DOS line discussion.

For general discussions on the Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game and its expansions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Re: DOS line discussion.

Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:54 am

Madril wrote:I think Tauriel might be a little cheap points wise, especially when you compare her to the other Mirkwood captains. I mean for 15 extra points you get; -Higher Defense
-an extra attack
-an extra point of might
-extra point of will
- two extra fate points
- a better version of the special rule which means she can potentially go up to 10
attacks, rather than be capped like the captains

So all in all, not too bad of an upgrade. Then again I might just be nitpicking. Legolas is equally awesome when you compare him to the captains.

Yeah from what I saw she had a good profile. I know were not supposed to say the points values but the nearest GW is like an hour away. Can we say a range like somewhere between 70 and 90 or something?
Her profile is nice though.

Tourin wrote:IMHO the palace guard are a bit over priced when compared with other elven warriors (high elf has same profile) but 3 extra points for bodyguard (not that useful for brave elf warriors) and a extra bonus to fight within a small radius if a certain model is present? Maybe its due to reduce numbers in a heavily bow armed Thranduil's Hall list??
The palace guard captain on the other hand is cheaper then other elven captains with similar wargear plus you get some extra rules. Maybe its more of a reason to make us use them instead of named heroes. :?:

They are over priced. And the sad part is, in the movie, all they did was eat ****.

I expected them to be elite lol.

Standard Bearer

Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:05 am

They are over priced. And the sad part is, in the movie, all they did was eat ****.

I expected them to be elite lol.

Maybe we'll see them in better action in the third film in the Battle of the Five Armies.

Villager

Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:24 am

Hopefully because they look cool

Villager

Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:30 pm

Only unit I'm not liking is the Palace Guard and it seems most agree. Alfred seems to be the best, or at least I think so. So cheap, such a nice special rule and can field units.

I really don't understand why they released Beorn as a man separately, if you don't even pay any extra points for his bear transformation. I'd have bought him instantly, but am putting off picking up the man form for now, cause he's just nerfed.

Squire

Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:46 pm

Yeah the palace guard seem weird, both rules wise and their.... unique performance in the film. Maybe it's representing the degeneracy of the Mirkwood elves?

Warrior

Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:08 pm

Do we know what to expect in January yet? I know pics of the new Tyranids hit the net some time ago but I've not heard anything about any hobbit models yet. I was kind of hoping we might see Gundabad orcs in line with the Grimhammer release early this year.
Spiney Norman, Former Standard Bearer of the Last Alliance

For the time will soon come when Hobbits will shape the fortunes of all.

Warrior

Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:07 pm

Grimhammers where feb. I think , since there's not much to be released, that they'll try and stretch things out as much as possible.
Lust,Gulttony,Greed,Sloth,Wrath,Envy,Pride.

Warrior

Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:32 pm

Yes, you're right, it was eagles and fell wargs released in Jan, Grimhammers in feb and Erebor dwarfs & Warriors of Dale in March. Still I would expect them to follow up with something in Jan, even if there does seem to be a lot less content in the DoS compared to the AUJ.

Standard Bearer

Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:00 am

So, some thoughts:

Right now, we're missing Beorn in Bear form, Bard, Girion, The Master, Alfred, the Captain and Warriors of Laketown and the Gundabad Orcs and possibly their captains, depending on whether or not they actually get those. That's 2 plastic boxes and 7-8 blisters. We're also likely to get additional models not yet shown in the sourcebook, such as "new" Bolg (who might or might not be FAQ'd to get a bow), a new mounted Legolas, etc.

I'm pretty sure the Laketown houses on page 59 of the book are a plastic kit. They don't seem scratch-built, and GW doesn't seem to do scratch-built buildings anymore anyway.

Still, some models are suspiciously absent- the titular Smaug, for example.

Now, "There and Back Again" was originally planned for the summer of 2014, specifically, July 18. However, it has since been pushed back to December 17th. This announcement has without a doubt shaken up some of the release schedule. In addition, the third film doesn't seem to be introducing a lot of new characters. We might get some new High Elves, depending on if Elrond decides to bring his soldiers to Dol Guldur, but apart from that the only thing "missing" for the third film is Dain Ironfoot and his Dwarves. We might get some additional Council members in film 3 and perhaps some Giant Bats. Other models we might get (and I do say MIGHT) are a Dwarven Wind Lance, Thranduil on his stag -though he doesn't have the option, Bard's children -or at least his son- and Percy.

What I'm trying to say is that we might be getting so few models because the intent was to release the next wave by the summer, and that they need to stretch the releases between the two films because otherwise there just wouldn't be enough stuff to be released for film 3.
Armies:
Kingdoms of Men(Minas Tirith, Fiefdoms, Arnor), The Free Peoples(Durin's Folk, The Fellowship, The Wanderers in the Wild, The White Council), Mordor, The Fallen Realms(Isengard, Harad and Umbar, The Eastern Kingdoms), Moria & Angmar

Warrior

Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:03 pm

I guess so, I can't early understand the logic of waiting for the next film to release Smaug (unless that is something their licence stipulates) because assuming Jackson sticks roughly to the events in the book Smaug had a much, much greater role in this film than he will in the 3rd one, I can't really see him lasting more than 30 mins into film three because Bard actually only has the one arrow that we know of.

Since we do already have generic dragon rules I don't think its beyond the realms of possibility that we might see Smaug before the 3rd movie sourcebook, I'm kind of hoping we do because I want the model as a wyvern mount for my Warhammer Orc Warboss.

I would really, really like a model for a wind lance (it makes far more sense to suggest that Smaug was killed with a ballista than with a regular bow), I would also like models for Thorin's company in Lake-town armour (esp Bilbo) and I think it is fair to say we will see a few models that are not pictured in the sourcebook, notably new poses for existing characters like the company and possibly Gandalf.
Last edited by Spiney Norman on Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext
Return to General Discussions