Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

For all discussions regarding Privateer Press, Mantic etc, including GW's other systems.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Postby Dînadan » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:22 pm

I'm going to be running a WHFRPG campaign at my club in the near future and just wanted to ask if anyone with experience has any tips for a first time DM?
Dînadan
Standard Bearer

Re: Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Postby Elentir » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:53 pm

I did DM a very informal D&D campaign a few weeks ago for my friends and nobody really took it seriously, so the best advice I can give you is to be ready for anything your players can throw at you! make sure whatever you have planned is flexible
Elentir
Warrior

Postby Dînadan » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:18 pm

Some pics of minis that will be used in the campaign:

WiP Fenbeast:

WiP mutants:

Skeletons:

Zombies:
Dînadan
Standard Bearer

Postby Prime505 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:00 pm

ummm not rules but things to be weary of.
It's not you versus the players, your job is to make it fun for them.. it's tempting to throw big things at people, you can.. but within reason.
Falling into that category is having NPC come to the rescue.. the players want to be the heroes so try and avoid having the NPC do the cool stuff.
I haven't played the new version but the old version could get bogged down with combat, small forces of crap enemies or a large enemy they can all focus on is better then a large force of tough enemy.. reason I say this is because we had one combat fight that lasted four game sessions... I wanted to kill myself by the end, it was tedious.

Have fun and try and make it fun for the players, this will guarantee people come back to play.
Prime505
Squire

Postby Dînadan » Fri May 04, 2012 6:32 am

Thanks for the feedback - haven't been on here in ages so sorry for the lateness of the reply.

Since starting this thread, I've run two sessions, and the combats in both were at opposite extremes. In the first session the PCs were attacked by a group of bandits with just below adverage stats and had a tough time, surviving mostly thanks to an NPC (being played by an extra player sitting in on the game) with well below adverage stats (to the extent that they were all joking that they should try and talk the NPC into joining them on their 'quest'). I nthe second game they fought a gang of mutants (stats originally were at adverage, but I dropped them all by 5% in liue of how game 1 went) and they slaughtered their way through them, including gunning down a big gribbly before it got anywhere near them.

Have yet to do another session/write a new scenario due to uni work/exams.
Dînadan
Standard Bearer

Return to Other Wargames