Beorn's Special Strike Thoughts ?

For general discussions on the Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game and its expansions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Beorn's Special Strike Thoughts ?

Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:14 pm

Now, being someone that absolutely loved the model of Bear Beorn, I was feeling pretty keen to give him a try. Under a closer look at his Special Strike which at first sounded like a great idea, I now feel like perhaps it isn't the most useful. A boost to Strength is nice, but this only matter on D7+. Then being able to carry on wounding the target is helpful, but how many units are packing 4+ W?

All in all I just feel like making him a Monstrous Mount would be better. Shelob gets it... I supppose there is no way this will change, but just like Gaping Maw for the Cave Drake I feel like this might end up being such a novelty attack.

Standard Bearer

Re: Beorn's Special Strike Thoughts ?

Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:01 pm

Beorn is intended as a monster killer, pure and simple. He won't have much benefit from his special rule when facing man-sized models -unless they are, indeed, D7+. This becomes a whole different matter against models such as Ents, Trolls, Great Eagles, Dragons, Cave Drakes, who tend to be high defense, multi-wound models.
Armies:
Kingdoms of Men(Minas Tirith, Fiefdoms, Arnor), The Free Peoples(Durin's Folk, The Fellowship, The Wanderers in the Wild, The White Council), Mordor, The Fallen Realms(Isengard, Harad and Umbar, The Eastern Kingdoms), Moria & Angmar

Squire

Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:06 pm

GrashnarTheSecond wrote:Beorn is intended as a monster killer, pure and simple. He won't have much benefit from his special rule when facing man-sized models -unless they are, indeed, D7+. This becomes a whole different matter against models such as Ents, Trolls, Great Eagles, Dragons, Cave Drakes, who tend to be high defense, multi-wound models.

I agree here. Honestly I just saw his special strike as a way to deal with all the most powerful of middle earth's monsters and not necessarily regular units or even heroes who have fate to prevent it.

Ranger

Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:46 pm

Yup.

James and I came to the same decision. He's got the FV to beat Trolls and the Special Strike to bring them down.

He is a monster killer with the ability to act as a monster. Though there is a downside to being a Bear as seen in out latest Battle Report (click the link in my sig to go to the channel).

Return to General Discussions