Smaug the Magnificent

For all discussions on converting your miniatures and using suitable models from other manufacturers.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Smaug the Magnificent

Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:42 am

Hi guys, just getting back into the hobby and I'm particularly into the sculpting side of things. The first sculpt I've done since getting back into the hobby is my interpretation of Smaug( pre-film). Sadly, the board attachment quota has been reached, so I can't upload any pictures here, but feel free to view a video I've just uploaded to my YouTube channel if you'd like to see it, the link is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xor5acKB3iY Hope you like it :)

Villager

Re: Smaug the Magnificent

Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:00 pm

Amazing! I prefer four legged Smaug over the movie version. How did you do the wings? I'm sculpting Ulmo :D and was wondering how to make a cloak for him. Your technique for those wings might work.

Villager

Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:26 pm

I've no word :o We want to see paint!

Villager

Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:36 am

Amazing talent :shock:
Some people HOPE for things to happen
Some people WISH for things to happen
Successful people MAKE things happen

Villager

Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:37 pm

Thanks people, I do hope to get it painted very soon. Just bought some Chaos Black spray paint ready for me to get it primed. Working on a couple of other Middle-Earthy sculpts as well at the moment though which I'm quite excited about. Jami, basically I just cut two pieces of card into roughly the shape i wanted. Then I flattened green stuff on each side (this took a while). Then I folded the green stuff layered card into the desired shape of the wings (I'd already marked out the card's fold lines). Before I did this though I'd folded some thick wire into the wing's musculature and beefed this out with green stuff, so the card just fitted straight onto it. Good luck with your sculpting :)

Villager

Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:39 am

That sounds good technique. I'll give it a try! Thanks.

The coiled tail is skillfully done. Can't wait to see him painted! (not that I want to hurry you too much though, take your time :D)

Return to Conversions