The desolation of smaug Miniatures

For general discussions on the Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game and its expansions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Re: The desolation of smaug Miniatures

Postby Morgoths_crown » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:15 am

used to be a time when we would start to see a few sneaky peeks around this time of year....
Til biþ se þe his treowe gehealdeþ, ne sceal næfre his torn to rycene,beorn of his breostum acyþan,nemþe he ær þa bote cunne,eorl mid elne gefremman.
Morgoths_crown
Squire

Postby Sithious » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:24 pm

Well looking forward with more optimism. GW does need to have releases for the third film. So I think elves in leather to compliment Legolas and Tariel are more appropriate. I think the single shot of armoured elves looks cool, but I don't expect that to mean we will get figures of them (there were armoured elves on foot in rivendell that we didn't get). We know new iron hill dwarves will come with the third film too. I expect a few more Bilbo models. Bard, but the laketown guys look alot like the guys we already have models for so that is a big maybe at best.
Alot of what GW does will be influenced by how much money they made from the first films models. Based on how people were talking and how many painted pictures of hobbit models are about, I would say it did not sell very well, but the rulebook did. Can't blame players if they don't like the prices or the models.
I would like armoured Orcs, better wood elves (never bought those plastic ones that were awful), spiders, and Bard and smaug. Can live with just that.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/
Sithious
Standard Bearer

Postby Coën » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:02 pm

I'm sure GW have their obligations to produce a set number of figures for each film.

As for possible releases, the third movie could still have plastic figures in the form of Iron Hills dwarves (mounted on boars and possibly infantry), perhaps bats (depending on the fact if they will be big bats or big swarms, and how prominent they'll be), maybe unarmoured or armoured Mirkwood infantry (the other one produced for the 2nd movie - whatever will be shown more, or even both already), as well as plenty of non-plastic (alternative) hero models (Thorin's company in full armour, Dain ft/mtd, another Gandalf and two more Bilbos, quite possible more Mirkwood Elven heroes etc).

For the next movie, there's also the possibility of that ballista, alternative White Council (action poses), whatever they may encounter in Dol Guldur...
Coën
Standard Bearer

Postby mr. dude » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:21 pm

I don't even know how they would pull off a Smaug model, in the trailers he looks big enough to eat a Mumak for a light breakfast (just to hold himself for a few hours if he has a long day ahead of him). If I were GW, I'd just provide a costume and have players dress up as Smaug and get on the table.

With regards to models I'm hoping for/expecting, I like the look of Dale, as long as it's got a unique set of rules to separate it from the other mannish armies (without being too points effective or whatever GW's tactic is for selling new models).
Of course, Beorn and his legions of farm animals would be nice, a new Thranduil, and I'd like some spiders (although I'd go for something a bit smaller than the way they look in the trailer, they look about the same size as my babygurl Shelob, can't have that).
mr. dude
Squire

Postby Legion » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:59 pm

GW will scale down Smaug like they did the Mumak. Anyone who has watched the movies can clearly tell that the Mumakil were big enough to fit a tribe of men on top of them. But the figure can only reasonably fit 13. I expect the same scaling for Smaug. The only worry I have about a smaug model is how powerful he might be. Im expecting some 500 point model with 10s across his stat line. That would not be fun at all. I prize lotr for its balance compared to other games. I would hate to see a broken model.
Legion
Squire

Postby Coën » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:14 pm

Or just compare the height of the Mûmak's legs to those of the model - quite a difference indeed.

As for Smaug, remember that he can be killed with just a single arrow! Besides, the Mûmakil, Sauron and Balrog are all powerfull, but never overpowered in any way - despite their obvious strengths, they have downsides (mostly their price) as well. I expect something just like the 'ordinary' dragon, automatically with a high defence (possibly with the weak spot as special rule - or Bard gets something to have a higher chance of wounding him (multiple times)), obviously able to fly and breath fire, perhaps some minor magic (power of the voice) and maybe without that rule that makes it flee (which nicely balances the fact that it may have that weak spot).
Coën
Standard Bearer

Postby Sithious » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:11 pm

I thought the mumak was pretty close to the correct scale, seeing legolas climb up him very quick. And the howdah would hold more guys if they were not on 1" bases.
Smaug doesn't look more than half again the size of the dragon we have now. We have shots of feet crushing dwarves and a bit of scale of bilbo with the dragon, not much to call a definate size on him.
Sithious
Standard Bearer

Postby GrashnarTheSecond » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:56 am

Sithious wrote:I thought the mumak was pretty close to the correct scale, seeing legolas climb up him very quick. And the howdah would hold more guys if they were not on 1" bases.
Smaug doesn't look more than half again the size of the dragon we have now. We have shots of feet crushing dwarves and a bit of scale of bilbo with the dragon, not much to call a definate size on him.

No, the Mumâkil are too small. Simply compare them to Riders of Rohan. ;)
Armies:
Kingdoms of Men(Minas Tirith, Fiefdoms, Arnor), The Free Peoples(Durin's Folk, The Fellowship, The Wanderers in the Wild, The White Council), Mordor, The Fallen Realms(Isengard, Harad and Umbar, The Eastern Kingdoms), Moria & Angmar
GrashnarTheSecond
Standard Bearer

Postby Elentir » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:23 pm

To get to-scale mumaks, you'd have to have them mounted on foot-long bases :P
Elentir
Warrior

Postby Sithious » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:19 pm

http://youtu.be/Nsmk5z6sUzw
Although the model may be slightly smaller, this clip doesn't make the mumak look like it is double the size or big enough to hold a tribe on it. IF Legolas = 1" model, the mumak is big, but I would not make his foot as large as a cavalry model, it just isn't so, even when they show the mumak step on a rider is it only the rider and the front of the the horse that is crushed (but the whole thing goes down so it can appear like the foot is as large as the whole thing). Also the low angle shots make them look more towering as was part of how PJ shot that battle, to show how it looked from the terrified riders trying to fight it.
But as for the Smaug model, I think people are wathcing the trailer with "big eyes" in wonder and excitement. Smaug may be large, but I would not go so far as to say he is as large as people are making him out to be in quick shots with a hobbit using perspective angles as is done in alot of LOTR/Hobbit (which makes it tough to copare sizes and easy to shoot people to be taller or smaller looking).
it is very tricky to get a acurate size guage of the mumak, I think the model needs longer legs by a tad bit.
This one looks good,
Sithious
Standard Bearer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions