Dwarven Weaponry

For all discussions of Tolkien's works.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Dwarven Weaponry

Postby ajgoodwin8194 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:38 pm

I was reading the Hobbit the other day, and found, (to my great surprise), a passage, before the battle of the five armies, that said the Dwarf warriors that came with Dain, at Thorin's request, carried large mattocks on their back! I was just wondering about people's ideas regarding this. Such as; did they use them as weapons? Or did they just carry them on their backs to help dig up the Lonely Mountain when they got there?
"Better to keep your mouth shut and seem like a fool, than to open it and confirm that you are."
Mark Twain
Armies: Dwarves, Misty Mountains
Unfinished LoME Profiles:
http://www.terrainguild.com/thelastalliance/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1295
ajgoodwin8194
Standard Bearer

Re: Dwarven Weaponry

Postby albanaeon » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:21 pm

Well, there were military pick and the like that were basically modifications to mattocks for warfare. They did have the advantage of concentrating all the force of a blow on a small pointed area, which made them good against heavy armor. An actual mattock, however, wouldn't be all that great as a weapon. While you can get a massive blow with one, its extremely forward focused weight would continually be throwing you off balance or overextending you, which is fatal in a fight. So my guess would be that either the dwarves were carrying military picks or were preparing for excavation. Considering they might already be thinking of sieges for defending the Lonely Mountain, I think the second option is right.
albanaeon
Squire

Postby ajgoodwin8194 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:27 pm

Sorry to revive an extremely old and quite dead thread, but I was reading through the appendixes of the RotK and I noticed that during the great battle between the dwarves and orcs, it said that Azog noticed that the dwarves were ripping his men apart with their mattocks. I guess that kinda settles my question then. :)
"Better to keep your mouth shut and seem like a fool, than to open it and confirm that you are."
Mark Twain
Armies: Dwarves, Misty Mountains
Unfinished LoME Profiles:
http://www.terrainguild.com/thelastalliance/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1295
ajgoodwin8194
Standard Bearer

Postby Tuisko » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:32 pm

I'd guess dwarves would manufacture light enought mattocks, that they could be used both a tool and a weapon (by a dwarf). In a same way as their axes are probably made: I don't think dwarves had axes made only for war (exept perhaps the kings and their men), but they used probably woodworking-axes as weapons.

I don't know, though, if a stone-working tool can be made light enough for a weapon, and still durable enough for stone-hacking... perhaps with dwarven steel?

By the way, I have a plan to convert some dwarven rangers with mattocks of some sort. That would be a good way to make warriors look a bit different, too - for example those Iron Hills veterans.
Tuisko
Villager

Postby Stephen Tennyson » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:47 am

Bofurs packing a mattock in the new Hobbit film:
and it is sung that the axe smoked in the black blood of the troll-guard of Gothmog until it withered and each time that he slew Hurin cried 'Aure entuluva! Day shall come again!' Seventy times he uttered that cry; but they took him at last alive...
Stephen Tennyson
Villager

Return to Tolkien