New Eldar player

For all discussions regarding Privateer Press, Mantic etc, including GW's other systems.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

New Eldar player

Postby stickybottle22 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:18 am

hi, I just started collecting the Eldar. they are my first 40k army, and I've bought a box of dire avengers and guardians.

I know a majority of the rules for the game and plan on buying my own rulebook (currently using my friends rule book)

now that I'm getting some actual income, I'm wondering what I should get next. I'm thinking an Autarch to lead the army and one of the aspect warrior packs. any suggestions?
stickybottle22
Squire

Re: New Eldar player

Postby cereal_theif » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:14 pm

More Dire avengers.
Wave serpent
Autarch or farseer.

to be honest buy what you like the look of as eldar can rock in all areas but suffer from old codex fever.
So you can get good if your practise and think but its all about your style.

I was very much counter attacks so I had falcons full of fire dragons, shining spears, autarch on bike, dire avengers with the occasional wave serpent up until this year.
Now I play necrons and again Im doing it my way...
cereal_theif
Warrior

Postby Eldarion Telcontar » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:21 am

I'd say, get Autarch AND Farseer. They both have very low base costs so it should be easy to fit two in a force. Farseers are some of the best Psykers in the game, though they do do suffer from Codex creep (lack of that is) as does the rest of the Eldar book.

Dark Reapers are nasty against Space Marines due to their ability to negate 3+ Power Armour.
Eldar Rangers are the best snipers in the game and get even better if upgraded to Pathfinders (2+ cover saves, rending on 5s AND 6s. HIGH Ballistic Skill).
Howling Banshees are fast thanks to fleet and hit hard because they ALL have power weapons (and they have so many attacks that their weak strength of 3 usually isn't a problem).

It depends on your regular opponents really. If Space Marines, then Dark Reapers, Pathfinders, Howling Banshees and a Farseer with Doom and Guide to give you rerolls works well.
Eldarion Telcontar
Standard Bearer

Postby stickybottle22 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:01 am

in regards to my regular players I play against imperial guard and tau. the tau player has lots... and lots... of crisis suits...
and a few rail guns. as far as I know only fire dragons are any good against those sort of things
stickybottle22
Squire

Postby Chris Guard of Mardat » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:11 pm

I would suggest taking a Farseer, at least 2 Squads of Dire Avengers, 0-1 Guardians, 1-2 Elites, 1-2 Heavy Support.
I've used something like this to good effect:

HQ:
Farseer, Guide, Doom, Runes of Warding, Spirit Stones - 130
He will join the large Dire Avenger, Guiding them and Dooming whoever the Howling Banshees are in combat with, or the Dire Avengers.
Elites:
6 Striking Scorpions, Exarch, Biting Blade, Stalker, Shadowstrike - 138
These guys will infiltrate or outflank, as you see fit - good for anti horde/weaker armoured vehicles.
6 Howling Banshees, Exarch, Executioner, War Shout, Acrobatic - 128
These are your main anti-marine unit. Doom the enemy they're fighting, as this will help rack up the kills meaning less will be killed in return.
Troops:
5 Dire Avengers - 60
This unit will sit on your home objective - could be replaced with Guardians, to provide anti-tank.
5 Dire Avengers - 60
This unit can be used to delay enemy units, pick off smaller units, or help another squad.
10 Dire Avengers, Exarch, Power Weapon, Shimmershield, Defend, Bladestorm - 177
These will be used in support of the Banshees, shooting at a different target before charging them.
Heavy Support:
1 War Walker, Eldar Missile Launcher, Bright Lance, Spirit Stones - 85
This unit will either outflank, to shoot Tank's rear armour, or move into terrain.

This puts you at 778 Points, leaving you room for a Wave Serpent or two, or some more anti-tank

Hope this helps.
Chris Guard of Mardat
Standard Bearer

Postby n00bn » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:20 pm

The Tau will never be a good matchup for you as they can outrange you and your units are too frail to wither the amount of fire they bring. But to answer your question, get a Wave Serpent and a HQ next. I would suggest a farseer with either doom, fortune and runes of warding.
n00bn
Villager

Return to Other Wargames