Building design

For all terrain based discussions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Building design

Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:36 am

So I was planning to build some Umbar and Harad houses for the tabletop. Although I don't know what they look like. I somehow thought of them like small white cube houses, like these:
http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx ... rt_id=3066

But to get it right I better ask the community.

Ranger

Re: Building design

Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:08 pm

Makes sense for the newer constructions but remember that Umbar was once part of Numenor/Gondor so some of their own architecture would not be inappropriate.

To see 'Arabic' houses in action, see my BatRep here: http://www.thelastalliance.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5183&p=60578&hilit=umbar+recapture#p60578

Standard Bearer

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:34 pm

I would agree with Typhoon that it should still have some grander buildings. Umbar used to be (still is?) a large trading city and would have gotten quite wealthy through it. It also would show the mix of culture as the Gondorian buildings meet the southern culture of warmer weather and sea air, combined with the local stone resources.

The way I would imagine the city to be would be something similar to Italy in the late Medieval period. You have a mix of culture as the Arab world comes across to trade.

I would imagine Umbar as towering domes of painted colours. Open air buidlings and rooftop gardens. Huge Gondorian buildings, built with huge stones painted in a range of colours and patterns, with sheer faces intended to keep the local populace out and create a mini paradise for the Gondorian owner.
You could also likely have the docks, which would likely be smaller buildings, but still large in the respect of many warehouses. They would tend to be practical, but could also be older building built on and expanded/improved.
Then you would have your slum region of the city, effectively filling the gaps between the large Gondorian buildings and filling up the space of the city. These would be ramshackle, as countless people are trying to live on half the space needed. Buildings would crawl ontop of each other as houses are built clinging onto the edge of anything strong enough to support them.
All this could be centred around a great plaza. Filled with pillars, statues and hanging plants. To grow plants in a region like this shows wealth, something that would happily be shown off in the centre of the city.

Nemo

Villager

Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:18 am

Thank you both for the information about the structures. You have given me some good ideas on how to proceed.

Ranger

Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:04 pm

Villager

Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:13 pm

Thanks,I really like the Haradwaith walled city. it has some Assassins Creed(first game) feel to it.

Return to Terrain