What keeps you in the game?

For general discussions on the Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game and its expansions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Squire

What keeps you in the game?

Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:12 pm

Hi,
I was woundring what keeps you in the hobby. The reason I asked this is because of all the bad support we get.
For me it is my friends and when I get the shiny minis.
Check out my scenic base thread- viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7305&start=10

Warrior

Re: What keeps you in the game?

Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:39 pm

I think it is a good skirmish tabletop game with simple rules, plenty of cool models and of course based on Tolkien. Whatever you say about GW and their prices, the core game is really well-made.

Villager

Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:50 pm

It's fun. :D

Warrior

Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:51 pm

Five words. The Lord of The Rings.
Lust,Gulttony,Greed,Sloth,Wrath,Envy,Pride.

Standard Bearer

Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:13 pm

Love of Tolkien's writings, a backlog of reasonable proportions (i.e. not influenced by high prices) and knowledge of the many possibilities beyond GW's figure range.
Doesn't mean I don't think it's a shame that the game doesn't get much support, the model range is disappearing at a faster rate than that new models are added and the entire system will, as far as GW is concerned, be left for dead in a couple of years time (for a large part because of their own mindset, and to a much lesser extent the game itself), but that's something I've gotten used to over the past couple of years.

Standard Bearer

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:39 pm

I feel a sense of a pride when I overlook my entire collection of miniatures and terrain. Plus I love the game and when I do things hobby related it kind of gives me an escape from other activities....

Squire

Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:59 am

I always drift in and out of the hobby, I don't get to play much and it's not easy to juggle so many things at once, but ultimately I always come back and find that my passion for it hasn't faded one bit. Why? Because there's just such a joy in seeing your own army on a table, knowing that you are about to play a game using a combination that you decided to use, and that you can shape it. Reacting to a clever opponent is amazing, anticipating that opponent's moves, nothing beats a good game.
Then there's the rest of the hobby. I'll admit, I don't really have the patience to sit at a table and paint all night, I've done it before, and I have no idea how. Still, it's a great feeling to look at your models and realize that you've done a good job with them. Converting, despite all the times that I've done it, I'm still not very good at, but again, the feeling of having that eye-catching centrepiece is very nice.
As for terrain, I find it peaceful. The level of detail that goes into it is tremendous, and I just get in a mindset where I'm happily willing to let go and work on making full mugs for a Hobbit dining table, that zone I get in is one of the best times for me to just think.

Basically, I'm still around because I love the game and everything it does for me.

Squire

Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:44 am

I love that once you are fully equipped with models rules etc you are able to supply a full days entertainment at no cost, other than your food requirements, and you can never 'finish' this game like you would do with a computer game - there are so many aspects of the game you can explore with different scenarios and objectives. If it were not for the LOTR SBG I would have given up on GW products along time ago but my love for the world of Tolkien will keep me going on and on.
'You know, po-ta-toes.. boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew'

Villager

Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:53 am

Playing GW games is my main hobby and has been for the last few years. I don't get to play as much LOTR/Hobbit as I'd maybe like to but I usually manage at least a couple of games of WFB or 40k each week and get plenty of LOTR in the run up to tournaments. It's a combination of an enjoyment of the game(s) and the social side that keeps me playing. Whether that's playing games at my local store or club or the social interaction at tournament weekends or even forums. For LOTR particularly it is my favourite of the games and that's why I keep playing it. Having the chance this year to attend a couple of tournaments outside of just the usual Warhammer World ones(which are also great fun) has been an excellent experience and one that I hope to repeat next year. Being part of the Hobbit League has been great and it's nice to see people coming together to try and help continue to support the game.

Warrior

Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:43 pm

I love the epicness of such a tale and how well it is transferred into the mins. I also love the hobbying :)
What we need is a few good 'taters.
What's 'taters, precious? What's 'taters, eh?
Po-tay-toes! Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew!

Backlog Reduction Oath Participant
backlog comlete: 2/80

Next
Return to General Discussions