Squire

Re: Goblin town - anyone post here

Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:14 am

YESSS!!! Sithious is ON BOARD!!!

Standard Bearer

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:43 am

Update, small.
So, I finished the knife work on all of the columns. I now have to add alot of sand and rock to it and the flat surface. I also have to build the stairway up. I plan to demo texturing these as well as making a texture base paint on the next vid but will be with my daughter the next few days and won't get much done. i made one small section of wood plank, but will make much better ones, longer ones, and all sorts of crazyness once all the rock is done (I don't want to have to try and paint the rock around the wood) and then I will be able to secure the pieces as I go along.
Lots to do...
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Squire

Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:48 am

A bit of a small update myself.

I'm playing with the idea of keeping most of the thinner wooden plank bridges completely separate from the scaffolding. Easier to store and more modular.

I'm having trouble keeping the scaffolding from falling over during gaming. So, magnets will most likely be something I'll be toying with in the near future to see if it will improve.

Made two lower tier plank sections to make climbing to multiple levels easier. I'm also starting to build rock formations out of foam (inspired by Sithious) to start bringing everything together. Maybe this will improve overall stability.

Standard Bearer

Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:03 pm

If I may make a suggestion Sithious - your rock spires are looking rather square and artificial, you might want to round them off a bit. Great work though.

Standard Bearer

Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:39 pm

only if one assumes they were worn down with time and water running...but a dwarf building a scaffold and picking rock off as he decends in a straight line, I hinted at one being eventually a smooth collumn of rock. this is the underbowels of a Dwarven mine (probly not a popular one or city named one, but a mine nonetheless) that eventually was overtaken by gobs (happens alot i supose) so only the scaffolds remain up til the small dwarven town that will be above...yes it is a clever Dodge, ha ha. I did KNOWingly make the rocks/cliffs squared off, and knew that once they were intricately ordained with wood planking and walkways that it would make more sense and allow me to secure the scaffold in straight lines as I need them to be, going in curves is not an easy task with wood that I want models securely standing on.
game use before scenery use, almost always with me.

Standard Bearer

Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:42 pm

Ah, so they ARE artificial spires of rock. That settles that then. :lol:

Standard Bearer

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:51 am

Update...still working on a lot of different things here. Grey is basecoat only so far, just starting some of the wood structures now. those that subscribed to the youtube thing, thanks, hope you won't mind my occasional Vids of my daughter, lol..you don't have to watch but I post them there so just warning you. Know that I made a 2nd video for texturing the rock formations. I have completed that aspect of the project, applying sand with glue and then painting is better on large projects like this. Textured paint is very helpful to repair small areas, or if I end up cutting into a section to add something then I can just patch that spot with textured paint.

edit 3-3-13
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ......
So here is an update regardless. Just one of the structures with multiple modular wood scaffolds. Much more to go.

Villager

Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:16 pm

looks awesome :)

Standard Bearer

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:31 am

Well I have an update. All of the scaffold is modular so I can put it anywhere, the ramping wrapping around the columns is permanent. I still have to make the walkways that will connect them and am working on the last few scaffolds and ladders. and a lot more painting to do, the ground level is textured but not painted yet and no rocks are highlighted yet.

Warrior

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:40 am

Looks awesome. I wish I had more space to store terrain so I could go for something taller like you are. :) Should be lots of fun to game on.

PreviousNext
Return to Terrain