Spear Support for Durin's Folk

Let's hunt some Orc! For discussion of tactics and army lists for the LotR: Strategy Battle Game.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Spear Support for Durin's Folk

Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:48 pm

What is most "acceptable" form of spear support for LOTR Dwarves?
Erebor?
Allies with another army such as Arnor?

Or is it frowned upon in general?

Thanks.

Villager

Re: Spear Support for Durin's Folk

Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:37 am

Warriors of Erebor can take spears. They're really good because of that.

I don't know what you mean by 'acceptable', the spears are in their rules. If your opponent doesn't accept the spears, stab his army with them until they do ! :lol:

Villager

Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:25 am

I have seen wood elves used, you know for F5 spear support, but it's a bit cheesy.
Erebor is much more appropriate.
LOTR: 3000pts ANGMAR, 1200 MINAS TIRITH, 2000 DWARFS, 12000 ELVES. I HAVE A PROBLEM... not enough models. :mrgreen:

Villager

Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:54 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I have Erebor spears that I will use.

I have a small Arnor force of Spear/Bow Rangers and ROtN and the "Furious" Malbeth.

They do nicely but when the Dwarf up front is taken out the Rangers are quite squishy.

Is this tactic one that is widely used?

I normally play with the same 4 people so we don't see a lot of other armies.

Villager

Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:25 pm

Hi!
Warriors of Erebor are quite expensive choice, and they give you nothing except second attack. If I were you, I'd like to get other spear support, like a Rangers of Arnor with Malbeth or Wood Elves.
I've never seen army of combined Rangers and Durin's Folkn together on the board. It's quite expensive - for 1 Khazad Guard and Ranger of Arnor you must pay 20 points! It looks better when you use Wood Elves for such things. It is cheaper by 1 point and not such durable(is this correct word?) as Ranger of Arnor with Malbeth on his backs. I don't know how it looks on British/American tournaments, but at us, in Poland, there are lots of armies with Strength 4(mainly Morannon Orcs), where the difference in Defence of these models doesn't matter - they are always killed on fours. Obviously, Malbeth makes them more resistant to their enemies. And, of course, Fight 5 is much better vs the Uruk-Hai and many evilmen, e. g Abrakhan Guard. Additionally, you can use Shielding rules with Wood Elves. Also, quite good wizard which is Galadriel can have them in her warband. Thranduil is quite good choice as well.

Hope you enjoy that,
Grond ;)

Villager

Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:19 pm

As a Dwarf player myself and don't like the look of the hobbit models I am going to get some Grey company allies for my dwarfs in larger games so i can get those lovely spears and bows!

Site Admin

Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:32 am

That works. It does mean there is a tempting set of targets available for a smart enemy who can outflank the lines or fire through them, but it is effective.

Villager

Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:23 am

Another option would be Gondor or if using it as a second age list Numenoreans with spears both are same cost as a ranger with spear with higher def than grey company with good low cost heroes in the captains

Return to SBG Army Building & Tactics