S.T's painting log 01/05/12

For all painting related discussions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Re: S.T's painting log

Postby Sithious » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:04 am

Alot of people using the blue scheme on dwarves...I know I did forever ago when I painted mine ...But I will be doing the next batches a different scheme when I return to dwarves.

I think that you could use another color to break things up, for instance the padded armour blends in with the cloth armour baking a very blue dwarf...there are many shades of blue and many spot colors to choose from. just saying. Also Prime asked about washes, I think that your beards could use some depth to bring them out, washes is one way, there are others.

Looks like a good army though, keep plugging away.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/
Sithious
Standard Bearer

Re: S.T's painting log

Postby Stephen Tennyson » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:57 am

Hey guys cheers for the comments,

@Chris Guard of Mardat:
Those mini's are class, exactly what im looking for, must say i like yours alot better, not keen on the dark elf shields. Less spikey == more tolkieny IMHO!

Believe it or not, those dwarves actually are all washed with badab black. But i see how you could miss it, there are alot of bits that are very bright, it seems that some of the flatter areas of cloth just didnt hold the wash or maybe id need to be a bit more liberal when applying it. Its funny how you dont notice these things about your minis until you take a photo of them! Same for the beards, think ill give everything another wash, especially those pesky gingers!

@Sithious:
Hey blue sure as hell beats Green with yellow boots! :o I know what you mean though, ive got necron abyss in the paint box, so ill sort that smurf archer out asap cheers!

Anyway got big news, after some accidental browsing on ebay, i think my fiancees getting me a realm of battle game board for xmas!! :D
and it is sung that the axe smoked in the black blood of the troll-guard of Gothmog until it withered and each time that he slew Hurin cried 'Aure entuluva! Day shall come again!' Seventy times he uttered that cry; but they took him at last alive...
Stephen Tennyson
Villager

Re: S.T's painting log 06/12/11

Postby Stephen Tennyson » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:05 pm

Hey, new pics are up! Keeping everything on the 1st post to avoid confusion! Just painted up Balin and Gimli all i have to do now is take a photo

Cheers,
Stephen
and it is sung that the axe smoked in the black blood of the troll-guard of Gothmog until it withered and each time that he slew Hurin cried 'Aure entuluva! Day shall come again!' Seventy times he uttered that cry; but they took him at last alive...
Stephen Tennyson
Villager

Re: S.T's painting log 06/12/11

Postby Sithious » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:40 pm

interesting color choices. dark colors with dark photo's is making it hard to really evaluate where your skills may need refinement.
Sithious
Standard Bearer

Re: S.T's painting log 015/02/12

Postby Stephen Tennyson » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:07 pm

Just updated there, yes Im a very slow painter..
Stephen Tennyson
Villager

Postby Sithious » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:09 am

Very original color scheme on the Troll. Like the purple cloth on the force too. without seeing a close-up I would say that the gums would look nice if they were done like the tongue (being picky don't mind me). very good work.
Sithious
Standard Bearer

Postby Stephen Tennyson » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:19 pm

Cheers man,

Yea your right the the gums should be consistent with the tongue, tbh I completely forgot about he gums theyre just left over from the previous paint job(got the troll from a friend!) will fix cheers! I freakin love liche purple for cloth, it all started with my ostermark army and now I use it in damn near all my armies! Im quite pleased with the way the troll came out, i was just slapping paint on it to see what colours would be good, but its actually spurred me to decide on a theme.

Going have a minas morgul force made up of orcs that all have the same rotting flesh skin tone throwing in some stalkers and led by he witch king! Unless I have a theme for an army I just cant get motivated to paint it yeno?

Trying to think of something for a new rohan force atm..maybe something centred around theodred..any thoughts?

Stephen
Stephen Tennyson
Villager

Postby JornOvera » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:26 pm

Quick question Stephen...

Is that supposed to say 'back' in your signature, or is that deliberate?
"That's impossible, there's no such thing as trolls."
"Then how do you explain all the dead unicorns?"
JornOvera
Squire

Postby Stephen Tennyson » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:19 am

hey,

No its deliberate, its a joke from a tv show scrubs:
Is there a problem?

Stephen
Stephen Tennyson
Villager

Postby JornOvera » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:53 am

Haha, fair enough. I did think it was too coincidental to be coincidence, but I couldn't think what context would render it funny. But, yeah, that's pretty good.
"That's impossible, there's no such thing as trolls."
"Then how do you explain all the dead unicorns?"
JornOvera
Squire

PreviousNext

Return to Painting