Pure Khand!

Let's hunt some Orc! For discussion of tactics and army lists for the LotR: Strategy Battle Game.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Pure Khand!

Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:41 am

Gday guys, I'm really looking forward to playing my full khand list after finally getting my hands on some cav.

The list so far:

Khandish king on chariot with bow
Khandish king on chariot with bow
Easterling war priest (converted to look khand)
18 khandish warriors
11 khandish horsemen
3 chariots with bow
Easterling banner (converted to look khand)
Khandish cheif on chariot with bow

I'll need to double check, but I reckon it rounds out to about 800 points.

I'm really excited to dive into eastern kingdoms, which means Easterlings aswell, but I've got a load of them ready.

So I'm looking forward to trying out this list a bit, possibly adding some easterlings to it, would love to get my hands on some more cav but then I might break the bow limit (which I think I have accidentally done above, will just be some tweaking of the numbers)

Has anyone played much with or against Khand before?

Do you rate having multiple kings, chariots, and using an easterling war priest?

Site Admin

Re: Pure Khand!

Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:07 pm

That's a really good selection of models!

Has anyone played much with or against Khand before?

Do you rate having multiple kings, chariots, and using an easterling war priest?

I have played a few games with them, and quite a lot against them. The War Priest is very useful; usually you will just want him for Fury (and that really means for Channeled Fury!) rather than his other spell. It provides a 5++ invulnerable save for Men, which is almost unique.

Regarding chariots, they are fairly average for warriors but very good for heroes. I would recommend one for a Khandish King, who gets the best value out of this expensive upgrade. Buying him one costs more than an entire Khandish Chariot model, but it pays off very well on a Fight 6 model with might, fate and 2 wounds.

Standard Bearer

Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:55 am

I had great success with them prior to the war bands rules. The ability to field a large horde of low defense, but above average FV troops with a couple/three heroes made them tough. Post war bands and the Khandish lost their ooomph. They can't take/muster the numbers to offset their low defense. The warpriest helps, but not enough. Post The Hobbit rules those chariots become 50 mm Frisbees for any monster on the table. The chariots are weaker against monstrous models than their much less expensive cavalry counterparts.

There is no good game reason to field chariots anymore. They've been crippled beyond repair for their points. Khandish horsemen are great in my opinion. The newest rules took some of their bite away with the move and shoot penalty, but they are still good mounted archers that have a superior FV for when you need to get into a scrum.

I have not taken my Khandish out of their box more than twice under the new rules.

Tim
Last edited by hixont on Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

Villager

Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:39 am

Thanks for the replies guys!

It's a shame there are so many little issues that add up making them a little less competitive. But against fully themed forces hopefully they can pull their weight!

Monsters will be pretty rough though!

I'll be play testing the list on Tuesday, I love the idea of chariots, but they really arn't all that good in theory haha, I reckon it would be awesome if they could barge!

I'm gonna need to touch up on my monsterous mount rules prior to Tuesday!

I'm thinking maybe a WainRider Easterling Khand force might be a little bit more competitive, but it's not as cool as pure Khand!

Site Admin

Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:23 am

I agree with Hixont on all his points, but still think there is room for a Chariot on the King model. It's an expensive mount, and isn't cutting-edge competitive, but with the King driving it does have some staying power, and can wrack up some kills.

Return to SBG Army Building & Tactics