Montizzle's Conversions: Elfhelm

For all discussions on converting your miniatures and using suitable models from other manufacturers.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Squire

Re: Armoring Legolas

Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:58 pm

Could be a good idea. If you're hesitant about cutting up other models, you could always add a small stone or something to the bases of the models you want to stand out, or paint them slightly differently. Sounds like it could look pretty good though.
"That's impossible, there's no such thing as trolls."
"Then how do you explain all the dead unicorns?"

Villager

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:15 am

I like the bow hanging over his quiver, it's a great touch that keeps the "Legolas-esque" feel and still follows lore from the book!

Villager

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:50 pm

Thank you. Instead of jumping into helmingas, I began converting a new style halbarad into a mounted figure. I do not like the new model, so I am using him as a test case for when I convert the spare old model. I need a saw blade though, because the grinder is taking forever. As an aside, if you find a mounted legolas anywhere, please give me a headsup.

@Jorn, thanks for your support. I try to make conversions subtle enough that they easily fit with the rest of the range, in other words, trying to get a look similar to yours. By the way, did you get an opportunity to photograph your legolas conversion?

Squire

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:29 pm

I'm afraid not chum. I'm at uni and won't be home for another few weeks. I'll try my hardest to remember to get it done for you then.

I have to ask by the way...grinder?

Villager

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:45 am

Dremel tool with a grinding stone. I used it to tone down the helmets on my metal dol amroth knights. I thought I only needed to remove a little metal from halbarad, but he needs more work than that.

Squire

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:05 am

Oh I see. Yeah, a saw would be a good idea. I've never considered using one of those though. I normally just use a file. Are they worth buying?

Villager

Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:31 pm

It is worth every penny. It speeds up conversion work and is useful for lots of things around the house. Just be sure to wear eye protection, because metal shavings fly everywhere.

Over on one ring someone else converted legolas wearing galadhrim armor, headswaping with a haldir's elf model. It seems several people got the same idea at the same time.

Squire

Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:59 pm

Yeah, that's what I did. But I did it by sculpting the armour out of greenstuff. Didn't think of a head-swap. Would have saved a lot of time. But ah well. My Legolas and Haldir look different, I suppose.

Villager

Montizzle's Conversions: Elfhelm

Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:30 am

Here is my Elfhelm conversion. As you can see, it was a simple headswap, and I took his name literally. I went for a patina on the helmet to not only make it stand out from the rest of his armor, but to look like an ancient helmet he took out of a long lost battlefield. I have a mounted Legolas in armor that isn't painted yet, and maybe not completely converted if anyone would like to see.

ImageElfhelm 1 by robertmontag, on Flickr

ImageElfhelm 2 by robertmontag, on Flickr

ImageElfhelm 3 by robertmontag, on Flickr

ImageElfhelm 4 by robertmontag, on Flickr

Villager

Re: Montizzle's Conversions: Elfhelm

Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:47 am

PreviousNext
Return to Conversions