Finecast worries

For general discussions on the Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game and its expansions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Finecast worries

Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:16 am

Greetings!

I'm starting to realize that, with the old metals rapidly disappearing and reaching ridiculous prices on eBay, the time may have come to accept Finecast as an option. I only ever bought two finecast models, and both had some part snap off from the sculpt being too thin and finecast too brittle.

With that in mind I'm looking at what's available in finecast, I look at citadel guard spears, Erkenbrand's raised sword, and various banners being carried, and all I see are parts that are likely to break. Does anyone have any experience with these kinds of finecast models who can enlighten me as to whether or not my fears are justified and these parts do break easily? Are these models worth getting?

Squire

Re: Finecast worries

Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:42 am

Yes the parts break easily, often aren't cast straight (my Men at Arms look like they're armed with pool noodles), have plenty of holes, have much more cleanup required, in the case of the newest models (mirkwood elves) lack the tabs/pegs on feet to help them stand on the base upright. My first Finecast was Amdur, which I promptly snapped a horn off of both foot and mounted models, an easterling war priest, whose shaft I snapped while attempting to straighten it, and my Dwarven Shieldbearer Axe head has snapped off.

On the plus side...

I guess the paint sticks much better to the finecast than to metal models.

I prefer metal when they're available at a remotely reasonable price. But if it's a case of Failcast or nothing, I suppose failcast is worth it.

Squire

Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:17 pm

I got some new ones recently and they were fine. I still think Metal and Plastic are better.
I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone.

Villager

Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:31 pm

I agree with Arwen, the more recent finecast stuff seems to have improved over the initial offerings. I'd still prefer metal, but with OOP metal miniatures now often going for 3-4x as much as current production finecast, its sometimes just not economically feasable to buy metal miniatures, especially for warrior miniatures that you might need 6-12 or more of. :cry:
Mike

Villager

Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:23 am

You're aware that if there is any defect at all, GW will send a new model asap?

Villager

Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:00 pm

I used to be anti resin (finecast) because I was so used to metal for all the years but have now come round to it. Mainly because if the model is knocked or dropped the paint doesn't chip. The finecast process has improved over the years with a lot less defects now.

Villager

Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:47 am

I have Galadhrim infantry and knights and the Knights of Rivendell (any surprise they're all Elf minis?) and I haven't had any problems with quality. I'm grudgingly happy with them. I was annoyed for the longest time because of price but I have to admire the dynamic poses. Happy with mine.
Sorandilun, High Elven Captain of the Last Alliance of Elves and Men

Standard Bearer

Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:34 pm

Sorandilun wrote:I have Galadhrim infantry and knights and the Knights of Rivendell (any surprise they're all Elf minis?) and I haven't had any problems with quality. I'm grudgingly happy with them. I was annoyed for the longest time because of price but I have to admire the dynamic poses. Happy with mine.

Surely, none of those are finecast (resin) figures?

Villager

Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:03 am

Finecast is all new to me, as I am an old-timer and used to metal. My boys recently bought a finecast hero each, the Grimhammer captain and Narzug and I have to say I am not at all impressed. They are too expensive and too weak, Narzug's weapon (not actually sure if it is a bow or some sort of blade) was broken when it arrived in the post and the Grim Hammer captain's throwing-axe haft snapped getting it off the sprue! I would rather spend money on the old metal equivalent's via ebay. I don't know if the resin can be made tougher but I think it would make much more sense for GW to manufacture them in plastic which seems to be a lot more robust.

Squire

Tue May 10, 2016 1:55 pm

I was under the impression that GW had changed the resin they were using, and new models aren't even using the fincast branding anymore.
Its possible LotR/Hobbit miniatures are more fragile due to the smaller scale, and I suppose some could be the old finecast stock.

Return to General Discussions