Green stuff weapons

For all discussions on converting your miniatures and using suitable models from other manufacturers.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Green stuff weapons

Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:06 am

Hi, is it possible to use green stuff to make weapons like pikes, swords and bows?

And how long would you have to wait for it to fully set?

Squire

Re: Green stuff weapons

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:11 am

I wouldn't recommend using gs alone for weapons. Even when cured it would be so thin and rubbery they would end up droopy. The best bet is to use metal wire such as a straightened paperclip. You can hammer it flat then file to a point. Greenstuff can then be added to it for details.

Squire

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:28 am

As above. I tried making weapons from GS and they are bendy, I believe this is because they need something to "hold onto" to set firmer. If you have enough GS im pretty sure it just holds onto itself so it works ok.

Also, I am no expert with GS by any means, so use UKFB's advice, but I think you need to also use a higher proportion of yellow to blue to get a stiffer weapon? Confirmation please or recommendation for ratio for making weapons/staffs.

Squire

Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:58 am

No, more blue than yellow is required for a firmer mix. If however you are trying to blend putty in seamlessly then use more yellow than blue, as it will be softer and easier to smear.

Squire

Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:51 pm

I'm gunna sound like an idiot but what is the difference between the yellow and blue? :oops: bit embarrassing to ask but it's a must know

Squire

Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:34 pm

One is the resin and the other is the catalyst or hardener. When you mix them together it creates a chemical reaction that causes the resulting mix to set firm. By altering the ratio of the mix from 50:50 to something different (eg 75:25) you can alter the properties of the final product.

Squire

Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:39 pm

Ok thanks :mrgreen:

Return to Conversions