Smaug the converted

For all discussions on converting your miniatures and using suitable models from other manufacturers.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Standard Bearer

Smaug the converted

Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:31 am

So.. yeah, $500 for a smaug may be one thing to discuss, but more so is would you bring it to a store for a match, risk gaming with a bunch of accidents waiting to smash your $500 plus paint assembly time to bits? Not me.

So I have tinkered with making a viable cheaper replacement for gaming. Comfortable in size, a little epoxy work (or a lot of) and I think I have it.

Check out my Home page here;
http://www.sithious.webs.com

You can see where I am with it and this is the best time to provide advice cause there are still many things to sculpt. I have drawn the wings, watched the Documentaries for how WETA made it and the footage so I think I can manage a fair decoy for the model. I will also be making two bases for this, one on a treasure horde and another on a pair of laketown buildings and wreckage. So please let me know your interest, feedback and advice while I tackle this little project. You can see from my site I am no stranger to large projects. 8-)
The dragon armature was $12 and epoxy I always have, but a fresh set of tubes is $20... so far that puts me ahead a bit and far easier to shake off when a friend drops a metal Trol spearman on him buy mistake or some such foolery.
Edit - here are pictures for those who don't wish to link off.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Villager

Re: Smaug the converted

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:57 pm

Sithious wrote:So.. yeah, $500 for a smaug may be one thing to discuss, but more so is would you bring it to a store for a match, risk gaming with a bunch of accidents waiting to smash your $500 plus paint assembly time to bits? Not me.

:D Sometimes I forget the fact that, that model is $500 floating around a game table, lol. And you would need to have eyes in the back of your head when you're gaming in a public place while buying a soda at a vending machine, not that no one is trust worthy, you just become extra paranoid!

Standard Bearer

Re: Smaug the converted

Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:27 am

Interesting work. I'm looking forward to more developments!

Return to Conversions