Eldarion's LotR Blog [updated 14/05/12]

For all painting related discussions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Standard Bearer

Re: Arnor & Angmar WIP

Wed May 19, 2010 3:56 am

Eldarion Telcontar wrote:For my Shade, I used a quick and easy method to paint it. I basecoated it Shadow Grey, gave it a wash of Leviathan purple in the recesses, then drybrushed it with sucessive layers of Shadow Grey mixed with Fortress Grey up to pure Fortress Grey. Its no masterpiece, but for a model which took me just 30 min to paint (20 min basecoating BY HAND :x ) and base, it ain't bad. :D

Do you have any pics of it?
"Better to keep your mouth shut and seem like a fool, than to open it and confirm that you are."
Mark Twain
Armies: Dwarves, Misty Mountains
Unfinished LoME Profiles:
http://www.terrainguild.com/thelastalliance/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1295

Standard Bearer

Wed May 19, 2010 12:49 pm

Not yet, but when I do they'll just be crappy mobile phone pictures.

Standard Bearer

Thu May 20, 2010 7:40 pm

This is how I am going to paint 12 of my rangers. The other 12 will be in the generic greens & browns.

http://lepalantir.free.fr/spip.php?article389

Squire

Sat May 22, 2010 5:31 pm

They're strangely what GW's bowmen of morthond or whatever they're called look like.
Active member of...
Nundawading Wargames Association (Melbourne, Australia)

Standard Bearer

Sun May 23, 2010 6:52 pm

so far, I have assembled 12 (half) of the rangers, basecoated the purple on 3 of them and the khemri brown on 4 of them.

Villager

Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:20 pm

Ye and also for arnor there seems to be lack of information about cavalry, maybe they never used any. But i dont want an infrantry based army, since they have low courage (GW say based on events against the WK) i want some fast units, so i was thinking get knights of minas tirith, and get cheap warriors of the last alliance, and putting the body, helm, shield and possibly sword arm of the numoreons ontop of the lower body and horses of the knights of minas tirith. I am ,though, stuck on what colour scheme to use, can someone give me some advice? thx

Standard Bearer

Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:39 pm

I think GW missed an oppurtunity with Arnor. It seems like they very much concentrated on the period when Arnor fell, and on the Dunedain/Grey Company during the War of the Ring years towards the end of the Third Age. Arnor was bigger and more powerful than Gondor ever was, I think GW could have made the Arnor faction a lot more diverse by devoting more attention to earlier periods in its history (like when it was still rich and powerful, before it splintered into the three Kingdoms Arthedain, Cardolan and Rhudaur). I would have liked to see the Arnor LoME list split into two - an early period before Arnor lost its war with the WK, with cavalry, a King of Arnor profile (heck, I'd be happy if they simply added the King of Men profile which Gondor's Minas Tirith list has to Arnor's list) elites (e.g. royal guard) and better morale; and the late period when the kingdom fractured into 3 and was defeated by the WK (basically the current Arnor list). Just take the Battle For Middle Earth 2 Rise of the Witch King game for instance - I think that game had some great ideas/units/characters etc that GW could have used as inspiration.

Anyway, back on topic - my 12 Arnor Rangers are now half painted and are coming along quite nicely. Also, whenever I want cavalry in an Arnor force I just take a King of Men with lance/heavy armour/shield/armoured horse and 6 Knights of Minas Tirith.

Squire

Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:37 pm

Eldarion Telcontar wrote:I think GW missed an oppurtunity with Arnor. It seems like they very much concentrated on the period when Arnor fell, and on the Dunedain/Grey Company during the War of the Ring years towards the end of the Third Age.

I'm going to disagree :) I think Ruin of Arnor is the best sourcebook out. But I get what you're saying about GW ignoring almost 2000 years of its history. I also think its possible to proxy quite a bit and come up with Gondor (in Arnor clothing) builds that suit what you're looking for.

Anyway, both Arnor and Angmar are factions I'm keen to build myself, so I'll be keeping an eye on your stuff. Good luck with it! :D

Villager

Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:24 pm

Eldarion Telcontar wrote:I think GW missed an oppurtunity with Arnor. It seems like they very much concentrated on the period when Arnor fell, and on the Dunedain/Grey Company during the War of the Ring years towards the end of the Third Age. Arnor was bigger and more powerful than Gondor ever was, I think GW could have made the Arnor faction a lot more diverse by devoting more attention to earlier periods in its history (like when it was still rich and powerful, before it splintered into the three Kingdoms Arthedain, Cardolan and Rhudaur). I would have liked to see the Arnor LoME list split into two - an early period before Arnor lost its war with the WK, with cavalry, a King of Arnor profile (heck, I'd be happy if they simply added the King of Men profile which Gondor's Minas Tirith list has to Arnor's list) elites (e.g. royal guard) and better morale; and the late period when the kingdom fractured into 3 and was defeated by the WK (basically the current Arnor list). Just take the Battle For Middle Earth 2 Rise of the Witch King game for instance - I think that game had some great ideas/units/characters etc that GW could have used as inspiration.

Anyway, back on topic - my 12 Arnor Rangers are now half painted and are coming along quite nicely. Also, whenever I want cavalry in an Arnor force I just take a King of Men with lance/heavy armour/shield/armoured horse and 6 Knights of Minas Tirith.

Yeh i completely agree with you. People look at arnor as like a branch off of gondor if u get what i mean (well that's what GW shows it as in my opnion), when actually they are two separate kingdoms. I am starting to collect arnor now after thinking of what army to do next, then reading the tolkien books, and arnor are potrayed well, so i have decided to go with them. I wish GW would wake up and make a warriors of arnor box set, although they probably won't. I mean the others have sets right? so y not arnor

Villager

Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:28 pm

Also Eldarion, i know this is like a completely stupid question, but are the figs for arnor all plastic or metal, cause i need cavalry and i was thinking for a standard just simply getting gondor mounted bearer and arnor bearer and replacing banners (that is if they are plastic), if metal then just stick top half of arnor bearer on bottom of gondor bearer

PreviousNext
Return to Painting