How about very old friends?

For general discussions on the Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game and its expansions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

How about very old friends?

Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:34 pm

Hi folks,

Been away for from LotR for 5 years or so. Thought I'd peek in and see how things are going. Looks like a lot has changed, but I am delighted to see some familiar names still here.

Who is on the design team these days? How do things compare to the days before GW dissolved the Ringwraiths? Trying to work out whether to go drop the $200+ it looks like it would take to give the new 'Hobbit' rules a try.

Oh, and what's all this 'finecast' business I see...I know GW metal was ridiculously expensive in the past, but do I understand correctly that it's no longer metal and now even more expensive? Is there a plus side?

Villager

Re: How about very old friends?

Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:39 pm

Oh...and what happened to the old TLA article base? Please tell me it's not lost. :(

Site Admin

Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:24 pm

Hi AbbCampbell, welcome back.
The Hobbit rules are similar to the old LOTR ones, with some interesting new innovations and additions (mainly improvements to Monsters' performance). If you're looking for a less expensive re-entry, you could always try ebay for kits or the small version of the new rule book - and all your old LOTR models will still work and be relevant.

It's well worth the effort!

Villager

Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:37 pm

Cheers Matt!

This small rulebook you speak of...is it the one in the Goblin Town set? If so, how complete is it vis a vis the huge tome of death? I've been considering picking up that set on the strength of the figures anyway, as even if I didn't like the game, I could use the new figs with the old game.

...I found the .pdf with character rules (and Adam Troke credited as author! I thought he had left GW, so I'm glad to see him back!).

Ranger

Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:53 pm

Villager

Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:07 pm

Cheers Typhoon!

So, if I'm the first player in the group to get into it, can we get along with only the contents of the Goblin Town box and the Heroes and Villains .pdf? (I also have all of the old SBG publications from 2000 - up to but not including War of the Ring.

Villager

Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:39 pm

Honestly yes, you can buy the starter and play but unless you equalize the points, the good guys are going to kick their ass every time. You'll have to create a scenario thats like unending goblins or something.

The new rules are ok, no biggy. The monster rules and some hero moves are nice.

You can use all your old models normally so dont worry.

And yeah you can get miniatures including the Goblin town set on ebay for a good price. Not so many new models on there but huge deals on old ones. I was sad to see I missed a buy it now auction of an ent, 12 galadhrim warriors and 5 galadhrim knights on there yesterday for $30 with shipping! That was a rare case but still good sales.

The games fun, and the new models look great. But, yes.....you get a lot less for your buck and everything is finecast or just plastic now. With giant price increases.

Do what I did...get the starter from somewhere, and get old models from where you see fit, or use what you had.

Warrior

Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:42 pm

Abbcampbell, welcome home

Nice to here from one of the old crew again after all this time

Boromirs_A_MAN_Suck_It wrote:Honestly yes, you can buy the starter and play but unless you equalize the points, the good guys are going to kick their ass every time. You'll have to create a scenario thats like unending goblins or something.

The new rules are ok, no biggy. The monster rules and some hero moves are nice.

You can use all your old models normally so dont worry.

And yeah you can get miniatures including the Goblin town set on ebay for a good price. Not so many new models on there but huge deals on old ones. I was sad to see I missed a buy it now auction of an ent, 12 galadhrim warriors and 5 galadhrim knights on there yesterday for $30 with shipping! That was a rare case but still good sales.

The games fun, and the new models look great. But, yes.....you get a lot less for your buck and everything is finecast or just plastic now. With giant price increases.

Do what I did...get the starter from somewhere, and get old models from where you see fit, or use what you had.

Actually when we played through the goblin town scenarios from the boxed set we found that most of them were hopelessly slanted in the evil side's favour. In Several of them the goblins can just created a two-model wide choke point on the goblin town bridges which makes it almost impossible for the dwarfs to make any headway. Also the great goblin is an absolute beast.

The problem with the new Hobbit range is that it feels like they've pushed the reset button and sent us back to FotR, all the armies feel incomplete and samey because even the most diverse only has two different warrior types. I think all the expansion of the original lotr range has spoilt us (well me) for this kind of game. Of course you can create alliances between the older lotr army lists and the new hobbit ones, but it just doesn't feel right to have Thorin and his Grimhammers marching alongside Eomer and his Rohirrim.

In my sense we just need to wait until the third movie is done and dusted and give them a chance to rejig all the lists into something more logical, I would very much like to be able to take the mounted twins or Glorfindel on Asfaloth leading a warband of Rivendell knights, but because they are still maintaining a strict separation between the lotr and hobbit lists that is still technically illegal
Spiney Norman, Former Standard Bearer of the Last Alliance

For the time will soon come when Hobbits will shape the fortunes of all.

Villager

Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:04 pm

Hey Spiney! Good to hear from you! Last I remember, I think you were still at university. How's life?

I always preferred the "Scenario" play to pitched battles in this game anyway, and dearly love tinkering with/rolling my own scenarios, so I don't think I'll be too bothered if the balance needs work...just so long as the basic rules and stats work out well.

Mixing Hobbit with LotR where it makes sense (your example sounds perfect) won't bother me in the least. GW seem to have abandoned Atlanta, so no need to worry on that account. Local GW store closed, no more Games Day Atlanta, and with the old GW forums and Ringwraiths dissolved, "official" means very little to me any longer. :D

Standard Bearer

Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:32 pm

Spiney Norman wrote:In my sense we just need to wait until the third movie is done and dusted and give them a chance to rejig all the lists into something more logical, I would very much like to be able to take the mounted twins or Glorfindel on Asfaloth leading a warband of Rivendell knights, but because they are still maintaining a strict separation between the lotr and hobbit lists that is still technically illegal

It's too bad, they made Elniath rules in White Dwarf with TLA elves converted to ride Rohan Horses, yet now that there are real models that would work for this they can't be used. GW is missing out on a easy tie in to one of the most popular armies of the LoTR:SBG If Rivendell can't use Elniath and TLA can't use Rivendell Knights, where in Middle Earth is GW making their models for? :D
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Next
Return to General Discussions