Epiktetos' work

For all painting related discussions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Epiktetos' work

Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:37 pm

So, I recently got a new camera that's actually capable of taking decent images so these are some pictures of my work I've taken while having a bit of a play, apologies if they're not clear enough, still playing about a bit with settings. I'd consider myself an average painter and I particularly struggle with faces (as you can see below).

First up, one of my Balrogs

Next my Mounted Gandalf the Grey (base not finished yet)

And finally, though not LotR related, some Doctor Who miniatures I occasionally paint for birthday presents for my brother

Squire

Re: Epiktetos' work

Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:14 am

You have some nice painting going on. My only problem is the horse's eyes. There's too much white showing. Other than that great work! :)
My WIP page: Click Here! -->So It Begins

Current Project: Dragon - Cave Trolls - Goblins

Villager

Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:33 pm

Thanks for the advice Wah Wing. Have redone the eyes on it now and done some more work on the base (will try and get some pics up later).

Had a productive day today for a change, got some work in on a couple bases, reassembled a Cave Troll I dropped a couple months back and have made some real progress on my latest project;

I have magnetized the wings and the head to make it easier to transport and paint those parts separately, although the right wing may be a tad too heavy/in an awkward position so I may have to glue that wing on after all unless I can find a way to make it more stable. Here are some pics of the whole thing together.

Still need to touch up a few areas with some green stuff but it's beginning to take shape and I'm now really looking forward to painting him.

I'm planning to paint him in six parts; the base, each wing, the head, the body and Bilbo so I can really get in to each area properly.

Standard Bearer

Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:32 am

Looks awesome, A lot of work, but still awesome.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Standard Bearer

Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:56 am

Can't wait to see more Smaug!

Villager

Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:03 pm

Another productive day (two Sundays in a row, I'm threatening to make a habit of this :P ). I've managed to prime almost all of Smaug and cleaned and assembled these models which will be part of another project I'm working on;

I've also finally gotten round to sorting out all my paints. I had to box up a lot of my hobby stuff and take a break of several months after the ceiling in my brother's room collapsed and all his stuff had to be moved into my room while it was sorted so I needed to re-assess what paints I already had and which were now now so thick they were pretty much no longer usable. To this end I spent a couple hours creating a spreadsheet to help me keep track of them all in future and checking each pot. Perhaps not surprisingly, most of the paints I can no longer use are either from the very, very old flat-topped pots, or from the newer base range. All the paints from in-between are still perfectly usable, as are the newer layers and most of the bases. I even found some of the old inks GW used to do!

As if all that wasn't enough, I even managed to find time to make a start on this old Davros miniature, my first actual painting attempt in months;

I haven't made a start on the jacket yet but, as there's an awful lot of black on the model, my intention is to go for something like a Karak Stone/black mix for highlights on the jacket to tie in with the brownish skin. For the metal lower body I've tried to go for a pure black basecoat with pure white highlights to show an almost unnaturally dark, shiny material to contrast the humanoid upper body with the Dalek lower body but I don't think I've managed to pull it off so perhaps a rethink is needed there (and definitely a tidy-up if nothing else as the lines aren't straight).

Now to dig out my DVDs and try and decide exactly what shades of red and brown I want to use on Smaug.

Standard Bearer

Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:03 am

Cool.
Smaug will be a tough beast to paint that is for sure.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Villager

Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:02 am

Sithious wrote:Cool.
Smaug will be a tough beast to paint that is for sure.

I am trying to get the guts to do Smaug. It's too expensive to stuff it up!

Squire

Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:36 am

Our Smaug is almost assembled. But nervous to start the paint job; worried about all those beautiful scales on his skin. Should get an airbrush.

Villager

Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:45 am

Kalle wrote:Our Smaug is almost assembled. But nervous to start the paint job; worried about all those beautiful scales on his skin. Should get an airbrush.

good luck !

Return to Painting