Goblin town - anyone post here

For all terrain based discussions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Warrior

Goblin town - anyone post here

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:09 pm

So, it seems that there are multiple people with the terrain bug working on goblin town terrain. So, I thought we could make one big thread with all of our work on here. I'll start off with what I've done so far. (These are in my wip thread too, but I'll post any more updates in this thread rather...)

Squire

Re: Goblin town - anyone post here

Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:07 am

Thanks for opening up a thread for this! The terrain bug is going around.

Here's some of my stuff. I'm working on various smaller projects so I'm working on a bit at a time. This is what I have so far.

Here's a completed bridge that is the exact dimensions of the one in the Starter Set.

And here's a press mold of the door I made to add detail to the suspension bridges. I'm thinking of creating a vast multi-level network of bridges and platforms, so this press mold should come in handy.

Warrior

Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:00 pm

Staindsoul4life - That's looking good. I look forward to some more progress.

As for me, I've done a lot more. I finished off the large platform, though I may add more small details. I also finished off a smaller platform, and am working on a third. I made a third narrow walkway, and two wider ones. I also made a second suspension bridge, with wire. It worked very well imho. I think I'll have some skulls or something hanging off the ahndrail of the second bridge, so it's not quite finished. Oh yes, and I also made up some torches. There'll be unlit ones lying around, as well as some lit ones.

The large platform is 26cm/20cm, the small is 11cm/15cm.
I stuck a 25mm base in some of the pictures so you can get an idea of the scale.

Standard Bearer

Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:03 pm

Far better than GW's I'd say. Much better to scratch build your own terrain, using your own (and others') ingenuity and creativity; than buy an over-priced mass produced plastic kit with little scope for variety.

Bravo everyone, your work is inspiring. I look forward to your next updates. This thread may well challenge Feanor's "Of Rocks and Mithril" in terms of sheer terrain epicness. :D

Squire

Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:54 am

theavenger001 - Looking forward to the madness you're brewing on your side! Seems like you GOB town is going to be completed three times faster than mine. Also seems like we got a "dueling pianos" thing going on here with terrain. Lol.

This is what I got completed so far. I'm taking forever because of detail. I'm a stickler for that kind of stuff. I'm currently distressing every individual piece of "plank" to fit into each section which is time consuming (to say the least). Three sections..one with a big gap requiring a "jump test"...

The last section, I decided to create an area of the wood that under pressure completely gave way...which I think is pretty cool. Small detail, but I'll make a difference as a whole.

Some models and change in perspective to give a sense of what that detail gives to the section.

In gaming perspective, I'm thinking of making a specific section of goblin town this epic, single bridge that only one model can stand on (25mm wide). Adding an objective marker in the middle and having both sides run to the objective seems pretty cool to me. The only way off the bridge is to fight and/or plummet to your death. Reminds me of the movie when the Dwarves were brushing off the Goblins from side to side five at a time while running through a narrow section.

I'm thinking running this bridge the diagonal part of a 4'x4' table...I can get away with a 24" long, narrow bridge section. This is going to be nuts...

Squire

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:25 am

Standard Bearer

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:24 am

Cool stuff guys! Love to see this progress. And as other said: it's much better than GW's plastic terrain!
Also known as "Fëanor, the mighty elf"

Standard Bearer

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:28 am

I think they may give your Dwarven Mine a run for its money Feanor!

Standard Bearer

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:41 am

Haha, are you trying to make me continue working on the mines again? ;) Still don't have the time I'm afraid.
Anyway, these projects are indeed amazing! In fact, I want to make Goblin Town myself too.. (Not like in the movies, but like in the books.)
Also known as "Fëanor, the mighty elf"

Squire

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:54 am

In true Orc fashion...no measuring, no planning...cut and build.

Fëanor....I say you should get in this. :D All it takes is 20 mins a day.

Next
Return to Terrain