moria goblins useless

Let's hunt some Orc! For discussion of tactics and army lists for the LotR: Strategy Battle Game.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Squire

moria goblins useless

Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:27 am

Has anybody noticed how rubbish moria goblins are now?For a point more you get a or ty
IZ A ORK.DAT MEANS IZ STOMPIER KILLIER AND BETTER DEN YOU RUNTZ.WAAAAAAAAA......................GGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Squire

Re: moria goblins useless

Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:40 am

Sorry I meant that for a point you get a faster orc with higher fight.And our jumping rule got a downgrade other goblins have free spears and endless troops.And we have monsters.Most of which cost 50 euro and triple that in points.How can I use my moria goblins in a way that makes them use full?
IZ A ORK.DAT MEANS IZ STOMPIER KILLIER AND BETTER DEN YOU RUNTZ.WAAAAAAAAA......................GGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warrior

Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:17 pm

Short response: Moria are one of the most competitive lists available to an Evil player.

Long response:
Moria, in my mind, is about 3 things: flexibility, numbers, and synergy. Moria have 3 options for their fighting lines:

- Blackshields. Strong, tough, these are a very popular choice for front rank Moria forces.
- Prowlers. Slightly better fighters than normal Goblins, armed with throwing weapons, and with bonuses against trapped models. Take a bit of finesse to get the most out of, but a useful option to have.
- Moria Goblins. The fodder - not great individually, but you get a hell of a lot of them for their points.

Typical Moria armies at tournaments are often composed of a front rank of Prowlers or Blackshields, supported by Moria Goblins with Spears. With the right support, they can be a pretty formidable line to face, since there are often so many of them.

Which brings us on to support. Moria have access to cheap Shamans, able to throw up Fury to keep the fodder alive longer - and combined with Groblog, they'll stick around for longer still. This can make life really difficult for your opponent, especially if you have a few of them to hold your line in place. Fury also counteracts your warriors' innately low Courage, and while your Shamans are alive, Terror and Break Tests will present no problem.

Moria also have access to a wide range of monsters, which got a big boost in the new rules. From lowly (ish) Cave Trolls, right up to Dragons, there are some fantastic options available. Notice I don't list the Balrog there - he isn't such a fantastic option!

Finally, the beasts of the army - wargs, spiders, bats, and their leader, Druzhag. These make for a fantastic fast element for an otherwise slow force, with the ability to counter high strengh and fight value, and even to rip through enemy lines with a beast that is Enraged by Druzhag's spell. A Spider Queen enhanced by Druzhag is once of the most lethal things to face in the game.

And that's before you consider other options, even just within the Moria and Angmar sourcebook. The Shade and the Witch King of Angmar are my favourite allies for my Moria force, and they're some of the most popular in many forces. Again, it's the synergy that comes in - a D6 frontline of Blackshields, spear-supported, with a Shade making it harder for the enemy to win fights, and your Shamans protecting your warriors from damage when they do lose fights. Combined with hard hitters and fast elements from the Beasts and Monsters of the list, and magical support from your Shamans and the Ringwraith.

So, in answer to your original question: no, Moria Goblins are not useless. They just need to be used in the right context, and used well in synergy with the rest of the list. If you want more ideas/advice/inspiration, I recommend checking out the Army Building and Tactics forums on this very site. Just ask away - there are some great Moria players around, happy to offer advice. I've given a very quick treatise here on the Moria list, and I'm sure others have much more to add (and probably contest as well!).
James

Up for a game in Nottingham? Drop me a PM to arrange a battle!

Squire

Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:20 pm

My main problem is that I can't afford finecast and that one inch of movement less for no reason really bugs me.Thanks
and a shaman is going to be revenge for blubbery mass(I play against goblin town and flails counting as spears are stupid)

Villager

Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:41 pm

da krimson barun wrote:My main problem is that I can't afford finecast

Well that's not the armies fault.

If you need Prowlers they can be cheaply converted, I have written an article on this HERE

Squire

Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:44 pm

da krimson barun wrote:My main problem is that I can't afford finecast

You can always convert some regular goblins - the easiest thing to do would be to just add cloaks, but if you're up to it you could try to file their armor down and sculpt tunics. Also, given that they're named "blackshields", you could give some models alternate shields and paint them black. Helmet plumes are another option to help elite troops stand out.

Regarding the original post, I think isolated, goblins may look a little lackluster compared to orcs on paper, but in terms of greater synergy in the force overall they work well and, as lotrchampion points out, Moria is still a pretty competitive list. Almost any profile can look over/underpowered, if you choose the right profile to compare it against, but how they actually work in an army is much more pertinent to balance.

Squire

Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:40 pm

try goblin horde! 10 warbands at 1k = 130 goblins.
39 shots can hurt just ask an elves player bout goblin shooting
and a front line of 45 won't get flanked for a while but loads spare to
flank the enemies army! plus fury will save a few of your numbers. I have 1/2 saves
with a boosted fury on my easterling last weekend.

Squire

Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:54 pm

I am definetly going to convert some blackshields and prowlers now but how would the staff feel about me using them in store?And does anybody know a guide for a person who never worked with green stuff before?I don't want to destroy
a load of goblins(well my ones anyway)

Squire

Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:03 pm

But has anybody noticed the fact that Blackshields have the same fight as a warrior?And that ancient enemy's has no effect anymore due to feinting.

Squire

Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:48 pm

Prowlers with shields aren't made by GW, so using conversions is fine. Prowlers are real easy, just take a triangle of green stuff, make a balaclava with it on the gobbo's face, then take another triangle, and make a hood. Done.
Game Reviews. Top 5 Lists, and more:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SuicidalMarsbar

Next
Return to SBG Army Building & Tactics