S.T's painting log 01/05/12

For all painting related discussions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

S.T's painting log 01/05/12

Postby Stephen Tennyson » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:37 pm

Hey all,

Welcome to my painting log/work in progress blog.

Heres some models I've done earlier, these are all I could upload for the moment(I'm on the iPad so uploadings tediously slow :? )

And here's my latest aquisitions..has anyone ever noticed how gimli is about half a cm taller than other dwarves??
Notice the broken khazad guard I discussed in the conversions section.

Keep an eye out, I'll be putting up more photos(hopefully clearer ones) ASAP! Getting some mordor orcs and rohirrim soon.
Would also like to say thanks to Lindir, Wah Wing and of course my fiancée for helping me post photos! :D

edit: 06/12/11
So been building my mordor force and heres a command and the withch king!

New troll and a couple of morannon orcs, what you guys think of the paint scheme?

Cheers,
Stephen
Last edited by Stephen Tennyson on Tue May 01, 2012 10:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
and it is sung that the axe smoked in the black blood of the troll-guard of Gothmog until it withered and each time that he slew Hurin cried 'Aure entuluva! Day shall come again!' Seventy times he uttered that cry; but they took him at last alive...
Stephen Tennyson
Villager

Re: S.T's painting log

Postby Lord Hyper » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:00 am

Looks good, you paint very neatly. I like your banner.
Lord Hyper
Standard Bearer

Postby The Newbie » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:40 pm

Looking very nice. I think some scenic basing would make them all the more impressive.
The Newbie
Ranger

Postby Stephen Tennyson » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:14 pm

Thanks, think thats the first time anything ive ever done has been described as neat! :D

And yea i had a big pot of flock grass which mysteriously disappeared on me, thinking of doing them with gravel bases with a few grass patches. What glue would be the best for basing? Aint doing anything with the movement trays though, its getting tight enough fitting models into them as is and they've only been sprayed! :?

Also, does anyone have any good ideas for an alternate gimli paint scheme??

Will be posting the alternate axes im going to use for the khazad guard on monday. Stole a halberd and an axe from a High elf general sprue, theyre pretty sweet.
and it is sung that the axe smoked in the black blood of the troll-guard of Gothmog until it withered and each time that he slew Hurin cried 'Aure entuluva! Day shall come again!' Seventy times he uttered that cry; but they took him at last alive...
Stephen Tennyson
Villager

Postby Eldarion Telcontar » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:33 pm

PVA glue. Don't buy GW's, its overpriced and no different to any other PVA brand intended for Arts and Crafts e.g. I have a bottle of PVA from Hobbycraft which has lasted me 4 years and is reasonably strong.

If you use spraypaint to basecoat your models, then base the models before spraying. That way the paint helps to seal the sand and stop it crumbling. Otherwise, a watered down coat of glue or paint should be enough to seal it (make sure you wait till the glue has dried before trying to seal it with a coat of glue/paint, otherwise you'll make a mess).
Eldarion Telcontar
Standard Bearer

Postby Wah Wing » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:21 pm

Elmer's white glue works wonderful for basing. And if you can, dig up a bucket of actual dirt instead of using store bought stuff. It's way cheaper. Dirt cheap actually! :lol:
Now: Gondor/Rohan Terrain; ...Next: Uruk-hai Warriors; ...Later: Mumakil

Blog:
http://wah-wing.blogspot.com/

"Keep breathing. That's the key. Breathe."
Wah Wing
Squire

Postby Eldarion Telcontar » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:54 pm

Thats filthy... :?
Eldarion Telcontar
Standard Bearer

Postby Stephen Tennyson » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:50 pm

Cheers for the tips guys, will definitely get some pva glue in. Hope it isn't too hard basing after painting !

Absolutely loving WOTR at the minute, my next plan is to expand my mordor force. Really love the idea of having a black numemorian heavy force led by the mouth and the dark marshall. The only problem is at about £24 a company it ain't gonna be cheap, was thinking of using easterlings painted up as numenorians. What do you think? Anyone got any other good proxy ideas?

Oh and I'll be putting up some mordor pics ASAP!

Cheers,
Stephen.
Stephen Tennyson
Villager

Postby Chris Guard of Mardat » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:04 pm

Loving your dwarves so far - the blue is a really nice shade (will probably get back to mine after I've finished the Island of Blood)

These aren't mine, they're from a link over on One Ring
made from:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... rod1490007
with these shields
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... rod1290036

This is mine (sorry for the large images, taken from my painting thread):
Chris Guard of Mardat
Standard Bearer

Postby Prime505 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:03 am

Very nice clean painting. Out of curiosity have you tried a Wash on your minis before Stephen?
Prime505
Squire

Next

Return to Painting