The War of the Dwarves and the Orcs |16 Dec|Goblins painted!

For all painting related discussions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

The War of the Dwarves and the Orcs |16 Dec|Goblins painted!

Postby Coën » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:53 pm

New project!
To be used in a series of battle reports (and hopefully many battles afterwards as well!).

All in various stages of WIPness at the moment.

Azog
Repaint of Durburz conversion, base needs finishing.

Grash
Converted metal 'armoured Moria Goblin'. Sculpted him a face and cloak, some more GS work will be added later on.

Bolg II
Nothing fancy, just needed something to use as a Goblin captain, hence the snowy base and blue clothing.

Goblin Prowlers
Painting WIP, sculpted cloaks needs some smoothing out but got paint to be used in a game.

And of course, some Dwarves! Quick try-out of the colours. Some areas not yet painted.

Will either go with this 'stony' effect on the shields or paint it bronzish, not sure yet.

Last edited by Coën on Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Coën
Standard Bearer

Re: The War of the Dwarves and the Orcs

Postby orc-archer » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:44 pm

The Goblin Prowlers are most impressive, the second one is my favorite. He got some good backstabbing action going on, without doubt!
- RIP Fimbul and Narzug -
orc-archer
Squire

Postby JornOvera » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:52 am

Some very nice work here. The Durburz model looks quite a lot more dynamic with the sword in the air. I also very much like your 'Grash' model. The cloak really adds something to the model.
"That's impossible, there's no such thing as trolls."
"Then how do you explain all the dead unicorns?"
JornOvera
Squire

Postby Chris Guard of Mardat » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:45 pm

They look really nice, although the stone effect on the shield isn't to my taste (but done very well), how did you paint the Moria Goblins armour? I'd quite like to try it out on my Goblins when I get round to them.
Chris Guard of Mardat
Standard Bearer

Re: The War of the Dwarves and the Orcs-10th April:Dwarf com

Postby Coën » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:33 am

Thanks for the comments, finally an update!

First a warrior converted to have a banner. Bit of an experiment, not entirely pleased with the result but with some experience I think it could become a reasonably easy and useful way to make banners.

Then a captain, which I like quite a bit more. With those warband rules one needs a lot of heroes, so converting them (usually adding cloaks and giving a heroic pose) is quite useful. Really start to like working with green stuff!
(Note: stone will be expanded over time, a great way to use excess green stuff! [I always mix too much])

Hopefully get to paint one or more warriors next weekend, to get the colours right and ready to paint the army!

@Chris Guard of Mardat: I'm not sold on the stone effect either, I think the same technique with bronze would work better (also adds another colour to the army, gives me the opportunity to use bronze on Khazad/Iron Guard and heroes).
Goblin armour was way too easy. Bestial Brown (or whatever the new fancy name is) basecoat, rough stippling/drybrush (i.e. stabbing the model with an old brush) of boltgun metal (with a bit of black mixed in) and then a final drybrush with boltgun. Some lighter colour on very sharp edges as swords. That's it! Recommended to do the armour before other surfaces, as you can imagine it's quite a messy technique.
Coën
Standard Bearer

Postby simmuskhan » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:53 am

Looking good, I love some of those poses, quite dynamic!
My LotR and 40k blog, Realm of Battle board, dwarves, gobs, space wolves and battle reports. http://simbattleboard.blogspot.com/
simmuskhan
Squire

Postby Chris Guard of Mardat » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:47 pm

Coën wrote:@Chris Guard of Mardat: I'm not sold on the stone effect either, I think the same technique with bronze would work better (also adds another colour to the army, gives me the opportunity to use bronze on Khazad/Iron Guard and heroes).
Goblin armour was way too easy. Bestial Brown (or whatever the new fancy name is) basecoat, rough stippling/drybrush (i.e. stabbing the model with an old brush) of boltgun metal (with a bit of black mixed in) and then a final drybrush with boltgun. Some lighter colour on very sharp edges as swords. That's it! Recommended to do the armour before other surfaces, as you can imagine it's quite a messy technique.

Thanks :D I may have to use this technique when I get back round to my Goblins. Really like the pose on the Captain too, I may copy it. (I just wish Captains could have bows :( ). Will you be converting any hornblowers/shieldbearers?

Good work so far, keep at it
Chris Guard of Mardat
Standard Bearer

Postby Fëanor » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:05 pm

Looking great, as always! Love the pose of the Captain especially. Very similar to mine, but yours is better. ;)
Can't wait to see them painted on the opposite side of the board!
Also known as "Fëanor, the mighty elf"
Fëanor
Standard Bearer

Postby Sithious » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:29 pm

Awesome conversions...great work.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/
Sithious
Standard Bearer

Postby Prime505 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:20 am

That guiy pointing looks really cool, can't wait to see him all painted.
out of curiosity do you not undercoat?
Prime505
Squire

Next

Return to Painting