Gandalf the Grey

For all painting related discussions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Standard Bearer

Re: An attempt at Radaghast

Thu May 15, 2014 1:02 am

Nicely done! I can't wait to see a group shot of your entire warg army.

Standard Bearer

Thu May 15, 2014 3:00 am

17 fell wargs, 12 hunters on fell warg, 4 heroes on fell wargs,
then 1 warg chief, 7 wild wargs, 2 shaman on warg, 1 captain on warg, Gothmog on Warg, Sharku on Warg, Golfimbul on warg, 23 warg riders (metal and plastics).

Yeah that will look awesome. Someday. I have a ways to go, and there are so many distractions with other armies.
Until then, well I do have some group shots on my site of the hunters on Wargs. The fell wargs I am sculpting take a lot of time when I am actively working on it, so it will be a while.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Warrior

Fri May 16, 2014 8:33 pm

Hey sith, it looks great. I'm curious though what have you been using to get that blue at our color on the armor. I've been trying to look at how to paint my hunter orcs and that's an interesting color that I may want to change a tad. :D
Who ever said swimming was easier then running never swam a 400 I.M.

Proud swimmer and athlete for Queen's University of Charlotte

Standard Bearer

Fri May 16, 2014 10:11 pm

This is where notes come in handy.

I just wish I took notes. :) Most of the time I tweak colors based on the other colors I am using (warm or cool) But try not to make it complicated and just grab something. For the most part, the grey/blue armor is eshrin grey, then add Dawn stone. At this point it can be brought up with Bone, white, or even rotting flesh, or just straight dawnstone highlights. I know I am not the best artist around, but I still try to think like one, so it can be anyones guess what the actual colors ratio's were to get a result. Of course camera, lighting, and surrounding colors all can affect what is seen on here too.

Standard Bearer

Re: Yazneg

Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:04 am

Finally did the foot version. I was working on an armature of my next warg sculpt, cleaning some plastic fell wargs, assembling the first of my giant eagles and downloading pictures of Golden Eagles to use for reference, and sculpting a face for an elf model I want to scratch build and I already have had to restart that face, bt I also have drawing of the elf I am making... so all this stuff going on in my spare time between working and parenting, and yet here is Yazneg... sometimes I have no idea how I managed to finish a model. :lol:
Image Image

Standard Bearer

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:07 am

That light blue colour works surprisingly well. I never thought that it would fit with orcs, but it really works. I really like the extra effort done with the skin as he is very scarred.

Standard Bearer

Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:44 pm

Thanks.
I have used almost every color on orcs by now, if the sculpt is good then most colors can work. I just had to make sure it matched my mounted version. I think in the film his coat is a bit darker blue, and I think his flesh has a bit more flesh in it but my mounted version came out too flesh colored and I wanted to cut it back toward the yellow sickly color that it should be and went too far the other way. But that is ok, he looks good enough for gaming with, so I am on to other things.

Squire

Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:00 am

Great work! If i might suggest one thing, it would be to put another highlight on his clavicle, just so the blue doesn't stand out too much, but it does go very well.

Standard Bearer

Re: Still Painting - Sept 7

Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:44 am

I lost sight in one eye for about 3 months and took a break from painting, I could still paint by experience putting the paint where I know it goes, but didn't enjoy the strain nor want to risk bad results.
So I am back at it, working through my Unexpected party while sculpting things. Have a look see.
I have Dwalin finished now too, will get him on the site soon enough. I am not pushing above my normal standard at the moment, just trying to get decent results for the party for gaming with.

Standard Bearer

Re: Still Painting - Sept 7

Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:28 am

I hope your eye is better!

PreviousNext
Return to Painting