What keeps you in the game?

For general discussions on the Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game and its expansions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Squire

Re: What keeps you in the game?

Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:54 pm

I remberd something:
Being part of middle earth. I like to think I'm really fighting in goblin town ect..
Check out my scenic base thread- viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7305&start=10

Villager

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:47 pm

I'm actually just starting, so I guess I can't relate quite as well to a thread about why people keep playing, but I can say why I started.

Miniatures - Although it doesn't get a huge amount of support, the new minis that are being released (and many of the old ones) are great.

Skirmish Gameplay - It's fun an a nice change of pace from Warhammer Fantasy.

Cheaper - Sure, the models are still pretty expensive, but at the end of the day this is a cheaper game to fund than 40k or Fantasy.

Lord of the Rings - The background of the game, obviously, is amazing and it's a lot easier to convince friends to play a game based on TLOTR than it is some random sci-fi/fantasy game based on a brand they've never heard of.

Villager

Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:26 pm

I have been a Tolkien fan for more than 30yrs. To play a simple game with excellent looking models that resemble an outstanding movie adaptation. We'll more can I say. :D

My only disappointment is that my friend lost interest once GW put up prices then began to "hate" the mention of SBG when GW change the name. :(

Would love to find someone from Cheltenham to play as I still haven't got used to the new / updated rules.
Some people HOPE for things to happen
Some people WISH for things to happen
Successful people MAKE things happen

Squire

Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:14 pm

The lack of riptides,strength D and 40k players.(seriously.Go on dakka some of those guys...)
IZ A ORK.DAT MEANS IZ STOMPIER KILLIER AND BETTER DEN YOU RUNTZ.WAAAAAAAAA......................GGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Villager

Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:02 am

Well, Ive always loved the miniatures. Any type and I love historical as well....but this is a good mix of realistic fighting and fun fantasy stuff.

These minis are mostly cool looking, and to be honest, its the only company making LOTR minis. I just cant get into other fantasy stuff much.

Painting is fun, but these days I cant seem to concentrate. I dont know if it was my job, my age, or just my attention span at this point. I find it more fun to build things around the figures than paint. I like changing them to make different poses and stuff too. I like the Lords of the Rings. Simply. I always found a good portion of this community of people are good people too. Every crowd has a few bad apples but people here are generally in it for the passion of the game, and even if our personalities dont match, we are bonded by the same thing.

I grew up playing Mage Knight when it came out and eventually moved on to this. I find the communities are similar. Its always fun. If you lose, its still fun. I cant get very mad. Its calming when the only thing in my mind is concentrating on the task at hand with the figures.

Previous
Return to General Discussions