SAGA

For all discussions regarding Privateer Press, Mantic etc, including GW's other systems.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Re: SAGA

Postby Eldarion Telcontar » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:41 pm

Well I wanted some Fyrd (Levies) as well as Thegns (Warriors). The boxes only cost £20 for 44 Gripping Beast plastic Saxon Thegns, and $20 (about £15-£18) for 32 Wargames Factory Saxon Fyrd (also plastic). (edit: in fact the boxes were cheaper than that, probably about £15 each. I can't remember the discount).

Oh, and I've actually got 8 metal Huscarls (Hearthguard) with Dane Axes, not 4. I wanted to just make the one purchase and be done with it. I won't be needing anymore models anytime soon. :D I found some good deals today.

Unfortunately, people visiting the bring and buy were very stingy. I had a bunch of models LotR and 40K that I was selling for half price or less compared to GW prices when bought new.

Angbor and Six Clansmen of Lamedon for £14 (would be more than £30 from GW).
Osgiliath Veterans (2) for £4 (just 2, I misplaced the third with a sword and shield).
Legolas, from the original Fellowship box £5
Gandalf the White on Shadowfax (the original) £8.
Citadel Guard Archers (2) £4
Boromir of the White Tower (foot version with banner) £8
High Elves (6, plastic, one broken) £2
Mordor Orc Captain £4
Minas Tirith Captain £4
Witch King, Pelennor Fields £4 (the foot model, with the morningstar and Crown).

I also had a Space Marine Terminator squad and a Dreadnought for half price. But all I sold all day was a Chaos Space Marines Codex for £10.
Last edited by Eldarion Telcontar on Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eldarion Telcontar
Standard Bearer

Postby Dînadan » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:00 am

Keep the Angbor and Clansmen and you'll have a Scots army if an expantion to SAGA is released with a scots list =p

Also, bare in mind that the Thegns could be used as Huscarls easily (if anything, they'd probably be more suitable as huscals as huscarls were more likely to have mail than ceorls), and the Fyrd minis could probably be used as Coerls (of the poorer variety).

In my Anglo Dane army I use Gripping Beast's Ragnar Lothbrok with the spear swapped out for a dane axe as my warlord, Anglo Danish huscarls and Gripping Beast plastic Hirdmen (originally bought for use as Dunlendings for LotR) as huscarls, more plastic hirdmen (originally bought for use as Rohirim) and Crusader Minatures Vanangian Guard (originally bought for use as Variags of Khand) as Coerls, and Viking Bondi, Bondi Bowmen (orginially bought for use as Rohirim) and LotR Rangers (to make up numbers) as levy.
Dînadan
Standard Bearer

Postby Lord Hyper » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:15 am

looks pretty interesting
Lord Hyper
Standard Bearer

Postby Eldarion Telcontar » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:04 pm

I have my first model (King Alfred) basecoated. Still need to post up photos for the painting competition so I might post some of him at the same time.
Eldarion Telcontar
Standard Bearer

Postby Dînadan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:02 pm

Eldarion Telcontar wrote:I have my first model (King Alfred) basecoated. Still need to post up photos for the painting competition so I might post some of him at the same time.

Give him a red cloak and enter him in the painting comp as a King of Rohan :p
Dînadan
Standard Bearer

Postby Eldarion Telcontar » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:26 pm

Nah, I've given him a Black cloak. I read somewhere on the SAGA forums and elsewhere on the internet that Black and White dyes were some of the most expensive and rare dyes in the Dark Ages because the ingredients were very expensive (Black) or the process of making them was so difficult (White).

http://www.42nd-dimension.com/NFPS/nfps_colours.html

What is clear from experimental archaeology however, is that the brightest and the most colourful dyes were usually the most expensive and thereby used by the more well to do Viking. In this category we also find Jet Black and Brilliant White. The former was a mixture of three of the most expensive dyes: cochineal - red, woad - blue, and a brilliant yellow probably weld. The latter was produced by the repetitive process of wetting then sun drying, or else bleaching the material white with wood ash.

Therefore I'm going to limit Black, White, Red, Blue and bright Yellow to my characters or veteran warriors (e.g. Huscarls). The website above refers to Viking clothing, but I'm guessing the dyes used in Northern Europe at the time would have been broadly similar.

This the model I'm talking about.

http://www.grippingbeast.com/product.php?ItemID=268441441

I've given him a Black cloak, and I'm actually rather proud of it. I used progressive highlights of Chaos Black mixed with Codex Grey. The top of the cloak is lined with Fur, I drybrushed this White for contrast with the Black cloak.

His Hair and beard I made blonde, with a basecoat of Lyanden Darksun, washed with Devlan Mud, then highlighted with Lyanden Darksun:Skull White 2:1. The face I basecoated with Tallarn Flesh, washed with Devlan mud, then highlighted with Tallarn Flesh:Elf Flesh 2:1. Oh, and I also paintstakingly painted the eyes. He looks a little wide eyed, but my excuse is he's fighting in the front rank of a shield wall. :lol:

The metal I painted Boltgun Metal, then washed twice with Badab Black to get a nice dull flat metal. I'm not going to highlight it as I'm happy with the way it is. I initially wanted to drybrush the chainmail, but the detail isn't good enough - the chainmail recesses appear too shallow or "rubbery" for drybrushing to work well, so I settled for a flat metal with a wash.

I painted the tunic (and sleeves) Scab Red (I can't remember the last time I used this pot of Scab Red - it was at least over 6 years ago. But it's still fit for use if a little gloopy in parts so what the hell. :) ). I then highlighted with Scab Red:Skull White 3:1.

The shield face I painted Dark Flesh (again using a 6 or 7 year old paint pot). Not going to do anything else with it at this point - I might eventually get some Gripping Beast Anglo Saxon shield transfers.

The trousers I painted with Knarloc Green, highlighted with Knarloc Green:Gretchin Green 2:1. The leg wrappings I painted Dheneb Stone, then washed with Devlan mud. The shoes I painted Calthan Brown and washed with Devlan mud. The leg wrappings and shoes still need highlighting.

Only thing remaining other than the shoes, leg wrappings and shield transfer is to base the model.
Eldarion Telcontar
Standard Bearer

Postby Dînadan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:36 pm

That mini looks a bit too healthy to be Alfred to me, but then again, I'm currently re-reading the Bernard Cornwell Dark Age books, so my mental image of Alfred's probably been effected by that :lol:
Dînadan
Standard Bearer

Postby Eldarion Telcontar » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 pm

So am I (well, I've read the first one, and will eventually get the second after I read A Song of Ice and Fire).

Its believed that Alfred may have suffered from Chrohn's disease, which causes, among other things, very painful abdominal pains and diarrhea. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crohn%27s_disease#Signs_and_symptoms. But considering he was a very sucessful King (at times), and managed to defeat several Danish invasions, or otherwise managed to sucessfully stage a comeback after being defeated, and even survived several months hiding out in some marshes with a handful of men after a defeat before gathering an army and retaking his Kingdom, and late in his life managed to retake London and drive the Danes north...it can't have been that severe. :)
Eldarion Telcontar
Standard Bearer

Previous

Return to Other Wargames