D And I haven't been completely gone from the hobby for those years. While I was in Moscow, I happened to look out the window of the tram car and saw the unmistakable image of two Space marines on a sign with the name of the store being "Tabletop Games." Thankfully I knew the area well enough so we could find the store again to go look at it. And this is what I saw in the display window:

Helm's Deep and a massive fortress with two Mumakil in front of it! Sorry for the reflection on the mirror.
The store was filled with miniatures galore and they had a decent size display for all things Lord of the Rings. I was so excited! And this is what I bought (mind you, remember that the last time I picked up any models was October 2012, long before any of the new Hobbit models came out):

The Attack on Weathertop set:

(Remember! I love pictures! So there will be plenty of them here.)
So, still to this day, I have not bought any of the new models from the Hobbit series. While in Moscow, I was very limited in supplies (paint and tools) as I didn't have too much money set aside for hobbies and so I could only buy one paintbrush and three things of paint: black, white, and silver. And so the only thing I could paint was one of the Ringwraiths.

That's as far as I've gotten with him. And here is what I was planning on doing for the hobby challenge on the One Ring website.

I didn't get very far. I realized upon my return to the states, that all of my stuff had been moved. And so for the longest time, all my tools and paints were missing. You can't very well paint a diorama with black, white and silver. Well, you could but it would be more of a black and white type film. And so that still stands as it is above.

And below, this is my next project. I really hate fielding unfinished models on the battlefield and noticed that the only army that has finished models for a 700 point game is my Isengard force. I don't have a Good army to contend against them. And so I have gathered together my Gondor forces and counted up the points.
Here is the list of what is in the army:

Boromir, Captain of the White Tower
- Horse and Banner of MT
Madril
Cirion
Captain of Minas Tirith (Aragorn model to be converted)
Warrior of Minas Tirith x 60
Knight of Minas Tirith x 12
Ranger of Gondor x 24

Total points: 1259

For the Captain, I wanted to know if there was a profile for Ranger captains other than Madril and Damrod. Are those the only captains you can field for rangers (besides Faramir)?
I know that the points are way over the 700 that I mentioned earlier but I might as well paint the entire army while I'm at it. And some of them are already painted. I just need to retouch many of them to fix some sloppy brush work.

Another thing that I started was making trees! Well, putting store bought ones on bases, that is. I was finally fed up with having the trees always falling down during the battles. So I made bases for them and when I find time (and money) to go to the store, I'll buy some filler to smooth out the gaps and then finish the terrain piece with dirt, paint, and foliage.

Unfortunately the trees are rather small. I need to make or find some bigger ones. Now the trees won't be falling over. I have plenty more updates, but I figured that I should give it to you guys in small increments. I hope that you enjoyed reading.

Till next time! :-D

Squire

Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:29 am

I've got tons of pictures for you guys! :D
I wanted to show you what I've done recently.

I've finished my Sharky entry for the July Challenge over on the one-ring.
First one in years!! :D :D
This was the funnest model that I've painted and made a base for. It turned out far better than I was expecting. :-D

Also, I've stripped the paint off my old Fellowship models to redo them. But not all of the paint came off so I will have to re soak them.
This is a BEFORE picture:

The models on this diorama will be pinned to the base rather than glued so I can re-pin them on separate bases for games.

This is what I've done so far on my Osgiliath diorama.

Here is some progress on the banner carrier:

I also wanted to take more pictures of my Balrog:

I hope that you enjoyed this rather long post! :-)
Till next time!

PreviousNext
Return to Painting