Help about painting a Rohan army

For all painting related discussions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Help about painting a Rohan army

Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:42 pm

Callum (age 8) and granddad (me) are about to start on our army of Rohan. We have looked at the films, the internet and the book.

In the book we find a description of Eormer's force:
"Their horses were of great stature, strong and clean-limbed; their grey coats glistened, their long tails flowed in the wind, their manes were braided on their proud necks. The men that rode them matched them well; tall and long-limbed; their hair, flaxen-pale, flowed under their light helms, and streamed in braids behind them; their faces were stern and keen. In their hands were tall spears of ash, painted shields were slung at their backs, long swords were at their belts, their burnished shirts of mail hung down at their knees."

Erkenbrand is described as carrying a red shield. Green and white are also mentioned.

So ...
- Do we go for the film look with greens and white predominating?
- Do we go for a more book type force with mixed colours on their shields - probably the natural colours of red, ochre (yellow), white, grey, black, blue and brown - and natural dye colours for the coats so that we have a sort of "Saxon shield wall" look?
- Should each captain have his own heraldry and so similar colours for his followers?
- For example should all Erkenbrand's force have red shields?

The Lords would get brighter colours but Eowyn masquerading as a warrior would not.

Thoughts please.

Site Admin

Re: Help about painting a Rohan army

Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:50 am

Personally I like them with greens and browns, then a small amount of red and for the whites to actually be a bit off-white. They look good in earthy, natural tones.

Here's a great example.

These aren't my models, I found those on here: http://paintsngluenrocknroll.blogspot.c ... inted.html

Villager

Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:26 pm

Many thanks. That is the sort of look I was thinking of. Only the "lords" will have bright colours.

Ideal!

Villager

Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:58 am

Here are some pics of my Rohan Royal Guard, if you choose to add some to your army.

Villager

Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:00 pm

Thanks. I will keep a lookout for these. Nicely done.

Return to Painting