The Grey Havens

For all terrain based discussions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Re: The Grey Havens

Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:02 pm

@Knife in the Dark: I used plastic Wood elves. You can check them out in conversions section. They're in my topic "Aegnor and other conversions".

Standard Bearer

Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:10 pm

Fantastic, again! The board looks fabulous. The stonework is great, and so are the trees. The design also looks very elfish.
The boat is also coming along really nicely. Can't wait to see it all finished!
Also known as "Fëanor, the mighty elf"

Villager

Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:15 pm

Wow...Fantastic work :shock: . I really like construction, boat and your ever "Tolkienian" conversion :D

For trees you can use sponge or sintetic lichen

Squire

Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:50 am

I know this has been domant for a while, but can't help myself...

The question was asked about ideas for the swan ship... here are a couple:

- for the sails, you can use a pair of white Egyptian style triangular sails that would look like wings (if you have seen the movie 10,000 BC the river boats have red triangular sails that look like wings - hence the tribal folks calll them the "red birds"). These would be furled and folded down against the mast when not in use.

- for nautical purposes, you should mount a 'steering board' off the right side of the ship bear the back/stearn (the term "starboard side" to name the right side of a ship came from mounting of the 'steering board' on that side, and "portside" is the side that could pull up along the 'port' without crushing the steeringboard)

- for nautical purposes, you should have a couple lines that run from the bow of the ship, fasten high on the mast, and fasten to the stearn - these lines would reinforce you mast as the sail take on wind

- for cool effect, you could construct some long oars that are shaped like long feathers that when extended can be rowed from the deck to help navigate into port and fold away tight against the side of the ship when stowed (like wing feathers)

- for nautical effect, you could have a small 'rowboat' or two that would be stowed upside down along the centerline of the deck, possibly cover small risers that would be hatches to the below deck storage areas.

- finally, for cool effect, you could have a small catapult or balista mount on the bow deck to blast bad guys as the ship sweeps by...

Those are my ideas for now...

Previous
Return to Terrain