Montizzle's Conversions: Elfhelm

For all discussions on converting your miniatures and using suitable models from other manufacturers.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Montizzle's Conversions: Elfhelm

Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:27 am

I seem to recall that at the Battle of the Hornburg in the the book, Legolas donned a mail shirt and bore arms in the manner of the Rohirrim, at least for the charge at dawn. I decided to armor Legolas in a scalemail shirt, and am debating on whether to give him a shield on his back, on his arm and move the bow to his back, or leave it as is. Thoughts? The next, far more daunting task is (acquiring, then) converting a mounted legolas to match.

IMG_5982 by robertmontag, on Flickr
Last edited by montizzle on Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Warrior

Re: Armoring Legolas

Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:22 am

Personally I would remove the bow from his hand and replace it with a suitable Rohan shield, as the pose of the model seems to favour that approach more. You might also want to consider sculpting the leather shoulder guards he is seen wearing at HD.

Villager

Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:04 am

Two makes a quorum, I will add the shield. I painted it as is earlier today, but I am as terrible a painter as they come, so I am embarrassed to display it. Now that someone interested, I will post the pic as soon as its done. Did the first pic work? I don't know if the link works for everyone.

Warrior

Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:28 am

The link works, the chainmail looks fine so long as you paint it fairly well. I'd perhaps make it a bit longer but that's personal taste :)

Squire

Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:28 pm

That looks pretty cool. I converted the same model, giving it armour like Haldir's Elves. I never got round to painting it though. I'd upload a couple of pictures, but he's 125 miles away unfortunately.
"That's impossible, there's no such thing as trolls."
"Then how do you explain all the dead unicorns?"

Villager

Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:31 pm

I look forward to seeing yours. Mine is almost completed, the shield and touch ups go on tonight. The shield is necessary to tie it to the eventual mounted conversion, but also to make him stand out more among the grey company sitting on my paint desk!

Squire

Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:11 pm

Yeah I forgot to mention, I really like the shield idea. It would really suit the model. Plus it would allow Legolas to go down stairs in his 'special way'. Eugh.

I did consider changing the weapons on mine, but I thought it would be a bit too much hassle. I had a lot of conversions to do at the time.

Villager

Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:52 am

Pix up.

IMG_5984 by robertmontag, on Flickr
IMG_5985 by robertmontag, on Flickr
IMG_5986 by robertmontag, on Flickr
Last edited by montizzle on Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Squire

Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:06 am

Very nice conversion. I quite like that. The shield works well, too.

And I wouldn't worry about the paint job. It's not as bas as you make it out to be. There's quite a bit of room for improvement, but it's got the right colours in the right places. Maybe you could look into how washes work and give that a go. If you're trying out any new painting techniques though, I'd always do a couple of tests with standard soldiers. When something goes wrong on a hero, it's a horrible feeling.

Villager

Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:51 pm

Thank you. Now that I have the conversion bug, I am thinking about sacrificing a few uruk hai (oh, the hum-orc-ity!) to make a sprue of warriors of rohan into easily identifiable helmingas. Just a few shields, here and there to replace lost equipment from the battles at the fords, a broken pike turned throwing spear. I don't think any men will get orc helmets, they seem too focused visually to be anything but sarumans uruks. Thoughts on the matter?

I think I might turn this thread into a conversion workshop rather than open new threads all the time.

Next
Return to Conversions