Nah, I've given him a Black cloak. I read somewhere on the SAGA forums and elsewhere on the internet that Black and White dyes were some of the most expensive and rare dyes in the Dark Ages because the ingredients were very expensive (Black) or the process of making them was so difficult (White).http://www.42nd-dimension.com/NFPS/nfps_colours.html
What is clear from experimental archaeology however, is that the brightest and the most colourful dyes were usually the most expensive and thereby used by the more well to do Viking. In this category we also find Jet Black and Brilliant White. The former was a mixture of three of the most expensive dyes: cochineal - red, woad - blue, and a brilliant yellow probably weld. The latter was produced by the repetitive process of wetting then sun drying, or else bleaching the material white with wood ash.
Therefore I'm going to limit Black, White, Red, Blue and bright Yellow to my characters or veteran warriors (e.g. Huscarls). The website above refers to Viking clothing, but I'm guessing the dyes used in Northern Europe at the time would have been broadly similar.
This the model I'm talking about.http://www.grippingbeast.com/product.php?ItemID=268441441
I've given him a Black cloak, and I'm actually rather proud of it. I used progressive highlights of Chaos Black mixed with Codex Grey. The top of the cloak is lined with Fur, I drybrushed this White for contrast with the Black cloak.
His Hair and beard I made blonde, with a basecoat of Lyanden Darksun, washed with Devlan Mud, then highlighted with Lyanden Darksun:Skull White 2:1. The face I basecoated with Tallarn Flesh, washed with Devlan mud, then highlighted with Tallarn Flesh:Elf Flesh 2:1. Oh, and I also paintstakingly painted the eyes. He looks a little wide eyed, but my excuse is he's fighting in the front rank of a shield wall.
The metal I painted Boltgun Metal, then washed twice with Badab Black to get a nice dull flat metal. I'm not going to highlight it as I'm happy with the way it is. I initially wanted to drybrush the chainmail, but the detail isn't good enough - the chainmail recesses appear too shallow or "rubbery" for drybrushing to work well, so I settled for a flat metal with a wash.
I painted the tunic (and sleeves) Scab Red (I can't remember the last time I used this pot of Scab Red - it was at least over 6 years ago. But it's still fit for use if a little gloopy in parts so what the hell.
). I then highlighted with Scab Red:Skull White 3:1.
The shield face I painted Dark Flesh (again using a 6 or 7 year old paint pot). Not going to do anything else with it at this point - I might eventually get some Gripping Beast Anglo Saxon shield transfers.
The trousers I painted with Knarloc Green, highlighted with Knarloc Green:Gretchin Green 2:1. The leg wrappings I painted Dheneb Stone, then washed with Devlan mud. The shoes I painted Calthan Brown and washed with Devlan mud. The leg wrappings and shoes still need highlighting.
Only thing remaining other than the shoes, leg wrappings and shield transfer is to base the model.