Smaug vs Balrog

For general discussions on the Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game and its expansions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Smaug vs Balrog

Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:01 pm

Two part topic.

1-How do you think these two stack up against each other? Because the Balrog was a maniac but so is Smaug. Its anyones guess but what is everyones opinions here? Im talking about profiles for the game mostly but if you want discuss the books as well.

2-Im going to probably buy a toy dragon and paint it and base it to be Smaug since A-despite this movie I dont see a model coming out any time soon, and b- it will undoubtedly be $100 or more I dont want to pay.

So I have a picture of what Im thinking of getting. Its not perfect but Ill change it a bit. I think its about 7 inches long 3.5 high. Not the best scale but good enough I guess. Heres a link to one:

http://www.rainbowresource.com/products/021756.jpg

What do you guys think of that one? Ill obviously remove the second set of eyes lol.

Warrior

Re: Smaug vs Balrog

Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:06 pm

Did I miss the official rules profile for Smaug, or are you asking us to write one?
Spiney Norman, Former Standard Bearer of the Last Alliance

For the time will soon come when Hobbits will shape the fortunes of all.

Standard Bearer

Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:02 pm

I have always found the Balrog more scarey simply because it doesn't talk and is the perfect symbol of evil and demonism. However Smaug's ability to reason (despite his arrogant nature) makes him seem more "down to earth" (in the most dragon of sense) and a bit less of a wild card than the Balrog.

Squire

Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:13 pm

Spiney Norman wrote:Did I miss the official rules profile for Smaug, or are you asking us to write one?

No there is no profile for smaug. I think he is just asking who would win in the Tolkien world rather than the GW game.

Squire

Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:12 pm

My money is on the Dragon. If I remember correctly. There were many Balrog's but few, named, Dragons.

Xin

Standard Bearer

Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:04 pm

I have not seen the movie so can only go on books.
1 - Balrog will not suffer any damage from dragon fire.
2 - Gandalf thought defeating the dragon was possible with a small group, but not the case with the balrog and the fellowship.

Aside from these two things, I can think of nothing else that tips the scales. I think the Balrog would flow right up the dragons breath, materialize inside his stomach (or where ever the fire comes from) and kill him from within. But that is only if they had to fight, So much the better if the Balrog climbs aboard and rides the dragon to the gates of Minas Tirith and burns the city down.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Villager

Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:33 pm

Spiney Norman wrote:Did I miss the official rules profile for Smaug, or are you asking us to write one?

No profile, Im just throwing out what everyone thinks the stats would be like, etc etc.

Lord Hyper wrote:I have always found the Balrog more scarey simply because it doesn't talk and is the perfect symbol of evil and demonism. However Smaug's ability to reason (despite his arrogant nature) makes him seem more "down to earth" (in the most dragon of sense) and a bit less of a wild card than the Balrog.

I see what youre saying. Thing is, the Balrog is a lot less mobile, and tends to be in a smaller area, but yeah, is just there to kill.
Smaug on the other hand wants bling like a jerk, but is intelligent.

Xintao wrote:My money is on the Dragon. If I remember correctly. There were many Balrog's but few, named, Dragons.

Xin

Very true. I feel like more magic would take out the Balrog while the dragon needs to be killed by more earthly things. Just my opin.

Sithious wrote:I have not seen the movie so can only go on books.
1 - Balrog will not suffer any damage from dragon fire.
2 - Gandalf thought defeating the dragon was possible with a small group, but not the case with the balrog and the fellowship.

Aside from these two things, I can think of nothing else that tips the scales. I think the Balrog would flow right up the dragons breath, materialize inside his stomach (or where ever the fire comes from) and kill him from within. But that is only if they had to fight, So much the better if the Balrog climbs aboard and rides the dragon to the gates of Minas Tirith and burns the city down.

Yeah I have to say you brought up good points. I like the one about Minis Tirith especially.

Well guys, Im going to make up some goofy dragon rules later for yall to discuss. Hope you take it well lol.

Site Admin

Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:28 am

That's not a bad dragon model, actually.
I'd be more likely to buy the GW one, but I'll see what the price is first.

Villager

Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:32 am

Matt-Shadowlord wrote:That's not a bad dragon model, actually.
I'd be more likely to buy the GW one, but I'll see what the price is first.

If you think about the price increases....think about the Mumak...I assume GW would make a Smaug around his size..... Because look at the Dwarves and Hobbit compared to Smaug...its about the same scale or Smaug is even bigger.

The Mumak went for $100. I assume Smaug would be $150 or more. Maybe $125 if were lucky.

Id personally much rather have like some trolls, or just a bunch of boxed sets of figures.

Its at least gonna be 125 which you can buy 3 boxed sets of figures for. So, I think Ill get that dragon for 13 and make my own paint job, and designs haha. Ill have fun.

Return to General Discussions