The Grey Havens

For all terrain based discussions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

The Grey Havens

Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:14 am

This is still WIP project and I post it now so I could possibly get some feedback and advice about certain things.

This is build on 24" x 24" polystyrene insulation foam.

So. I would be happy if people who have experience or ideas could share some concerning the finishing of this project. There's lot of things I haven't done before and would like to hear best way to do them.

The green spots on the ground I'm planning to cover with same grass used in mini's bases. Does it endure gaming? Should I use less watered down mixture than normally on mini's bases?

How should I do the water? My current plan is to paint some shades and hues to it and then apply GW:s water effect liquid.

For the trees I'll probably use green foliage. Any tips for that?

I would like to hear all kinds of tips and ideas concerning painting, details and anything really. I was thinking should the house have some kind of windows. And lamps would be great outside. Maybe some bushes and other plants somewhere. And the interior of the house is still quite open.

Any Ideas, thoughts, and tips are truly welcome.

ps. I'll post more pics of the swan ship shown in first pic possibly tomorrow or so.

-Jami

Villager

Re: The Grey Havens

Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:11 am

Interesting idea.. I wouldn't have thought of the Grey Haven's as being a spot for strategy battle games, but perhaps Morgoth could somehow invade with a band of orcs, and balrogs!

I would have thought the trees there being more lush, covered in leaves, unless it's described as otherwise.

Villager

Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:15 pm

Yep. It's true that Grey Havens are quite peaceful place, I don't know was there ever a battle. Possibly that one time in Second Age when Elrond was besieged in Imladris and Gil-Galad and Círdan in Mithlond? Before they were saved by Númenorean fleet send by Tar-Minastir.

I was thinking this could also be used as Eglarest or Brithombar from the First age. Círdan's havens that Morgoth besieged and destroyed after Nírnaeth Arnoediad. Or as Haven at the mouth of Sirion where the third Kinslaying happened.

But the Grey Havens was what I wanted to do since Círdan is my favorite elven lord. :D

The trees are going to get some leaves. I have Medium Green Foliage Clusters from Woodland Scenics which I think I'll use.

Ranger

Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:18 pm

Nice idea and the execution is coming along very well.

Remember that the Grey Havens are on the north-west coast of Middle Earth (roughly comparable to Scotland) so there would be lots of rain (good for tree growth, bad for Elves who would need good shelter) and lots of wind (stunted minor growth, more shelter issues for the Elves). The Grey Havens themselves were partially-sheltered, being inside an inlet from memory, so one could even argue for British Columbia/Norway-style fjords.

With regard to opportunities to fight over the Grey Havens, both Morgoth and Sauron would be very happy to see the Havens razed and the Elves trapped in Middle-Earth, unable to escape to the Undying Lands. This could permit some defences built (solid stone for long-term planning, or temporary wooden palisades, perhaps to cover refugees when a threat is inbound). Corsair raiders might make interesting 'Viking' raids, perhaps with a sea-borne counter-attack by Elven craft.

The Dwarves of the Blue Hills might be frequent visitors, bringing raw materials or crafted items, and Gondorian mariners might pay a visit from time to time (the Dromons of the south would require landing nightly, especially in stormy waters such as would be found off the north-western coasts).

Remember that the Grey Havens were but one such sanctuary/escape route. There was another Elf haven near the mouth of the Anduin on an island, and who knows what isolated communities might lie west of Tharbad in otherwise deserted lands?

Standard Bearer

Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:02 pm

Plenty of possibilities with the Grey Havens, I'm sure that if a Gondor-Elven alliance hadn't defeated Angmar after it overthrew Arnor, the Witch-king would have paid a visit there as well.

Some extra vegetation and variety therein would definitely help, and the grass should indeed be able to survive being trampled by light-footed Elves and burly Uruk-hai alike.
Wouldn't go with the GW water effects, instead try get some from modeling/railway shops or so: exactly the same, but a lot cheaper. Several good guides online, like this one: http://hetairoiwargames.blogspot.nl/sea ... l/Samurais

Good to see I'm not the only one who has a Círdan with a proper beard by the way. Looks much better, right?

Villager

Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:31 pm

@typhoon2 Thanks for very informative description of the climate and stuff. I'll keep that in mind. The name Grey Havens seems fitting to a rainy and windy place you descriped.

Ah ye Edhellond was that southern Haven, right? The one which Amroth drowned, or was that still another now inhabited by Gondorians and named Dol Amroth?

@Coën I have one GW's water effect bottle bought years back, so that's why I planned using it. Water in that Samurai diorama looks just stunning! Never seen so realistic splashes and little waves.

And yeah, Círdan with a long beard is so much better.

Ranger

Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:23 pm

@Jami - yes, that is the one, although I don't know the history. One website claims that it was abandoned 1000 years before the War of the Ring but I seem to remember it being mentioned in LOTR as still existing and that possibly Legolas departed Middle Earth with Gimli from that haven. It was probably as well-hidden as Imladris!

Squire

Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:54 pm

Typhoon: Imay be wrong but didn't leggy and the "goblin mutant" leave from ithilien?And how were those awesome trees made?
IZ A ORK.DAT MEANS IZ STOMPIER KILLIER AND BETTER DEN YOU RUNTZ.WAAAAAAAAA......................GGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Villager

Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:11 am

@da krimson barun: The trunks of the trees are wooden sticks similar to the mast of the boat below. Steel wire was coiled around the sticks to make the surfaces rugged and to make the branches. Next everything was covered with modelling clay (same stuff was used to make swan's head and tail) and sculpted to look like bark. The branches really took a lot of time, since I had to do it little by little so that I wouldn't mess still unhardened clay.

Here's the Swan ship or more rightly a Swan boat:

The boat still lacks sail and some details. I'm wondering what I should add. Some kind of oars probably, maybe one pair looking a bit like swan's legs. What else should the boat have? A little shed or roof? Hatch representing that there's room for stuff beneath the floor? And the mast is still open question. I would prefer one that could be rolled up when the boat is docked. So if anyone has some understanding of seafaring stuff it would greatly help!

-Jami

Warrior

Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:14 am

What models did you use for those soldiers?
Who ever said swimming was easier then running never swam a 400 I.M.

Proud swimmer and athlete for Queen's University of Charlotte

Next
Return to Terrain