Warband composition - Rohan

For general discussions on the Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game and its expansions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Warband composition - Rohan

Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:06 am

With our grandson we are working on the army of Rohan.

So far we have a few character models and we need some advice on building our warbands, Usually we have played Gondor v Mordor and used mainly warbands of 12 infantry ans a captain. Each warband being all spears, all hand weapons or all bows. Mounted warbands so far have been 5 or 6 troops with a captain because that is what we had!

Our army of Rohan can field a lot of cavalry which, if we divide it equally gives 3 warbands each of 9 troopers and a captain with the option of having a hero and banner in two of them (Eomer and and Erkenbrand) with Théoden, banner, Eowyn, Gamling as other heroes available. The infantry has three 12 man + 1 captain warbands - one each of throwing spears, hand weapons and bows. We also have 18 warriors left over - 6 or each type.

Is it best to have the foot warbands with similar weapons of to mix the weapons in each. Basically, is there a tactical advantage in having the warriors all the same or mixed weapon types, I am asking as the archers tend to slow a warband if they wish to shoot so mixing them may be a weapon advantage but a mobility liability.

Most of our captains are conversions as are the mounted Théoden, Eowyn and Erkenbrand.

Villager

Re: Warband composition - Rohan

Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:42 am

Don't forget 2 bonuses of keeping all of your archers together:

1) Heroic Shooting

2) Volley Fire

Villager

Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:58 pm

IRH81 wrote:Don't forget 2 bonuses of keeping all of your archers together:

1) Heroic Shooting

2) Volley Fire

Very useful - many thanks.

Squire

Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:16 pm

You might try Rohan Outriders too. They are different because they can be far from the rest of the army and other archers, holding a position you need, and still use the stand fast from any hero.
I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone.

Villager

Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:54 pm

Regrettably, we don't have any outrider figures. Mind you the main difference in the models appears to be the lack of a shield and no throwing spears. So might convert some plastics if I can find them cheaply enough second hand.

Site Admin

Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:01 am

If you don't mind converting them it is definitely worth doing. They're a worthwhile improvement over the standard Rohan archer.

Squire

Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:36 am

They are worth converting too, because I don't think the look of the model is very "outriderish".

Villager

Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:37 pm

Kalle wrote:They are worth converting too, because I don't think the look of the model is very "outriderish".

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "outriderish" but I do see that there is little difference between a "rider" and "outrider". Both are armoured cavalry armed with bows. The outrider is more accurate (3+ to hit) but has no shield or throwing spears wargear. So using some of the archer figures without a shield does not really create a different model.

So I've been looking for alternatives but mst look more at home in a Harad or Easterling army - any other thoughts?
Sarmatian horse archers

Parthians

Assyrian Qurubuti

Turcoman

Seljuk

Pechnegs

Squire

Tue May 10, 2016 1:59 pm

I'd be happy with riders without shields. Of course that doesn't make them stand out much, so I'd likely use a different colour scheme when painting them so they are easier to pick out on the battlefield, which helps both players.

Return to General Discussions