Mirkwood and Lothlorian painting guide

For all painting related discussions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Squire

Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:21 am

Hi there! I'm going to paint Galadhrim warriors (In my case they are converted) and I'd like to show you my "way of paint"! The project is to represent a golden armour, one or two gemstones and with white clothes and red cloak. Today I'm going to show you how I've painted this model step by step, starting with armour!!
I've used abbadon black for the primer base:
STEP 1: instead of using canonic Tin Bitz (Warplock Bronze) for first layer, I used Kabalite Green, this becouse when I will apply gold on first layer, it will be possible foresee this grain of green, like oxidation, so final result will be more realistic;
STEP 2: washing with Nuln Oil undiluted on first layer;
STEP 3: Second layer of paint with Shinig Gold (Gehenna's Gold), I've painted only the external edges of armour on chest and every scale on skirt has painted separately, then I've done a washing with Nuln Oil undiluted;
STEP 4: Third layer of paint with Griffon Gold for highlight, I've diute it with water in this part 1:1, I have painted only edges on chest and the same thing for scales of step 3;
STEP 5: The Final step is a washing of Kabalite Green on all the armour with this proportion: Water:Kabalite Green = 4:1.
You can see every step in the following pics, next days I'm going to continue this guide for cloak and clothes, and at the end details like face and gemstone!!! I hope this guide could help you with your models!! Opinions and critics are well accepted :D

BlazE
Last edited by BlazE on Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Squire

Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:28 am

Squire

Re: Mirkwood and Lothlorian painting guide

Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:43 am

If you want anyone can post here something, like photos, different armour color schemes, clothes color schemes, questions, all you need!! :)

BlazE

Squire

Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:32 pm

Literally any painting guide from mirkwood/Lothlorian can be posted here.We want to have one of these threads for every army.Its the closest we are gonna get to painting guides.More information can be found on the painting effort thread in the annoucements section.Now make me a painting guide worthy of (Insert army here)
IZ A ORK.DAT MEANS IZ STOMPIER KILLIER AND BETTER DEN YOU RUNTZ.WAAAAAAAAA......................GGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Squire

Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:08 am

Thank you Krimson for your help!! Now I continue this guide with cloak and clothes, first with red tonality and second with white tonality:
STEP 1: I used Dark Flesh (Doombull Brown) for first layer on the cloak and Kommando Kaki (Karak Stone) for clothes, I used brown becouse I think that grey as base for white makes it too much colder;
STEP 2: Washing undiluted with Badab Black (Nuln Oil) for cloak and Devlan Mud (Agrax Heartshade) for clothes;
STEP 3: Secon layer with Mecrite Red (Mephiston Red) mixed with Darl Flesh in same part (1:1) for cloak and Bleached Bone (Uhabti Bone) for clothes;
STEP 4: Washing with Badab Black (Nuln Oil) for cloak diluted with water in this percentual - NulnOil:Water=1:4 and Devlan Mud (Agrax Heartshade) for clothes in same percentual;
STEP 5: Highlights for cloak with Mecrite Red (Mephiston Red) diluted with water with this percentual - MephistonRed:Water=1:2 and for clothes with Skull White (White Scar) diluted with water in the same way of cloak. You can see result on the pics attached, next time I'm going to finish my guide with face and gemstone! Post here your personal guide of Mirkwood and Lothlorian here, share and show your photos and opinions!!!

BlazE

Squire

Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:08 am

Squire

Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:26 am

Now it's the turn of flesh, hair and gemstone:
Flesh:
STEP 1: I've painted the base of face and hans with Tallarn Flesh (Cadian Fleshstone);
STEP 2: I used washing technic with Devlan Mud (Agrax Heartshade) undiluted on the same parts;
STEP 3: I've passed a second layer mixing Tallarn Flesh (Cadian Fleshstone) with Bleached Bone (Uhabti Bone) in same part;
STEP 4: I've done highlights with a mixture of Tallarn Flesh and Bleached Bone in this part -tallarnflesh:bleachedbone=1:2, then I've added details like eyes and teeth.
Hair: Blond hair
STEP 1: Kommando Kaki (Karak Stone) as base;
STEP 2: washing technic with Devlan Mud (Agrax Heartshade) diluted with water in same part;
STEP 3: highlights using Bleached Bone (Uhabti Bone).

Squire

Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:34 am

FleshImage

Squire

Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:35 am

Hair Image

Squire

Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:58 am

Gemstones are little bit more difficult to paint, theoretically are simple, but their realisation needs calm and patient! This is the theory: we begin from a black or darker base (for exemple if gem will be green, base could be dark green, more dark than green), we begin to add little by little the lighter color until we have the final color, the darker color should be at the base of gem moved at the right (or at the left it's not a problem) and the band of lighter color shuld goes on the top of gemstone. When we have the full color (for exemple snot green) on the top, we must mix green with white as highlight. Then we can pass Ardcoat on the gem to makes it shiny or make a little withe spot on the darker color to represent light reflex.
This is my gemstone on model, I've done a red/turqoise gemstone:
STEP 1: paint the base with a mixture of Mecrite Red (Mephiston Red) and Chaos Black (Abbadon Black) with this percentual - Red:Black=1:3;
STEP 2: little by little I've added Mecrite Red (Mephiston Red) on the preavious mixture until I've arrived on full Mecrite Red (Mephiston Red);
STEP 3: for higlight I mixed Mecrite Red (Mephiston Red) with Skull White (White Scar).
My gem is different because has highlight on the base of gem and on the top on gem, the reason is that it's a composed gem, the other half part has same painting structure, the difference is the Hawk Turquoise (Sotek Green) instead Mecrite Red (Mephiston Red).

Next
Return to Painting