Goblin town - anyone post here

For all terrain based discussions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Squire

Re: Goblin town - anyone post here

Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:01 am

That's awesome! I love seeing completed work like that. I barely have enough terrain for a 2x2 table so this is really nice to see. I noticed you didn't include any of the GW terrain. I'm most likely going to do the same thing.

When it comes to Object Source Lighting, I think you did a great job. I have yet to attempt it and what you've done is very, very effective above-table-top-quality, in my opinion. I like how it adds to the atmosphere of a cavern like Goblin-Town. Very effective.

Will we see a Bat-Rep soon on this board? :D

Standard Bearer

Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:54 pm

Very awesome work.
I have a ton of balsa, pop sticks, various other things, and alot of foam still...I have been wanting to make a Goblin/Dwarf Cavern for a long time (alot of inspiring stuff in LOTR the third age game). I also have a table for it...
So I have been following this alot...I like both styles, the high walkways of Staindsoul4life's project are awesome as well as the angles of the shots... and the modular terrain of Theavenger001's stuff has a very emyn muil affect that makes for good gaming. I want to have a lower cavern with very little build on it for my Cave Drake, Watcher, Dragon, etc... to have a solid resting place but also have an upper section with tons of high walkways and ledges for goblin hunting...
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Squire

Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:33 am

I agree. Flat, open sections would be more large-model-user-friendly. I've come across a few issues with my design:

1) The smooth texture of the wood surface makes standing models difficult if the rise of the platform exceeds 35 degree angle.
2) Most sections so far are not large-model-friendly because of thin walkways.
3) Keeping it modular and storing /assembly easy.

I guess I can roughen the surface by adding some fine sand + PVA glue texture and see how that works.
For large models (cave troll, great goblin, etc..) I'll have to construct wider sections in the next upcoming updates. Should I even bother magnetizing these terrain pieces for ease of storing and assembly?

Sithious, are you building this low-cavern goblin town soon? I'd be interested in your take on this project. :D

Standard Bearer

Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:42 pm

As soon as I finish the ten riders for the beast of Gorgoroth, I will be entirely focussed on Goblins, Dwarves and Goblin Town...Aside from the new Goblin Town stuff, I do have Gundabads to do (bought 32 of the warriors and the command), and some moria prowlers and the (newer) moria king and spiderMc'lovin, great time to repaint my cave trolls to unify them. Lots of old dwarves plus the very expected party...

The scenery will be very fun to build up (painting all those components are not as fun, but that is ok).

Squire

Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:48 am

Looking forward to your works in progress, Sithious.

Here are some shots of last weekends gaming for my brothers birthday. We celebrated playing a small campaign of Battle Companies. No battle report done, but there were some epic events where an Uruk had possession of the Palantir (objective), had to make it off the edge of the board and a 6" JUMP off the highest wooden plank bridge for the win. I roll 6 STR 3 hits and surely by probability I was not going to survive needing only a 5+ to seal my death.

Rolled 4 - ones and 2 - twos.

Unbelievably EPIC upset for the Good side.

Because I have yet to glue (or decide to magnetize) the set, it was built with the idea that movement was to be done carefully so it wouldn't fall. Any bumps would cause it to become more and more unstable...until it collapsed on the 7th round, luckily, few models took any damage...they all moved to ground level.

Standard Bearer

Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:15 pm

Sounds like great fun until the great earthquake hit!

I never purposely made Goblin Town, but I tried to use my existing Terrain that I had to make something similar. What do you guys think?

Warrior

Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:05 pm

Looks awesome! I like the slightly unconventional steampunk feel to it, with those brass tubes and lava pits.

Squire

Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:53 pm

That is really cool. Looks more like goblin town with a pinch of steampunk compared to mine...my table looks like scaffolding from Harad or some distant desert land. Kudos on your resourcefulness creatively revamping your existing terrain board! :D

Standard Bearer

Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:09 am

Thanks guys. I never thought of it like steampunk haha but cheers! :lol:

Standard Bearer

Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:19 pm

Ok here I go...
I am making a multi level board. the colums will support an entire upper level once done, but all of these will be connected with many stick walkways and be a goblin town. there will be scaffold to lead to the floor level as well. and a stair going from floor level to the second level (which will have more dwarven style decor to be fair ha ha).
It begins...
Lots of sticks an balsa...

and a video I made of how to texture a colum/cliff quick and easy. http://youtu.be/SKpq4cnLX68

PreviousNext
Return to Terrain