Callum & Grandad's Middle Earth Armies - Rohan

For general discussions on the Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game and its expansions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Callum & Grandad's Middle Earth Armies - Rohan

Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:05 pm

Been doing a lot of painting of figures and fixing up some figures (almost all second hand)

Theoden - we had 2 foot figures and no mounted Theoden and a "proper" mounted Theoden was beyond Grandad's pocket money so Grandad converted one into a mounted figure. The left over bits became an Archer Unit's Captain. The horse got a caparison made fro Kenco coffee tin foil. Erkenbrand is a converted plastic rider and the royal standard bearer is a metal guardsman.

Eomer and his pennant

Eowyn - again we had two on foot so we converted one into a mounted version. Much later I got a broken one piece casting that looks like Eowyn, added an arm from a plastic figure. Not sure the spear armed one is Eowyn.

Eomer's squadron on "pale horses"

Erkenbrand's Red Shields

2 squadrons of Riders

4 warbands of infantry

Various characters and pennant bearers

The left Wing of the army

The Right wing of the army

The Centre

Deeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaatttthhhhhh!!!!

Site Admin

Re: Callum & Grandad's Middle Earth Armies - Rohan

Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:08 pm

Great looking army!
I particularly love the flag. Nice work.

Squire

Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:07 pm

I love to follow the development of Callum&Grandad's armies.

I think it is worth while to paint some of the heroes bit further, just some highlights on central figures. But the most important thing is of course that the army is in paint now for the battlefield!

Villager

Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:07 pm

Kalle wrote:I love to follow the development of Callum&Grandad's armies.

I think it is worth while to paint some of the heroes bit further, just some highlights on central figures. But the most important thing is of course that the army is in paint now for the battlefield!

Thanks for the kind words. We probably will repaint or even replace the main characters later. At the moment, as you say, the armies are painted and in action. The others are nearing completion and the painting skill is also increasing. After all the main painter is 9 years old with a grandad whose eyes are not as good as they were and his hands are not as steady as when he was younger.

We are working through a small mountain of Moria Goblins just now. Grandad is doing quite a few conversions and looking out for a cheap Balrog and other denizens of the Mines.

Still to come some Harad (including a home made Oliphaunt), some dwarfs, some elves and a few reinforcements for other armies.

Villager

Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:09 pm

You may want to take a look at the Dweller in the Dark to use as a Balrog.

My son is 4 months old and I am preparing painted armies already. Hope he'll be interested some day

Villager

Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:18 pm

IRH81 wrote:You may want to take a look at the Dweller in the Dark to use as a Balrog.

My son is 4 months old and I am preparing painted armies already. Hope he'll be interested some day

I like the look of the Dweller in the Dark.

Getting the armies ready now is excellent preparation and planning!

Villager

Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:35 am

Such a good army.
LOTR: 3000pts ANGMAR, 1200 MINAS TIRITH, 2000 DWARFS, 12000 ELVES. I HAVE A PROBLEM... not enough models. :mrgreen:

Return to General Discussions