SBG v1.68 (it's used for army building)

Let's hunt some Orc! For discussion of tactics and army lists for the LotR: Strategy Battle Game.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Standard Bearer

SBG v1.68 (it's used for army building)

Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:27 pm

This is the thread to report any bugs/mistakes in the army building spreadsheet SBG.
If you don't know what the SBG file is, it's an excel spreadsheet that helps with army building that I keep updated and error free to the best of my ability and with the help of the community. You can find it at http://www.lonelyknight.0fees.net/
You can also sugest modifications to the file in this thread. Anytime I update the file I will post here as well.

The old thread for the LOME version (link) is no longer sticky , if you do find any mistake in that version report it here to make sure I see it. Keep in mind that LOME is now outdated so outdated points values and outdated profiles do not count as mistakes.

This pretty much covers it, hope you find the file useful.

EDIT: In case anyone doesn't know what an excel spreadsheet is it's a file type commonly associated with Microsoft Excel (which I use) but can be opened with OpenOffice (which is free).
This is the OpenOffice site: http://www.openoffice.org/

EDIT: On Lone Wolf
These fellows are on a quest to rid the net of the term "Army builder" if it's not done by them (Google a bit for their threats back in 2010). They claim that the term exists solely due to their software even though it's the obvious term to describe someone who has a hobby of building armies or something that helps with army building.
So here are all their emails on the subject and my replies.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6444&p=73068#p73068

Standard Bearer

Re: SBG army builder

Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:22 pm

One problem I find with the new version is that it's problematic to include multiple nameless heroes.
Say I want to build an army using Rangers of the North, I have to assign a different warband number to each, but I can only add up to 4. Obviously, in a Grey Company list, I'm going to want more of them.
This isn't an issue with models you're likely to take less off, but in the case of RotN/Dunédain, I can see this becoming problematic. ;)
Armies:
Kingdoms of Men(Minas Tirith, Fiefdoms, Arnor), The Free Peoples(Durin's Folk, The Fellowship, The Wanderers in the Wild, The White Council), Mordor, The Fallen Realms(Isengard, Harad and Umbar, The Eastern Kingdoms), Moria & Angmar

Standard Bearer

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:40 pm

GrashnarTheSecond wrote:One problem I find with the new version is that it's problematic to include multiple nameless heroes.
Say I want to build an army using Rangers of the North, I have to assign a different warband number to each, but I can only add up to 4. Obviously, in a Grey Company list, I'm going to want more of them.
This isn't an issue with models you're likely to take less off, but in the case of RotN/Dunédain, I can see this becoming problematic. ;)

Not sure what you're referring to, I can simply type "2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11" in the warband column and 10 warbands of 1 Ranger of the North are shown in the armylist.

Standard Bearer

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:27 pm

I didn't notice this! Thanks! :D
Armies:
Kingdoms of Men(Minas Tirith, Fiefdoms, Arnor), The Free Peoples(Durin's Folk, The Fellowship, The Wanderers in the Wild, The White Council), Mordor, The Fallen Realms(Isengard, Harad and Umbar, The Eastern Kingdoms), Moria & Angmar

Standard Bearer

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:35 pm

no one EVER reads the instructions :lol:

Warrior

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:55 pm

LonelyKnight wrote:no one EVER reads the instructions :lol:

I did. :P But then again I like reading instructions, I always have. I find it's better to get the full potential out of something right away, rather than have to fool around and figure it out by trial and error....Though maybe that's why most people don't read manuals, they like figuring things out by themselves.... ;)

And yes, I really like this new way. It took a little while to get used to wrighting which warbands you want the hero's to lead rather than 'x number of this hero', but once you're used to it it's really slick. :D

Standard Bearer

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:20 pm

Yay! Someone read them!
I like instructions but don't usually read them all. Figure out the basics then go for specific parts of the instructions.

I always follow schematics when assembling stuff though

Since you actually read them, clear enough? Or is there some part that needs changing?

Warrior

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:35 pm

Looks pretty good to me. The sentence under allies about using the tabs below to navigate seems out of place, maybe put that under navigating? Also, the word should be nonexistant, not inexistant, under the extras section.
There is no link back to this sheet but you can easily select it directly without links. (in reference to the index page)

I think what you're trying to say is that you can just select the 'index' tab on the bottom to get back to the index page? it's awkwardly worded, maybe something like this:
There is no link back to this page, but you can easily select it by clicking the 'index' tab on the bottom.

I think that's all. :D Thanks for making a such a helpful tool for us all.

Standard Bearer

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:51 pm

The inexistant bit is portuguese creeping in. It's usually the other way round, funny.
Changed to your sentence and added a sentence on the navigating section saying you can use the tabs if you prefer.

Cheers
Won't update since it's fairly minor stuff but someone will spot an error soon enough.

Warrior

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:00 pm

LonelyKnight wrote:The inexistant bit is portuguese creeping in. It's usually the other way round, funny.
Changed to your sentence and added a sentence on the navigating section saying you can use the tabs if you prefer.

Cheers
Won't update since it's fairly minor stuff but someone will spot an error soon enough.

Yeah, well english's only rule is that every single rule has an exception...... :lol:

Next
Return to SBG Army Building & Tactics