First attempt at painting

For all painting related discussions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

First attempt at painting

Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:32 pm

A few months ago I picked up my first set of miniatures, the warriors of the last alliance, which I have been painting slowly but steadily. I'd like to share the final result with you, and some feedback and tips are always appreciated by this budding hobbyist! :D

I hope the images are clear enough, it was the best I could manage at the moment :?
http://imgur.com/a/h8FFr

Lance

EDIT: can't believe how I missed the patch of silver on the Numenorean's shield. Fixed it immediately d:

Villager

Re: First attempt at painting

Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:22 pm

If these are examples of your first attempt at painting miniature, you most certainly have nothing to be ashamed of! Those are really nice work, good clean lines with good highlighting and shading evident.
Mike

Squire

Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:37 am

Very nice paint job - especially for a first timer. Keep challenging youself with layering and blending colors - it looks like you already a have a great handle on painting clean lines and attention to detail.

Good luck and paint on!

Squire

Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:20 am

You lie lol that is not your first attempt.
they look very good, very decent table top standard.

next step for you is to get a smaller brush and use slightly less paint on the faces, but you are already being as good as everyone else.

Squire

Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:28 am

Great job for your first time... I wish I was that good when I first started.
;) ;) ;)

Villager

Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:00 pm

First attempt? Well done :!:

Villager

Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:49 pm

Thanks for the kind comments :) !

I did get some tips from my local GW shop owner and some youtube tutorials to get started, and I'm quite happy with how they worked out. I can see what you meant with getting a smaller brush, these eyes took a while to get even remotely right... Problem is, I already used a Citadel Fine Detail brush for that, and I'm not sure if they get any smaller than that over there. I'll have a look at another hobby shop and see if they stock anything else.

Villager

Second attempt at painting

Sun May 24, 2015 11:30 am

The last two months or so I've been painting a few more models now and then, my pace isn't amazing but I'm quite pleased with the results:

http://imgur.com/a/WHHd0

First up where the rangers, with which I first experimented with face highlighting. I tried to vary as much with the greens and browns as possible, as they are more individual than standardised group fighters imo which I tried to reflect in the paint scheme. I only have two major brown shades to work with though, Rhinox Hide and Mournfang Brown. Does anyone have good brown highlighting advice to make them truly come alive?

Next up were the High Elf Warriors. The paint scheme is pretty much the same as my earlier Warriors of the Last Alliance, but I'm particularly happy with how a light runefang steel drybrush highlighted the armour. My elves after these will probably have grey robes instead of blue, though.

And last were the Warriors of Minas Tirith. Pretty straightforward models to paint, I guess, not really much to say about them except that I'm quite content with how they worked out.

I do think my highlights, especially on robes, are a bit too thick and contrasting. I've ordered a pot of Lahmian Medium to try and experiment with thinning paints more, but so far I'm not too sure on how to approach the level of blending I see from more advanced painters online. Maybe someone has a tip for this newbie? :D

Lance

Return to Painting