The desolation of smaug Miniatures

For general discussions on the Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game and its expansions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Squire

Re: The desolation of smaug Miniatures

Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:03 pm

- RIP Fimbul and Narzug -

Squire

Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:05 pm

Olórin wrote:
How big of a Smaug would people be up for? How expensive of a Smaug?

Approximately this big :D

Still too small!The head needs to be as big as the knight!That dragons not kill enough.
IZ A ORK.DAT MEANS IZ STOMPIER KILLIER AND BETTER DEN YOU RUNTZ.WAAAAAAAAA......................GGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Villager

Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:31 pm

Its a cycle. Every movie comes out with the starter set of the *FIRST MAJOR BATTLE* that lays ground for the rest of the movie.....also, the first of the trilogy has the heros. In TFOTR they had the battle the first battle between the Fellowship and the goblins, and Ambush at Amon Hen was the second battle they made another set for so you could buy more models of the heros.
The second movie they had gotten away from a set with heros and made it the generic rohirrim vs Uruk Hai. NOTE-they did the battle where merry and pippin escaped not the siege of helms deep.....thats why there arent heros. They did the general rohirrim because if they did helms deep it would have been the on foot models with heros.

For the third did they do the siege? No, they did the generic orcs vs men in Osgiliath. Even if they dont title them as such thats what they do.
This is all opinion but when you think about it they do the heros(to get everyone into it and to have a set) then the other movies come out with the models for a starter everyone will buy and make a more interesting/epic battle separate so you have to buy more.

Fellowship of the Ring-gave you heros and goblins but,.....WHAT YOU REMEMBER- Ambush at Amon Hen. You have to buy the second set even though you get more heros because thats the more memorable battle for you to purachse and RE Purchase their models.
Two Towers-gave you generic rohirrim and the battle we remember....Helps Deep. You then go out and buy the heros of helms deep, the siege troops, the on foot men of rohan, and etc etc.
The Return of the King....you get the battle of Osgiliath.The battle you remember is the Siege of the city of Gondor....you want to buy Harad, Gothmog, the different posed fellowship and tower guard etc.

Then we move to the Hobbit....you get Escape from Goblin town....first off Ill say, as much as I hate Games Workshop for the price gouging at these times of economic plight in the country, they did a great job with this starter. Yes the rule book didnt give point values but hey, they gave a rule book. They gave some terrain. They gave you Thorins company(you literally dont need to buy the heros ever again for this trilogy if you want) and they gave you enemy forces, captain/heros, an interesting siege type weapon, and the Goblin king. Best starter for the price to me......BUT.....

What you didnt get- Im sure many of us would have preferred a box with Thorins company, vs 8 or 10 warg riders and Azog mounted and on foot. It was the final battle but again, not the first big encounter which they seem to go after.

I dont know what this movie holds.....but what Im assuming is that we'll get a box of AMAZING wood elves vs orcs of some sort in the forest with some ruins for a terrain piece OR maybe something cooler. Who knows what the final big battle in the movie will be.

They wont give smaug. They dont give a free show piece away when they could make you buy it like the Balrog, Mumak, and Ents.

They give you the stuff they know youre going to buy anyway for several reason.
A-the starter set will be purchased by most GW players anyway regardless of pieces
B-you cant build a realy army from the starter alone--you make a goblin army, a gondor, rohan, uruk army etc.....you need to buy a set besides the starter. Plain and simple, and they know it.
C-If they include the big fancy pieces in the starter ie. Azog for the Hobbit, Aragorn for The ROTK, Theoden, Eomer etc for the TT.....then they cant sell them seperate for 15-40 a piece. Meanwhile, they gave you Thorins company because they made more models of them from a separate era and people found those so different they still bought them, going back to my earlier point.
---------------------------------------------------
a lot of typing, but I think Ill be proven correct when the set comes out.

For this next set Ill say, if I get spiders in the starter I may not buy it. Ill be angry. I didnt buy into lotr and the hobbit for spiders. I bought into it for epic battles of elves men orcs and dwarves.
I hope they have armored elves if they do in fact have elves, and hopefully some awesome evil figures because the old uruk hai and orcs got boring fast. The hunter orcs were nice models but Ive yet to buy them because of price and they are weak anyway.

As for the rest of the movie I dont know enough about it or the books to guess other models, but im hoping for a lot less figures like the trolls, eagles, and the 800th bilbo/frodo/gollum package! and Im hoping for more boxes of armies like the Grim Hammers etc. I liked their model, and stats. I hate the men of dale and the hunter orcs looked cool but werent worth it.
Im honestly looking forward to the starter more than anything because its the only worth its value. I bought the starter and the grim hammers from the hobbit, and I regret the hammers a bit. Too much money.

More importantly, I think the Battle of the Five armies will have an excellent set if they choose to work it right. Considering their monetary loss who knows.....

I know I typed a book but ive been lurking on this site for about 4+ months and finally joined so this was my first post lol

Squire

Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:09 am

Actually in fellowship you got moria goblins vs elves and numenorians(or it was just numenorians without elves)
IZ A ORK.DAT MEANS IZ STOMPIER KILLIER AND BETTER DEN YOU RUNTZ.WAAAAAAAAA......................GGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Standard Bearer

Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:23 am

Well, If the list holds true you won't have to worry about a starter set worth it's value. Since you only bought the starter and didn't feel the one box of warriors you bought was worth the price you may be upset as the warrior sets went up in price, most likely because they are elves and will sell more regardless. I think all of the warrior sets (Hunter orcs on fell wargs, fell wargs, hunter orcs, Grim Hammers, Erebor and the Dale) were all sets worth buying multiples of and this next film even with the hike is most likely no different. EFGT was a great set.
It was hard following your post about previous sets as FOTR has elves/numenor vrs Moria Goblins and no heroes in it. So MOM and EFGT were the first starter sets with heroes presented. The other boxed sets you mention I consider collectors sets, and those they kept up with through all the films, Ambush Amon hen, Weathertop, excape from orthanc, Warg Attack, Faramir ambush, Three Hunters, Heroes of the West,
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Villager

Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:33 am

Yes true you did but that was a special case. There were a lot more releases for that and I was going along with the theme I was discussing, although you are right. But either way for this movie its probably not going to have a box taken from a battle like that. I still to this day wonder why we got goblins not orcs in that box set....they were clearly orcs in the movie did anyone read the book and see they were in fact goblins?

Villager

Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:45 am

Sithious wrote:Well, If the list holds true you won't have to worry about a starter set worth it's value. Since you only bought the starter and didn't feel the one box of warriors you bought was worth the price you may be upset as the warrior sets went up in price, most likely because they are elves and will sell more regardless. I think all of the warrior sets (Hunter orcs on fell wargs, fell wargs, hunter orcs, Grim Hammers, Erebor and the Dale) were all sets worth buying multiples of and this next film even with the hike is most likely no different. EFGT was a great set.
It was hard following your post about previous sets as FOTR has elves/numenor vrs Moria Goblins and no heroes in it. So MOM and EFGT were the first starter sets with heroes presented. The other boxed sets you mention I consider collectors sets, and those they kept up with through all the films, Ambush Amon hen, Weathertop, excape from orthanc, Warg Attack, Faramir ambush, Three Hunters, Heroes of the West,

I understand what youre saying. In total, I just mean to say I see the starter being plain soldiers not heros and probably being a set from an early battle in the movie thats a large one. Barrel scene or not Im not sure.

As for you feeling those sets are worth it....well, I cant disagree because it is for you. But I know a lot of people who game with this company dont have great jobs to spend a lot of money. Army minimums are not one boxed set or even two really. We used to be able to get like 20 guys for 35 dollars or a box of heros for a decent sum and now we pay 35 dollars for 12 pieces? Its insane. You need over a 100 dollars for an army not counting captains and heros.

The models look better but are they worth the price to me? Not a chance. Id rather buy old armies at cheaper rates to beat the new prettier models. Its more now if you want variety and have the money to spend than actually be an active member of the gaming community.

I used to buy tons of LOTR sets most sets of basic soldiers from all cities but now you need a minimum of 3 boxes just to field an army of basic troops or at least two when you used to be able to do it with one and other models.

Standard Bearer

Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:31 am

I am not a wealthy man trust me (child support, student loan, personal loan, Car loan, Insurance, Rent, Gas, Food, utilities), my $20-30 per week adds up ($350 or so in 3 months plus that one 5th weeks extra from the bill budget makes for $500 every 3 months I can spend on models or whatever I am saving up for. But the designs of the sets are very worth buying them, obviously in my opinion. But if someone didn't find the value in it then I expect the new prices will not help is all I meant.
The Rivendell Knights set was not worth it though, I bought another box of galadhrim Knights and only one of the Rivendell to make a point (as they were priced so differently), I think my rohan box converted using the metal High Elves was cheaper to make back in the TTT days than to buy that one set of plastics.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Squire

Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:04 am

Boromirs_A_MAN_Suck_It wrote:Yes true you did but that was a special case. There were a lot more releases for that and I was going along with the theme I was discussing, although you are right. But either way for this movie its probably not going to have a box taken from a battle like that. I still to this day wonder why we got goblins not orcs in that box set....they were clearly orcs in the movie did anyone read the book and see they were in fact goblins?

Er, hate to break it to you, but in Tolkien goblins=orcs. Same word, different languages. (You'll note the Hobbits tend to refer to Orcs as "goblins" while the other members of the fellowship say "orcs") The differentiation is a fantasy gaming tradition established by Gary Gygax in Dungeons & Dragons, and adopted by (amongst others) D&D''s first UK licensee, Games Workshop. So when GW ran off with every piece of IP not nailed down, goblins and orcs were two separate entities in the Warhammer universe, just as they were in the D&D universe and every other damn game ever since.The goblin/orc split entered gamer lore as an essential fact, and there it remains.

When they were merchanding LOTR in the English speaking world, the Moria creatures were called "goblins" and Morder creatures were called "orcs" (even though the rulebook fluff identifies goblins as a "type" of orc). Meanwhile, in (for example) Germany, the Moria creatures and the Mordor creatures were called "Orks" - correctly.

This weird split was further underlined by the most recent film giving an entirely new and unwelcome look to the "goblins" of "goblin town" (not to mention a whole new set of "looks" for the "hunter" orcs).

But despite all that, canonically, goblins and orcs...same thing.
Formerly "araquael"

Warrior

Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:15 pm

£25 for a 12 man box!
Lust,Gulttony,Greed,Sloth,Wrath,Envy,Pride.

PreviousNext
Return to General Discussions